www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Range finder
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

The boat I am building is quite wide with a flat bottom so stability isn't an issue.

I will be putting about 15 kg of lead at the bottom of the boat bellow the waterline to get it to float at the right level. There will also be motors and batteries and other heavier components bollow the waterline. The low centre of gravity will help keep the boat stable.

Post Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:38 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

my thaught with the big gun ships would be to operate as they actually did "back in the day"
use say a 5" deck gun with a high refire rate to get their range then once you have them bracketed hit them with the big guns.
spend a day (or a few hours) on the pond mapping the elevations between the 5" and the 18" guns so that you can reliably fire both and get them to hit the same spot.

put a PIC in or something such that you just slew and elevate the 5" and it'll automagically aim the main guns for you to hit the same position. Then you just tell it what to fire.

heck if you really wanted "authenticity" make up a paper table that contains the elevation map. (ie 12 deg on the 5" = 8deg on the main guns)

Post Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number