www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

get wet in this freezing weather. R u mad Smile.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:13 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks for all the advise - I might pass on the raincoat cutting method though. I was using good quality HSS blades that were recommended for stainless steel. I had the jigsaw set for a agressive cut and I was pushing it pretty hard to stay ahead of the hardening zone. The guys on the Battlebot forum seemed to have sucess witht this method, so I am not sure why its not working so well for me.

The main problem is that the blades cut off-track when they start to go blunt and its near impossible to keep a straight line

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:55 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Following on from the Ti cutting problems, I submitted quote requests to four different places around Sydney. They cover laser, water jet and plasma cutting. It will be very interesting to see which is cheapest.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:02 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'll be interested to hear about the results of your quotes Nick, since I'm going to make a titanium scoop/base plate for Scoopy-Doo and I'd like it cut to shape with wheel cutouts and so on.

Post Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have 2 quotes back for the Ti cutting; after taking out freight one is $165 and the other $154. This is for 5 panels with 77 holes. It looks like they all charge a 20 to $25 set up fee and then either the cutting length or "per part" - it seems to work out much the same. For a 4 sided bot, this would likely be a little cheaper.

Both places were capable of laser & waterjet and recommended water as being cheaper, at least for Ti. Its also clear that fitting as many parts into the one job saves on the setup costs. Both places prefer drawings in Autocad DXF format and can do the job in around 5 days.

Based on the slightly cheaper cost (so far), I would recommend Laser Wizard at St Marys http://www.laserwizard.com.au/home1.htm

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:22 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

You will find that most profile cutting mobs will charge a minium fee. so I would recoment that you design all your parts that you need then get them done / quoted.

Post Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:31 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It looks like the plasma cutting place and the 3rd waterjet place are not interested in small quotes (or they are just slack) so Laserwizard gets the job. I added some panels from Basilisk Mag to the job so the entire sheet is used - saves another $20 setup cost later on, as mentioned above.

I opened up the remaining 3 EV Warrior motors that I broke at the Annhilator - they are totally trashed! It looks like the first one I opened was also the least damaged. All three had at least one dead brush, meaning that most battles were fought at 1/2 power.

I finalised the design of Basilisk Mag yesterday - its a bit narrower and longer than the old version, with less of a pointed back. Estimated weight is down to 12.1 Kg, so the finished weight will definitely be well under 13Kg. Lets hope it doesn't self-destruct like Totally Offensive Smile

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:07 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey nick, just noticed where laserwizard is, literally 5 minutes up the road from my place.

ill probably put my order in at that place seeing as that WH wilkes place hasnt even mailed back.

can i ask how much all the cutting will cost?

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

My job was quoted around $150, but yours will be cheaper as its only one part and has WAY less holes. Get on to their site and send a quote request with somewhere they can FAX it to, along with an autocad DXF file. They got back to me next day and seemed really helpful.

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:48 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

will do, hope rhino saves in DXF

Post Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:55 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Work started on Basilisk Mag today - here are some very early photos showing the parts and the general shape:

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=163

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=162

That's obviously not the final battery or relay but the real things will fit just fine. The only thing too big is the tail shaft on the mag, so off it comes!

The amazing thing is that the only real difference between This bot and my lightweight Artemis is 5 Nicads and 2.7Kg extra of weapon bar Shocked .

I heard that the missing parts left Robot Marketplace weeks ago, so this bot is a definite for Marayong 7 - can't wait! Very Happy

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:11 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hi Nick,

I dont know for sure if that relay I see sitting next to the IBC is intended to power the mag-motor, but if it is, I'd look into some alternatives. Not sure what the peak current draw of a mag-motor is, but I'll bet its way less than 30 (or even 70 if its the big relay).

I welded about 3 relays at the annihlator event just powering motors with heaps less power than a mag, and I dont think I was the only one.. I'd hate to think about not being able to power down that beast if the relay contacts stick..

Other than that, all I have to say is I'm glad we're in Vic, and you're in NSW ! Shocked

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:26 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Point well taken, Brett! The relay (it's a 60 amper) just happened to be sitting on the bench when I was taking the photos - The mag would surely vaporise it in a second.

If you look closely, you will see the relay is sitting on a much bigger outline. That's for a Whyachi C1 contactor which seems to be a top choice for a mag, plus its easy to mount.

It's just a cheap, quick flight to Melbourne - when was the next Sidetrack event? Laughing

The other thing that isn't apparent from the photos, is that this new version is actually smaller than the one I had at the Annhilator and only 10mm taller (excluding the weapon shaft).

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:14 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What grade of titanium do you use, Nick? How much does it cost? How would it stand up to a hit from your spinning bar? Thanks.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:33 am 
andrew

Oh man. Im going to get ahnialated. Oh well scrap needs a early retiring anyway's. I need new projects and scrap takes up too much time and money and stress. Tell u what. last event of the series u can fire up basilisk mag or even srtemis if u want and ill take teh weopon off and we will have a rumble.

Post Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:49 am