www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Cheap cordless drills put to the test.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
that where lathed down by the look of them. guess we need to wait for gary to de-lurk on that one

Put bolt through wheel, mounted wheel in drill press, spin wheel while holding file against rotation. backyard machining and moderately safe when you use common sense.

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:08 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Mower's end caps were machined on the lathe, if I were in need of a lathe most secondary schools have them in their metal work rooms. As far as sourcing out where those came from, their available at the warehouse.

Recreating Gary's intricate framework would be ambitious for a beginner but there's more ways to skin a cat (what terrible phrase Confused).

Agreeably as Brett said Drum bots are reliable, Mini Mower fought well against 2 high ke spinners during annihilator tag team while ballistic was trapped in the gap along the wall. At low speed they don't need to be precision made and can tolerate this sort of damage and still operate.

It's a promising weapon choice if your intending to use a drill motor. I certainly have fun driving Mini Mower because of the control it can maintain over an opponent.

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:51 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Why not these hub from pneumatic wheels? Metal, bearing, mounting holes.

And I have a video of Budget Bot version 1. Sorry about the music.

http://kkeerroo.zippyvideos.com/gallery.z

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:18 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Probably for weight reasons, it certainly would be easier to fit the 4 inch pipe onto the metal hub and weld a few spots. The plastic also absorbs some energy from the high ke bar spinners...we have kind of got over the plastic wheels for ReBoot and using fiberglass polyurethane type insert, the plastic wheels were sometimes inconsistent with the quality and that's why one shattered when I hooked onto Glens bot with my new extra grip teeth drum. The good drum has lasted many fights on the same red wheel inserts but we wont risk it for Brisbane.
It pays to test the red wheels in case you've ended up with a brittle batch I think we learnt Confused

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:26 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ahh budget bot so long ago. Total cost was like $250 starting with nothing. It had two arms with 500g axe heads a radius of about 1m and was at a 45 degree angle. It was powered buy a cordless drill onto a shaft that went through a peice of pipe to a hinge for the axes. Only every burnt out 1 motor because I left it running when it got hooked on annihalation.

It really shouldnt have worked looking back now but it is the only one I have built so far that really has worked as it was supposed to.

As for pictures I think most of them went with the ABBL site. Speaking of which I really did like the robot entry page and how it came up on the side of the main site.

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:38 pm