www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Aurora - Team Aurora - NSW

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Aurora - Team Aurora - NSW

had a productive day on the little feller today.

just shifted a few of the components around but mainly i got a drive in the thing and got it moving around Smile

a lego bionicle set if flogged for $50 a while back yeilded two sets of great little drives. basically a little case with two fa-130 motors and a pretty nifty 5 stage gear reduction on each side with an infra red control board in the middle.

so now aurora is moving around courtesy of a pair or rubber tracks (wheres my weight bonus Very Happy) on the back and an IR control system. it goes pretty fast foward and back and has a good push on it but it does turn full stop. given that the tracks arent to far apart and are all the way at the back of the thing it isnt surprising. so im going to have a go at making four legs for it so it can turn and look a little cooler Smile

its quickly turning into a hell of a complex robot now... 3 different sets of batteries, 1x 2.3ah SLA for the weapon, 3x AA NIMHs for the drive and 4x AA Nimhs for the radio. the control system is an inbuilt IR system for the drive and a single AM radio activating the weapon which now has foward reverse and braking (breaking too lol) as well as a capacitor in it for no reason (i thought it would help spin up, it doesnt really). soon ill be making a 24v drill nicad pack for the weapon for added kinetic goodness.

this without doubt is australia's most useless and crappy robot. but it is damn fun Laughing

Post Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

got a temporary castor under aurora and it now turns, very slowly but it turns none the less.

im getting a tamiya tank tread kit soon so that will span the whole length of the bot hence making it turn. with any luck i can hack the lego drives into the tank kit to make it work, otherwise itll use some other form of drives.

hopefully ill get a little SOW cage made up for it and have myself a little SOW knockoff Smile

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

no SOW knockoff, instead an OUCH! knockoff!

the drive is now 2x cybot drives, havent blown them up yet but doesnt look like i will, they are really robust.

running of 2x parallel 3.6v nicad packs and havent run it out in like a week of driving.

weapon is now a 450g shell. still got to drill the shaft

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:15 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

3.6v cybot drives rule! could go to 6v but dont want to risk it.

going to attempt to drill the shaft today. hopefully itll happen

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:15 pm 
andrew

Well my friend i hope u get a semi good weopon going because u will need it. I ditched the big weopon and weak and fragile drive motors and plan on getting scraps drills and wheels/mounts etc in there so u will have to make something happen or get slammed around the arena.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:28 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well my friend prepare to cop a 18,000rpm blade at 24v in the face Very Happy

just chucked a red wheel at it and didnt flop off, just propelled it into my gargage door.

now that cobras done ill work on this all week.

cant wait to make another version now, alot more weight efficient it shall be.

Post Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:35 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

now has a one piece brass hub holding the bar on, the bar is bolted onto the hub itself and the hub is physically bolted THROUGH the shaft this time instead of just having a grub screw.

the bar can also lift and tilt a couple of mm so it will flex over the opponent and dissapate energy in order to not flip over. also with about 2.8kg under it, i doubt it will turn turtle.

Post Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well aurora is dead once more.

at the event we gave it a little bit of weapon testing. got up a good speed and we bowled an old disco ball at it, and it did a fairly good job of ripping that up.

less impressive however was the attempt at destroying singularity when he backed into us for a bit of friendly testing, snapped the whole blade off at the shaft which is 5mm steel. SWEET.

at least everyone has now seen the aurora effect in action Laughing

ill put another 2 pairs of cybot drives in the thing some time and make myself a mini version of wrath for s**ts and giggles.

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:17 pm