www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Reboot from Rotwang - Vic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
Ondray

I know your feel Steve, I was real close to buying one of those $400 arc/tig/plasma cutters - seeing that someone else recommends them has me really really close lol.

I am really liking the shiny chrome on the bot too.

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:35 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Thanks guys, few more piccys. Just a few of the drum bots apart for painting. We have 4 drum bots this year, most of our fleet. Just worked out that way. Reboot, Reboot The Second and Minimower Mk II.

Last edited by Rob Team Rotwang on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:24 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

Made it to canberra.

Last robot test before we left, Reboot II, first spin up. Looks ferocious
https://youtu.be/hq805rA69jc

Post Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:29 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

Pics from the weekend

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/762378/library/robowarsnats2016

Post Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:22 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Robowars Nats Brisbane 2017

Event photos, Proboably had about 15 fights myself. 7 with Reboot, 5 with Minimower (1 was a bye) 3ish with Hydra.

They were some tough competitors. I remember seeing the draw for day 2 and Reboot was matched agaisnt Frags, Minimower against Obliviator. Bender against Mangle! Shocked

https://www.facebook.com/robbyjstott/media_set?set=a.10155796860806424.1073741848.600901423&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/robbyjstott/media_set?set=a.10155790160746424.1073741847.600901423&type=3

Planning a new reboot for next year.

The drive home from Brisbane gave us a lot of time to plan new developments with our team. Some of our 6 came away looking good, both benders and skeletor dont need a lot of work. Hydras axe could use a bigger spring, Minimower needs a little panel beating but for Reboot there's no way to go other than a total rebuild.

Dad couldn't make Reboot quite the way he wanted with over a quarter of the weight invested in the 3.6kg drum. To add, I wanted to keep the reliable scooter drives. Which frustratingly were never reliable with chains. That left him using very thin shs for areas of the frame which simply crumpled against the likes of Dream crusher, Frags and Obliviator.

So what we were discussing was cutting approx 4cm off the end of the drum, recycling the end caps. Re positioning the teeth.

The rubber casing for bearings was a success. Bearings are still perfect.

Recycling the scooter/chain friction mechanism which has been 90% reliable (spring pushrod tensioner snapped off in both drum bots)

Go back to 24v 100w scooter motors with brand name belts. Hydras had zero issues running quality belts and scooter motors. With I think, 12v overvolted drives.
I find I cant use the extra speed with the 12v, save for the enhanced gyro dance. Belt drive will save weight.

In regards to armour options. We were discussing making a pattern for 3mm Hardox and bending it around like Bender IV.

Or

Thicker Valiant s-series bumper bar. Dads got some ends aoready saved from a scrapped car. Minimower has held up decently with Valiant bumper bar compared to Reboots paper thin Centura bumper bar.

Or

Motorbike Tyre

Or

A combination ie some hardox plate where necessary and the rest Valiant bumper. Minimower stainless steel gasbottle rear plate.

Other improvements

Fix any errors ie the weapon mounting tube was on back to front by accident, so we could never shim the motors to tension the chain.

cap the ends of the drum shaft so the drum can't bind up if the frame squishes in, that happened a couple of times this event.

So I just found out after dad pulled the drum off Reboot. That the shaft had bananad! which surprised me as its over 2cms of aluminium. Im now interested in looking at Titanium shaft.

Have the balance of weight over the front skids

Weight points allowing, Titanium top plate to stiffen up whole structure

Hardox tube for drum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjzmnp7y59o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrYtuaGEvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eUtW5cFEq4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzHQM5_QC8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ctbg0Oyek&t=17s

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

My memory of some of the fights.

Minimower vs Poorly designed Got a bye on this fight, Team Magnum ran short of time pre event and their drum robot had some electronic issues to iron out. Onto the next round.

Minimower vs Vanguard I got to fight Angus with Vanguard while he was still fresh out of the box and working. I basically went weapon to weapon with Vanguard, too maneuverable to risk a side on attack. Not a lot of notable damage inflicted to either robots Vanguards armor is completely welded hardox.
I was pretty nervous about the small VD weapon after underestimating Dream Crusher last year and getting beaten. I had adjusted my exponential to 50% on the radio and was keeping my driving slow and accurate. After a few exchanges Vanguard 3D printed parts broke, which Angus kinda expected. I won this fight.

