www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

"insert witty name here" - Team Shorts - Victoria

Author    Thread
ShortsRacing

"insert witty name here" - Team Shorts - Victoria

Current Status: Vapour

Reason for starting this report is it is very likely that myself and a friend could be getting involved. So that could mean 2 more entrants. Mine is now in the decision stage so I now consider the project as commenced.

As the 12kg class seems the most popular that will be adopted for TS-X1 (Team Shorts Xperimental 1) and an appropriate name will be applied closer to completion.

Robot type: Something with "Active Destruction Potential"... no fun just flipping your opponent... we want to see DAMAGE!!!!

Drivetrain/Powersource: Dependant on regulations. 1st choice will be Zenoah 23cc spark ignition if IC engines are allowed

Radio: JR FM 6 channel

.....watch this space....

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:20 am 

Valen
Experienced Roboteer

fetherweight is 13.6kg

no arenas allow IC at the moment though that may be subject to change at marryong. its probbly allowed at the big event in qld but I don't think thats going to be a regular occourence.

of course i could be wrong about IC at sidetracked (melb)?

check the wiki out for loads of bot building info http://www.robowars.org/wikka/RobowarsWikka1

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

hello thar,

welcome to the boards, if u require any help/ideas/info or simply want to seer pics of our or bots or whatever simply ask.

My msn is sir_welchalot@hotmail.com if u want to add me and we can chat and stuff bout what u got planned and just general help.

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:26 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

is this your first bot? if so consider the cost/weight of all the parts.
the average bot ( Rolling Eyes is there even an average bot in these comps) tends to run on scooter or highly modfied drill motors, this is because they are cheep enought to buy for the speed and power they produce.
while an ic engine would be cool it would have to be in something heavy to allow you to bolt other important bits and pieces on, ie armor, wheels eta.

Another problem you may run into is the gear box to drive the wheels (if thats what your useing it for) you would need something that could seperate the power out of the engine in to two or more seperate wheels that is also heavy and takes lots of space. check the POD- nexus build thread i think it has a mention of the gearbox needed

the thing you will want to stick to is electric motors at first and build up to bigger and better things.
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:42 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

sounds fun, im guessing your pretty into the rc racing scene then lol. i was having a play with a 25cc whipper snipper a while back for a weapon, just needs the centrifugal clutch and to have it modified to accept a pulley and your rocking.

whats your thoughs with an electric start? i could never really justfiy using one actually. i couldnt turn mine over with a cordless drill so i just thought youd be better off turning that motor into something bigger and using it as the spinner motor. guess it would be more power efficient.

quote:
Radio: JR FM 6 channel

lol FM + spark ignition ICE = pain somewhere along the line.

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

lol yeah as far as i can tell the IC would be used for weop but i may be wrong

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:53 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Or be the first (as far as i'm aware) in the world to make a featherweight ICE powered ram bot using hydrolic motors. Laughing Black night was the robot that proved it could be done successfully.
Yeah also, an AM or FM radio would have a hard time with all the interference generated by the engine, possibly aim for a spectrum radio? Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:20 am