www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Standard Match Rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

After reading the RFL rules wanted to say I completely support everything in it.

Should firstly say this is only my interpretation of what I have read.

I think people should read the rules a few times as they don’t mention Holds but rather they mention Pins and lifts in the same paragraph with the same time limit.
What they do mention is the term Held Pinned (Rule 2.8.3.1).

Only reason I mention this is by definition Skeletor is a robot that Holds you Pinned so why bother trying to separate a Pin from a Hold, Its just adding unnessasry complication and its basially the same Rule Number with the same time limits.

If Skeletor, Scoopy, Pinscher or Sproing (or anyone else actually) held you or pinned you, then by the rules they have 15 seconds to do their thing then a ten second count down begins for them to back off.
They could still do their thing for another 5 or so seconds if they like but if they are still doing damage (or whatever) past the 25 second mark then by the new rules they lose for not showing fair play. I actually support that. Bad sportsmanship should be penalised as the opposite of that is bad behaviour wins fights. Just my opinion.

When robots are seperated they have to back right away so people can regroup and have time to try new strategies if they like.
All this is going to do is improve the fighting and the skill levels for everyone.

The new rules to me simply seem a lot like boxing. Its going to make fighting and tactics more a part of it and also make the fights last longer and be more entertaining. Like boxing it sounds like a ref would be very handy to keep the action going. The ref doesn’t score just keep the fight flowing so its not too boring by robots not being allowed to move.

When boxers get pinned on the ropes the ref will separate them eventually and space them apart as it gets boring and skill levels go down hill if he doesnt. People like to watch a good fight and fighters need room to do their thing.

This sport is only getting faster so if 20 odd seconds is not enough time to safely do your thing then maybe up your voltage or change your gear ratio or just practise, but don’t forget that you have enough time to attack again and again, there are 3 minutes for you so don’t despair if u cant win in 30 seconds.

The RFL rules might not even be applied locally but the general idea of encouraging a fair and entertaining fight is good. You can still have lots of damage in there as well as encouraging more tactics.
Anyways that’s just my opinion.

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:23 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

A ref seperates the fighters and keeps the fight going. That is a good thing.
But to me, especially in a oil-sport (blood sport for machinery), every measure should be taken to remove judges.

Judges s-ck, let the fights decide.

This set of rules should be tacked onto the construction rules.

Smile Just my 2 cents worth....

Post Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:54 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

One of there ideas; 2.8.8 is significantly different from our way of doing things and would be a big incentive to cluster bot builders. Any thoughts?

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:21 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I think rule 2.8.8.8 is a good rule. Gives people a reason to build a cluster bot and keeps them on a fair playing field IMHO.

I'm not too happy with the rule 2.2/2.3 Double Elimination. I disagree with allowing the winner of the losers tree straight into the finals against the winners tree finalist. You might as well run two trees (East & West) and have the finalists of each tree fight for 1st.

At HOC, we run a double elimination setup, but it's slightly different. The winner of our losers tree is allowed back over into the semis of the winners, not directly into the grand finals. This means the losers tree winner will have had to win at least 1-2 battles in the loosers side to get back to the winners side to face robots that have only had 1 battle.

IIRC, this also happened at the Marayong 2004 Tag Team. Nick and Myself (Basilisk & Annihilation) lost there first match, went into the losers tree, won 2-3 matches, came back to th winners tree into the semi finals and we were defeated by El Bravo & Sorry.

Any other peoples thoughts on the Double Elimination format?

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:58 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Rule no 2.8.8. states that now a multibot has to be completly disabled to be counted out, so that means one section could be immobile and the other keep fighting... what if one was just a.. say... rolling chassis? Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:32 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

2.8.8. Special Considerations for Multi-Bots Robots consisting of physically separate, independently controllable segments are referred to as multi-bots. As long as at least one of a multi-bot’s segments is still able to show movement when requested to do so, that combatant is still considered “alive”. To score a knock-out against a multi-bot, [all] of the multi-bot’s segments must be incapacitated or eliminated.

How would a rolling chasis show movement?

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:44 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

The other robot in the multibot pushs it? Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:53 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

What dummy wrote that rule ? Rolling Eyes

I mean I'd like to see more multi-bots too, but "show movement", "incapacitated", "eliminated" ??

So if my otherwise "incapacitated" robot can still twitch a servo (movement), it is still "alive" unless the opponent manages to "Eliminate" it ??

eliminate: (To completely destroy (something) so that it no longer exists.)

I think I'll just have a robot drop a bunch of super-balls and that will count as a moving multibot that will be impossible to eliminate.

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

may i suggest re-writing that rule to say a cluster bot must be at least two mobile independant robots hehe

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Did we decide anything regarding the match rules?

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:58 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

So it was 30 seconds then 15 and a 10 count and now it’s 10 seconds and a un quantified do it now or else.

SPARC Match Rules v1.0

“Pinning/Lifting:
Any robot pinning or lifting their opponent may only continue to pin or lift them for 10
seconds at a time. After 10 seconds has elapsed the robot in control must release the
opposing robot. If the robot in control is not able to release the opposing robot then the
match will be halted and the robots will be separated.
“Release” is defined as complete physical separation such that both robots are able
to freely move away from their current location.
Refusal to comply with the referees request to release the opponent when the robots
are not stuck together will result in forfeit of the match.”

Just wont to clarify that the referee is going to do the timing?

Is the 10 seconds an audible count?

Just controlling the bots hard enough for me without being responsible for accurate time keeping.

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:44 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The ref is meant to do the timing - if they forget, you get a free pass until the bots separate naturally or someone remembers to count Smile.

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:51 pm