Minimower vs Obliterator
Day 2 fight draw became available on saturday night and I got to tell Dad the bad news we were matched against the hardest hitting spinners in the competition. Bender vs Mr Mangle, Reboot against Frags and Minimower against Obliterator. This fight lasted maybe a minute. I may've tried to take my time looking for an opening that wasnt weapon to weapon but Glen was too maneuverable to offer any other option. So I tried to reduce damage to myself and keep the drum towards Obliterators horisontal disk. Minimowers drum is 6mm thick pipe and a reasonably hard grade of steel. The drum and axle took the most Obliterator could deal out and copped a really good scar with a few cm of upwards inflection showing we both had the weapons hammering at the time. A scar alongside scars left by Glens VD Demon years ago. This fight I had no hits on the friction wheel area. I lost a wheel and as the countdown started Obliterator got one cheeky slap on Minimowers pink love heart encrusted rear. When I checked Minimower over in the pits I found the side bumper was ripped at the front leg. The shell was twisted too. Ground clearance became a problem in my next 2 fights due to the loss of frame integrity. Took a tooth clean off the drum. Obliterator took no damage. He won the fight, off to the loosers round I go.

Minimower vs Shatta
Shatta we meet again. I put Harleys Shatta in the loosers round with Reboot on day1. This fight was fun. We introduced our bots to the crowd and the fight went the whole 3 minutes. I had the control for this fight, getting a lot of hits on Shatta's sides and back. Minimower received a dent on the friction wheel travel path and it might've been this fight or against mangle which snapped the spring tensioner pushrod for the friction wheel since a dent there would've given the mechanism a hammering. The cracks in my frame got wider and a hit under Minimower left the rear skid plate raised enough to compromise my movement. Shatta had movement issues with ground clearance. So the last 30 seconds was spent inches apart with our weapons at max speed agonizing our way towards each other haha. Shattas movement wasnt demonstrable in the final moments so the fight went to me.

Minimower vs Mr Mangle
Dad with Bender IV put Nick with Mr Mangle into the looser round and Nick quickly ran into another Rotwang Robot, Minimower. There was lots of weapon to weapon action in this fight, I tried to be brave and not let off at all with the attacks. Many dents shown on my bumpers, softened up one of my colsons. Mangle was panel beating me during the fight. I had lost ground clearance and a knock fixed me up then another knock reversed things for me. Then a total flip over turned out to be greatly beneficial I had more clearance dirty side up, why didnt I do that to begin with! I almost had this fight because Mr Mangle lost one drive side due to ESC issues but annoyingly my power linkage popped apart in the last 30 seconds or so, some extra foam in the compartment would've saved me here or switching to different connectors. Had I won I would've joined my other badly damaged drum bot Reboot and Insanity in the next round, also bender IV but there was no replacement drives for Bender so one of mine would've got a bye, thats about as close as we got to fighting ourselves. The win went to Mr Mangle.

Now for Reboots journey...

Reboot vs ii Contraption
My first fight for the open class was against ii Contraption. I had my controller set to 50% exponential and I kept the fight under control with good slow steady aggressive driving. Dealing hits on all sides of Contraption. I think this fight went the whole 3 minutes. I received some significant tears to my outer shell and a good chunk taken out on the back corner. Eventually Contraptions weapon failed due to their pulley jamming up and I won the fight on a judges decision.

Reboot vs Shatta
Ending the first day with Reboot was a match against Harleys drum bot Shatta. A tough smaller fast spinning drum bot. Both of ours have 3.6kg drums, Shatta likely spins faster with the brushless drive. Shatta made a couple of really impressive gouges on the side of my drum which is 5mm thick stainless. Then I hit him in a similar spot and shredded the weapon belt. I got stuck ontop of Shatta and that contributed to a drive chain dropping off. I also had my drum bind up in this round or the next, still worked but the weapon motor got hot and the drum slowed down. It was an ongoing issue. I limped to the win on judges decision with my weapon still active and disabling Shattas weapon early on helping to pull the win my way.

Reboot vs Frags
What can I say at the end of Reboot and Frags besides HOLY S@#T! Dylons STD Frags is a monster. Watch Angus highlights clip to see Reboot being launched halfway across the arena, hitting polycarb halfway up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16OkYY4ki2I. To list the damages, top frame totally disconnected from the front legs. The cross piece that the friction mechanism hangs off disconnected. Reboot then commit seppuku the drum tooth driving the mechanism down. My strategy in this fight was to keep the weapon to weapon, I wouldve liked to get to the sides of Frags but I never got the opportunity and I found out fast that Frags would tear me a new one if I got a hit anywhere else than my drum. I ended up backed into a corner to protect my sides, with no drive. For the first time not because my chain fell off but because the chrome bumpers were pushed hard against the left wheel. While I was in the corner on the ropes Dylon got greedy and went in for another hit, bouncing me halfway up the wall and coming down on Frags, Frags launched to the other side of the arena landing upside down gouging a hole into the floor. Giving Reboot a very lucky win snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

Reboot vs NC
This fight against Jake with NC almost didn't happen, I told Steve Id rather leave on a win than go in again just to loose. Anyway looked at what was required to bang out Reboot into shape. Found out it was possible to at least drive I went in for the sake of the crowds entertainment and I figured you never know what can happen to an opponent they might burn out. Also I was reminded keros ranking wasnt update anymore. There was no real surprises, NC bashed me around off 4 walls for the full 3 minutes, I lost a drive chain. The win went to NC. Then I found out it was still a double elimination and I could fight again, felt like a bonus.

