Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Vertex Team Vertex

Robot Stats

Team name: Team vertex

Robot name : Vertex

Team location:(Town /State) QLD

Robot weight(Class): Heavy weight (100kgs)

Type of Robot:(eg. .spinner, wedge) Spinner ,wedge-flipper

Drive system :(eg,4 wheel belt drive- scooter motors ect) 4 wheel chain driven at 12 to 1 from Briggs and Straton motors at 24 volts

Type/size of wheels:(eg,6 inch colsons) Pheumatic 10 inch ?

Wheapon/s drive system:(eg. mag motor -belt -drum ) 25 kg vertical disc .Belt driven from 85cc chain saw motor aprox 4.5 to 1 .electric clutch and kinetic storage fly wheel built in to disc.

Speed/motor control:(eg,Ibc, Home made servo switching ect) home made rotary controlers ibc control for fail safe through truck solonoid.

Power: (battery type,i/c, compresed air ect) 24 volt 15 amp sla's with alternator regeneration .

Armour:(steel ,poly carb ect) steel frame ali armour .

Length Width Height Aprox 1200mm x 900 mm x 500 mm

Type of radio controler: 29 mgs fm for drive other for clutch and ibc and solonoides .

Radio frequancy:( eg,29.775mgz)

General coments :(eg ,very fast , good control,) Basicly untested but should be fast .This is our first robot we built over 5 years ago.

Unuasual charatistics:(eg,Gyro dances dureing fast turns) noisy Very Happy

No, of Fights: none

Wins : none

Losses:

Link to picture in photo albulm:

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:21 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I have put vertex back together and after discusions with Bret will be hopefully allowed to demo it in the arena ,,if we can get it through the door Laughing .Mabe even A spin up with the I/c motor to the disc with oit wheapons teeh fitted and the drives disconected .I might make up some plastic teeth and paint them for reality .

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:24 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I just put a splash of fuel in the I/c motor and a couple of quick pulls and it roared to life a bit unexpected after sitting dormant for nearly 3 years lol I thought i would have to flush the carby and fuel lines and clean the plug and exaust ports. Shocked

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:15 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I posted this in the I/c thread but thought it might be more revelant in here Very Happy

Well vertex finaly got to spin up again after about 3 years sitting dormant .Pitty it was too dangerous to give the drives a proper run .That big foyer apron looked inviteing but the safety officer just didnt have enough time or resources to cordon it off safely and the earlier pack up time of 6.pm instead of 8.pm meant that we didnt have time to run it in the pit area as Simon was going to allow me to give it a drive in behind the barriers once the show was closed and the public had disapated.Mabee Aaron and i can give it a full spin up and drive in the middle of my padoc one of these days and get it on video .
What did every one think of the pre electroninc age mechanical pwm speed controlers ?

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:29 am 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

those speed controllers rule!!! I love the old ways of doing things

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:55 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I liked it when they sparked more Laughing

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:06 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Yes i was suprised , i thought that doubling the voltage would also double the arcing but i guese that the current the motors need is a lot less at 24 volts, i havent tried loading them hard at 24 volts yet .
I was going to do the stick a bit of timber against the wheel trick, and get some smoke hapeing off a tire, like when we used to do the stall tests with the amp meter. But I couldnt find a bit of timber at the event that would fit in the wheel cut outs safely with out getting jambed .

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:57 pm