www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Rotwang ~ UltiBot’s ~ Vic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Rotwang ~ UltiBot’s ~ Vic

We tested our first functional purpose built Ultibot on Sunday on the actual area that will be used for the first Ultibot comp that is a couple of months off at this time.
We haven’t come up with a name for it yet as it is really just a running prototype that needs a lot of work before I would be happy enough with it to try to think up some way cool name for it.
It sort of worked, the terrain is a lot easier than I had anticipated, anyone thinking of entering an Ultibot need not get too worried when it comes to off road performance, the fighting area is gently undulating well packed granitic sand with a few ruts and bushes that can be easily avoided.
This worked against us a bit as Rob got so much speed up that he broke 2 wheels hitting a rut at full speed and getting the bot airborne.
The drum bot is fast enough to chase moded electric T max type trucks that some people are talking about using but those aluminium Oatley scooter wheels we are using are a real liability.
One thing that I really didn’t like with the drum bot is the chain drive but it gave no trouble, no chain stretch, and no de rail, worked perfectly apart from not quite enough reduction.
Would gladly swap some top speed for a little more torque to skid steer easier on the spot. Guess I am just allergic to 4 wheel bots, it does have good straight-line stability and that is a good thing for chasing or running away.
So apart from not too fast over the bumps and careful when it comes to trying to spin on the spot its going to have to be good enough for the first event, there is too much to do on other bots to modify this one. Smile

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:16 pm 
andrew

we need pictures mannnnn

im dieing to see some more of your wacky and cool creations and im also keen to see how u did the drive train setup as i have plans for some 300 watt setup for either a minikart or some form of lightweight/just something for fun

but yeah go and tackle rob and make him get some pictures online Very Happy

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:20 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Heres our uiltibot equiped with a real working canon, pitty we couldent keep it Smile

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1279

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:17 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

How did you stop your wheel sprockets from spinning backwards?

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:21 pm 
andrew

that looks awesome guys, nice work

man if i ever get round to getting rs80d fixed il have to get that 4 wheel drive lightweight going or something

i am also interested into knowing how u stopped wheel ratcheting backwards and all

my plan was driling holes in sprocket and dropping some bolts/spacers through sprocket and ocking into them bits in the actual wheel to lock it up and shiz

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:31 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

looks awesome, how does it perform off the pair of 100w motors?

looks like some steel adaptor bolted on to the sprockets and wheel, you can see it on the front wheel closest to the camera.. or is that normal on those wheels?

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rob Team Rotwang

Put the hose clamp on far enough put 3 self tappers in and tack weld the clutch and weld the clutch to the hose clamp. Smile
The spokes are very week, I dont recomend trying to atach it to the spokes, I broke 2 weels at the builders meet Mad
The 100w motors strugle with the load doing dry turns..well it dosent do them at all only smokes. Plans to bump it up to 200w scooters before too long.

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:48 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

nice mags man ;->

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Threshold moment, just got Bulldoze driving around the kitchen on 36volts with a pair of Brett’s Robowars MMC’s the 200amp controllers.
They worked perfectly. A big thank you Brett. Lots of work left to do to set Bulldoze up as an Ultibots but I am very Very Happy to have him mobile after all the time he has been cluttering the place up.

He will be useful for various demos promos etc. Now if I can work out something to do with Lawnmower.

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:08 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Eeek.. 36v. That makes me nervous. Shocked

OSMC style designs are rated for 36v and I did do some bench testing with the prototypes at 36v without problems, but its outside the experience envelope.. At least those big motors sound like they will be fairly easy on the electronics.

Nice to hear its moving. I dont think its moved since RoboWars 1 has it ?

Hmm, Lawnmower, those yucky series wound motors. Confused Has anyone heard of anyone else in the world getting series-wound motors to work with ESC's ?

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Has anyone heard of anyone else in the world getting series-wound motors to work with ESC's ?

Yes, talk to Andrew A...

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:43 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Didn’t I tell you, I started replacing the series motors with some of those rear earth geared scooter motors? Sad

Bulldoze needs 36volt; the wheel chair combo is tooo slow on 24volt.

I am playing safe and using SLA’s though so it avoids those nasty float charge voltages.

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:46 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Bulldoze was fun to chase around with T2M back in 2003 Cool Was even funnier when you actually caught me and drove over T2M Laughing

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:48 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yes that was running of an IBC, I wasn’t game to put more than 24volts through the IBC.
I did enjoy the way he climbed up the curb etc; he won’t have any trouble with the terrain in Ultibots. Cool

Oh one other thing I did take the precaution of putting a very light fuse in the circuit with the 36volt combo and I tested everything very carefully on 24 before going 36. Smile

With Lawnmower
We did get it running on the series motors, The problems were when we PWMed the armature the field coils didn’t wont to turn off even with lots of diodes etc to give the transience somewhere to go. The motors were on the heavy side They were too slow and they chewed through the juice at a grate rate. I was pushing the voltage fairly high to get more speed to which probably didn’t help. After hurting some parts and venting some smoke we gave up. The irony is that the scooter motors that I thought would work so well are causing just as much trouble.

Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:59 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

How much was it for a set of those Brett hand made MMC's ?

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:57 am