www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Vertex - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Today i pulled a couple of gear boxes form some drills i got cheap apart and was hopeing to find all metal gears likke the same brand hammer drill we pulled apart ... not as much luck the out put shaft is a bigger dia and the gears and gear carrier look a lot higher grade steel than the x u 1's but the first gears were plastic and looked identical to the xui's .
Ive decided to use the steel gears out of it on the xu1 gearboxes as they fit in .
I had a look and guesed if i beef the first gear set up to steel i am probaly going to have some probs of pins starting to break on the second stage the same as every one else .
I took a long hard look at the gear box and did some mental measurments and have come up with a modification that should beef it up x6.Ive extended the pins and made another carrier plate then ive drilled this to suit the gear pins and then drilled both cariers inbetween the gears as well and then added 3 more pins between the two cariers i then positined it and presed the whole lot together . There is enough room in the front of the gear housing to be able to mac
hine 2mm off the end of the shaft bush and plastic flange and there is enough room for the final gears to drop a bit further down inside the stationary gear to make up the room of the new carrier plate.
All i have to do now is put a couple of shim washers behind the circlip and put it all together .
ill put some low res pics up on the photo's page and get Aron to take some better ones with his good camera when he can .

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:26 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I fitted the new gear box today and gave it a bit of a thrashing so far no breakages if it goes well i will modify the other one ,but i havent done any tests carying another bot yet as i still havent fixed the lifter problem .
I might have a play with that tomorow i'm guesing that ive got a stuck relay again ..might have to look at some sort of fet bridge for it as it only caries about 15 -20 amps stall but its the higher voltage welding the relays im guesing .

Post Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:04 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I had a play about with my lifter controler and found that one of the fetts had gone closed circute and was holding one of the relays on i have fixed it and put in a couple of diodes to prevent the relays spikeing the fetts as im guseing this is what happened to it .
I picked up vertical limits with it and and carried it around for a while to give the drive a good thrashing and so far the modified gear box is staying together Very Happy

Post Tue May 03, 2005 7:53 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

It hasn't been trashed until David has driven it again Very Happy Good to hear that gearbox mod is holding up.

Post Tue May 03, 2005 9:45 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Mmmm..... the lifter was working fine all day until somes ones chain saw .. wont mention whos got caught under it by mistake and the arm bent causeing the limit switches to be non efective in turn causeing the motor to burn out lol ..I had a 7 year old girl driveing it ..she was geting prety good at it too lifting empty boxes and blocks of wood around the shed until the little accident lol she now wants to be my driver so watch out Mell Very Happy .

I din't have another motor of that type so its been replaced with a drill motor i only have to conect the two wires in the morning and give it a test then i will strenghten the bit that bent as well the same way i made heamorages piece which also bent before it was strenghened. I was going to do it ages ago but forgot .. its a weak part in an out of sight place Embarassed one good thing the moded gear box is still holding up it hasnt broken yet even when Megan picked up a lawn mower when i turned my back for a minute lol .I think i need to replace the wheels again as they are nearly worn down to the red rims Very Happy

Post Sat May 07, 2005 10:33 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Hey, watch my poor chain saw! I need that thing intact Crying or Very sad No picaxe relay controllers for you Twisted Evil

Post Sat May 07, 2005 11:51 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

lol it dint get hurt it just got in the way as she put the lifter down but it hapened to be up on one of thew front out riggers so as the lifter came down it got wedged and made the lifter bend sidways at the fulcrum point .

Post Sun May 08, 2005 8:39 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Ive added a robot stats Form to my first thread post in this thread http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
.If every one likes it we will add it to the start of build reports and also start another thread with only the stats for each robot in it that can be linked to the build report .

Have a look and let me know in this thread what you think or iff any more info needs to be included i will remove the chat posts from here later when the form is finalised.

Post Wed May 11, 2005 1:08 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Good idea
Maybe add events attended and results achieved.
Win loss ratios are good but it should be listed if robots have won events.
After all isnt that what we would all like to do

Post Wed May 11, 2005 2:21 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Was going to try and keep it as simple as posible so newbies and others can compare diferent types of bots and their specks ect .. it will depend on how hard it is to up date the specs on every ones build page .. the idea is for every one to replace their first build post with this form so they can (hopefully) edit stats ect them selves

Post Wed May 11, 2005 7:39 pm