www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Middleweight Madness!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

MM we only have feather weights and one heavy weight in our stables we started on the heavy and it took about 3 years of building but started on feathers when every one in oz started building them the heavy isnt drivable at the moment as it needs controlers.
I could throw an all terain middle weight together but at this stage dont know when i will ever be able to aford another trip to Vic

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:06 pm 
andrew

YAY for big bots

I am building a extremely large steel chassis and armoured 4 wheel drive mechanical monster for my metalwork year 12 project and so far i am extremely pleased with it.

In its being built to be crazy and artistic and cool looking state for marks at school it would get some hard work and expensive bits damaged me thinks maybe but without alot of modifications it could become a low 4 wheel drive brick with a lifting something on front or clamping mechanism since im buying 3 1/2 tonne linear actuators for it.

Will use a 300 watt motor with chain and sprocket from site per wheel and everything will be overvolted to 36 volts for outrageous speed and fun.

WIll use the rs80 d controller also.

WIll get it built before end of term 3 at school as ist basically due then arounds but if anything happens in future its a definite contender for largeish bots.

I just hope it fits in middleweight weight limit.

COulod people post pics of any biggish australian machines please

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:14 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

id like to have a crack at something like that one day, its just that finding dumped wheelchair motors and go kart parts is nigh on impossible.

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Dont be in too much of a hurry to move on up in the weight classes guys..

While its great that some Arena's are developing now that can handle the bigger bots, remember the cost goes up dramatically.. RS-80's, MMC's, (and bigger controllers) - Bigger Batteries, Motors and so on are now all on peoples minds.

First, I think the Lightweight class needs some more bots to fill it up before we all get *too* excited about middles and heavies. and the keeping "no spinners" in the lightweight class should encourage more creativity and less armour in that class (I hope).

I'm just as excited at the idea of being able to fire up Lawnmower and The Acid Test and make some big sized chunks of steel fly about by making the middleweight class a spinner-friendly zone.

But unless you are one of the people who already has a fairly successful featherweight bot and has some experience of the costs and work involved, I'd advise Newbies working on their first bots to stay in no-spinner lightweights or featherweights for now.

I think the middle and heavyweights going in the off-road direction eventually will be a more exciting concept.

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
id like to have a crack at something like that one day, its just that finding dumped wheelchair motors and go kart parts is nigh on impossible.

Well, in that case I have done the nigh on impossible twice. I scored a loose pair of wheelchair motors at a car swap meet very cheap and an almost complete chair at a Sunday market for a very reasonable figure. The swap meet pair is in Bulldoze Very Happy

As far as go cart bits I think that Sidetracked might help out with some slightly buckled wheels etc

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:32 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah theres a racetrack out near wilberforce that apparently has a dump area full of those kind of things. might have to look around there.

mmmm interesting about the wheelchairs, i usually go around to the swap meets at the drive ins and havent seen any. ah well soldier on and wait for me Smile

btw what sort of RPM do those things have on tap?

quote:
I think the middle and heavyweights going in the off-road direction eventually will be a more exciting concept.

wouldnt mind betting that, i have no idea how the hell the americans finance such huge arenas.

it would introduce another apsect into the combat anyway which would be sealing up the electronics and things to stop dirt and what not creeping its way in.

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:38 pm 
Abregado

I must agree with Bretts suggestion for builders to start on the smaller weight calsses. At the moment, the middleweight sistuation will be just an Exhibition match, maybe once/twice a year at most. Dont rush out to build an expensive bot when you cant get much use out of it.

The event date will be completly dependant on the builders, and will be discussed when i visit them.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:56 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

i sat ATRAX ontop or SORRY so i guess thats around 26kg today and it didnt slow it at all in fact it helped with traction and i slamed a full 20l drum of glue into the work bench so bring on the lightweights lets do that first ,build up slowly Wink Very Happy

Post Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:12 pm