Reboot vs Mr Mangle
This was the second time I fought Mr Mangle, after being defeated by Minimower. Following NC's fight I found out I could spin my drum..sortof. This fight was a surprise win. I dont recall how it played out too well, I might've pinned Mr Mangle against the wall at one point, bumped heads a bit without my weapon running. Eventually Mr Mangle had ECU issues again and I won the fight.

Reboot vs Insanity
This was a close game, Insanity's weapon was disabled in a previous match. I gained some more points in this fight due to my weapon working albeit at 500rpm. No real damage sustained to either robot. Pretty equal control. Reboot was a little more aggressive with the weapon that's what got me the win here. This win gave me 3rd place and my opportunity to fight Glen again unfortunately.

Reboot vs Obliterator
The final nail in the coffin for Reboot II. It was a short brutal match against Glens monster spinner Obliterator. I think I got hit half a dozen times, every hit doing some critical damage. I had a smashed motor and a chain off, totally immobile. The front was torn apart a couple of cm. Theres some impressive dents in the drum. A tooth missing. Wheel took a hit, bent the high tensile bolt. Probably this fight that bent the drum shaft which is 25mm 7075 aluminium.

Thanks to Steve Martin and everyone involved putting the event together. Really liked the venue and location. I could tell the theater was a good atmosphere for the crowd. They really got into it. Team Rotwang will be back next year me with Reboot and Mini mower, Gary with Bender IV and another new one.

Last edited by Rob Team Rotwang on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

https://www.facebook.com/rotwangrobotics/

Post Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:46 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

our $10,000 feather

Robowars 2018 Nationals Brisbane

Reboot III
13.6kg
brushless weapon motor 620rpm x V
single multi v 6 rib weapon belt Rotwangs first non friction wheel drum!!!
5 cell battery graphene turnigy 1300mah
4mm HDOX wedge 4mm HDOX front mild sides
scooter wheels drives 24v

big thanks to miles and jules for providing welding at their house friday night before the event.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoRy1jlHw8n/?taken-by=badvf1

Only when i got to MJ's I noticed i was over weight, had to loose top bottom arm for binder cover plastic.

welded on a 3rd tooth to balance drum.

found the drum was touching the ground as it wasnt designed for that drum i just ran out of time for actual t slot drum i had planned.

had issues welding the pulley onto the brushless. it took 3 attempts cause its some weird steel i made it out of or something.

made it to the quarter finals 2 wins? against a VD Junker and VD contraption

1 loss to VD Dreamcrusher

Think I had another fight in there but cant remeber who..

First day was basically pushing matches. Junkers weapon broke pretty fast.

made it through the first day with no losses, without a weapon, that was just lucky.

not bad for a robot that was mostly put together in the last week.

dad had the electonics put together, we had a experimental inner frame, the hardox arrived on the monday and we left on thursday.

first spin up was friday night at miles and jules.

the pulley wasnt on centric and the weapon motor wasnt mounted rigidly enough. the belt popped off.

halfway through the event i went to bunnings and got some bits of metal and welded them on to re work the mount.

i lasted the whole fight without belts falling off against contraption and dreamcrusher.

i didnt do a flip with the gyro forces but it got damn close. was a bit too close to wall and other bot interrupted.

neweyn noticed that the frame touched down. which i thought it might, but i didnt want to make it a box i went for a unique shape. so i might re work it but try keep the reboot look flowing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoRtR65nuLA/?taken-by=badvf1

walk around

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoOdJ6nHwSC/?taken-by=badvf1

cad pic

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmZ4NPVDJSr/?taken-by=badvf1

so its a 10,000 feather cause i bought a mill to make the drum and i bought a gaming laptop to cad the robot.

i only got around to using the mill to drill holes in an old reboot drum i cut down to 3kg.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:46 pm 
MoonSet416

Re: our $10,000 feather

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Team Rotwang:

Think I had another fight in there but cant remeber who..

you fought me twice Razz

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:54 pm