www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

PIC Chips and Radios

Author    Thread
bobthebotbuilder

PIC Chips and Radios

I have built a miniature walking bot, the legs are compromised of 4 servos that control the movement, this has all been programmed into a PIC chip.
The robot itself walks nicely. but now I want to get a radio for it so I can control it remotely, I haven’t had much experience with radios so my question is how do I wire it up so that when I push the forward button on the radio it walks forward and when I push back it walks back?

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:47 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.lynxmotion.com/

Might be usefull Smile

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:01 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

If you already have the PIC micro sequencing the motors, the RC stuff should be simple.

If you want to use standard Hobby RC Gear, just hook up a PIC input to the servo-signal wire from a hobby receiver, and use a "pulse-in" type command (interrupt driven timers if you want to get fancy) to measure the pulse width coming from the receiver.

1500us = Center, 1000us=left/back, 2000us = right/forward (depending on which channel you are receiving).

From there it should be easy for someone who already has the bot walking .. Smile

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bobthebotbuilder

PIC Chips and Radios

I was thinking of using the Futaba 9CHP Super, I have one from a past project I built.

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:43 pm 
Shaunington III

Ok, this is off the last question, but how do i control a neumatic servo with a r/c car controller with only up, down, left and right? Razz

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:18 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Here is a discription of pneumatics http://www.technobots.co.uk/Technical/Guidance/A%20Guide%20to%20the%20Design%20and%20Use%20of%20Low%20Pressure%20Pneumatics%20On%20Fighting%20Robots.htm

Up in the top right of the screen you will find a "search" button. You will be able to find many questions have already been answered.

Does the RC unit have a spare chanel to control the pneumatics? You need ne chanel for forwards and reverse and another for left and right. You could use a servo to depress a poppet valve which would open a small amount of air. You could also use a servo to activate a micro switch. The switch would turn on a solenoid valve.

I use the RC signal to switch a RC relay which sends electricity to a solenoid valve. http://www.electronize.co.uk/model_electronics_frames.htm The valve feeds CO2 into a ram.

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:18 pm 
Shaunington III

Thanks, that a massive help =)

Razz

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:48 pm