RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Electric vehicle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Come to think of it, is there any rule that says you CAN'T use the principle of a butane nail gun to drive a weapon?

This is pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do soon.
The issue is that it's really a form of ICE, which is presently against the rules?

The main problem I see with these sort of things from a safety point of view is that there's a pressurised tank of flammable gas, which could be punctured and ignited in a battle.

My plan was to run it from one of the small "soda bulb" sized butane canisters, as they only contain about a cubic foot of butane. Even puncturing one next to a flame doesn't create more than a small flash of flame.
I think a butane refill can or similar would be a bit large though since it could potentially burn for long enough to set other things alight.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Have a look at the refills for Paslode and similar nail guns. they are part-way between the size of a soda bulb and a refill tank and are designed for a secure coupling and workplace abuse.

To make a project like this work quickly, using at least some of an original nail gun makes sense, like the gas tank, regulator, valve, igniter, etc.

I would be worried about the possibly higher pressures developed from driving an assembly with way more inertia. Beefing up the cyclinder, piston and seals makes sense, as does a pressure release valve for when the lifter gets stuck. You might also need a silencer on the exhaust port...

Having a lifter or flipper that has a few hundred shots between refills would be way cool - best of luck with the project.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:58 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

the question is, if I built it, would I be allowed to run it? Smile

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

that depends on who you are asking and where.. Laughing

I doubt Internal Combustion will be allowed at the RoboWars event just yet. I asked about it prior to the last event and got turned down flat by the engineer. Also adds a lot of staff costs with fire marshalls and things required.

I'd like to try and get it in the future, but not until I've shown that Robot Events are financially viable. Then we can look at pushing the envelope a bit.

As for private events in peoples houses (like Jeff and Andrew), thats up to them.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The lexan-roofed swimming pool idea is one we thought about a while back and quite liked initially, until we realised that very few in-ground swimming pools have any sort of flat-floor, which would cause a lot of bot-hangups.

You would have to make a floor that sat in it as well for it to work I think.

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

MM wont be any i/c powerd bots running here in the near future either i'm afraid ..

Except our own heavy weight which usualy gets run on the road or will be run in the middle of a 5 acre padoc for wheapons testing when it gets a reliable drive controler fitted..

Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:32 pm 
DavidM

Sorry its taken so long with getting some photos to you. I have lots of old stuff gathering dust, along with the scoot. I was wrong about the battery its not 7.5 Ah its 17.5 Ah, as Spockie remarked you can't get far on 7.5 Ah.

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=191

http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=192

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:02 pm 
andrew

what were the faults with that scooter etc etc. ALso what was teh top speed, did motors get hot. How did it feel to ride.

Thanks david.

Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:09 pm 
DavidM

Top speed, never measured it, but about jogging pace, faster than walking but you could sprint faster. Riding it, the speed was comfortable, of course if it was faster that would be an advantage. I used to ride it through the office, a top speed it was an accident waiting to happen.

How did it feel, on the good side the speed control with the friction drive was good, even in the rain (a bit of slippage). The steering could have been better, using a scotch T-hinge achieved a quick and inexpensive build, but most people found it a bit difficult until the scooter was going - mind you once you have used it a couple of times your balance improves and starts are not a problem.

One thing the picture doesn't really show is with the removal of a bolt at the steering hinge the handle bars fold down/back - this is essential for stowing it and moving it around in say the boot of a car. A complete accident in design but a goodie.

Issues with the scooter:

It used hard wheels that are cross sectionally flattened. I could 'round' the cross section off on a lathe but never got around to it. It was like having car tires on a motorcycle. Bad for leaning into corners.

Inflatable tires were available but not for the diameter I used which was determined for the friction drive ratio, so larger diameter tires would have limited the speed unless the drive wheel was increased, at the time my goal was two weekends for the build, so hard tires with bearings it was.

No suspension, a little hard, especially where I lived at the time, the tram tracks! ______/\_______/\______ if you know what I mean.

Battery/range etc.. The 17.5 Ah I didn't actually own (why it doesn't have one today), so I made sure I didn't discharge them too far. A conservative guess a couple of kilometers flat, better with boost/coast driving. Never went further than about a kilometer myself.

Brakes, it didn't have any, Spockie mentioned regen braking which is a good idea, because of the friction drive nature you could vary the braking by pressure on the pedal. But a bike brake or similar is really needed to stop in a hurry, regen will only slow you down.

Wiring keep it short - the battery to motor wiring was only 20 cm or so, I used a relay to switch the power, and really heavy cable (with a 17.5 Ah battery the Vdrop on the wiring can be quite large and limits the max speed). I used a button on the handle bars to switch the motor on and off, alternatively a microswitch on the pedal would have been a better idea, just switching the motor on before the friction drive wheel comes in contact with the rear wheel.

The motor got warm but not excessively hot.

Regardless it was fun to scoot around on, having the lights and blinkers were useful in the area where I lived and gave it a bit of character.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:10 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats a pretty nice looking scooter there David.. I remember seeing a 3-speed dragster (yes one of those ones with a center stick-shift) with wires and battery holders and a starter motor lying around at gary's house somewhere too..

but I think this guy http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lincolnshire/3611660.stm wins the prize for the coolest "scooter" I've seen so far.. Laughing

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:43 pm