www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

ROADKILL Team Dyrodium NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Well, here's an update.
Roadkill has been given a run over, had about 3 hours worth of solid driving practice and various problems fixed. Last event people may have noticed a total lack of pushing power from roadkill... I found out it was not a problem from the drills but in fact due to my lack of angle grinder, I was not able to make the chuck wheels, so the wheels were secured with washers as per usual. It seems the washers were pushing hard enough to give the robot mobility, but slipped when it was up against a certain torque requirement... XD built in *slipper clutch* Laughing . Although it would mean I'd never loose a drill to dead gearboxes, it's not particularly usefull for fights! I've filled the lot with epoxy to hopefully stop it slipping and as soon as possible will be making some drill chuck wheels.

The problem with the robot rearing up has also been fixed with a combination of carefull driving and slow, controled accelleration as well as a bolt under the rear wedge that prevents the wedge rising more than about 1cm off the ground... Excellent... Razz

Apart from that i've made the internals more shock mounted, and otherwise am ready to verse every spinner out there next event... Twisted Evil

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:32 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ok with everything set roadkill tops out at exactly 9kg... not bad Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:44 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Well, after a savage owning of roadkill by jolt last event, it's finaly almost fixed. The smashed drive motor is replaced, and so is the buckled side panel. It also has a funky new, hopefully shock resistant switch. Smile
Regarding the top. I still need to get one cut out.. not really looking foward to it though, cutting steel with a jigsaw is a pain. Sad
Has countersink wedge screws now though, and it seems a large cheapo drill bit works better on Ti than a proper tool steel countersink! Shocked
If jolt is an undercutter version this event I'm looking foward to see some sweet air time... roadkill's wedge is pretty much designed for low spinners... Lets see what happens when the impacts hit the Ti instead of the ali this time! Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:41 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

thaught you were allowed a grinder now?
perhaps talk the parents into getting a cutoff type bandsaw, you can put them vertically and use them as a bandsaw.
$250-300 though...

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

No such luck, they're CONVINCED i'll kill my self if they let me have one... even after yesterday when a builder who was doing some work on the house said a 4inch grinder would be quite safe... Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:14 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Woops, the undercutter is running behind time - still one last shot at Roadkill's top before Jolt changes Razz It's a shame about not getting an angle grinder - is it just because it's hand held? you might find some use in a cheap metal cut-off saw, which is basically a big grinder mounted on a hinge. Because it is bench mounted, it can't get awsy from you. as long as you don't want to cut anything more than twice as wide as the saw cut-off capacity, its cheap & affective.

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:22 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

They would worry even more about something like that. Sad
hah damn, wanted to verse the undercutter... ahh well! Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:24 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's a real problem - drop saws are pretty safe - I would rate them as just slightly more dangerous than a jig saw and much safer from just the elecrocution point of view. Is it the showers of sparks? A full face shield is cheap and fully effective.

The undercutter will most definitely be at the next event - I want to take it toa few test days before robowars too...

Post Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:35 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hmm turns out the builder DID talk some sense into my mum, funny thing is it was what i was trying to say for AGES!?
She doesn't mind if I get a 4inch grinder, now knowing they're way safer than the huge 9inch ones IF I get some help in how to use it. She said she'll probably get this friend/builder back some time to spend an hour or so showing me, even though I really actualy know... Laughing Ah parents... !?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:25 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Just make sure you wear the safety gear, glasses and ear-muffs, and leave the safety shield on the grinder. I have seen what happens when a grinder with no shield kicks back and eats the operator's arm.

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:08 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Sad Not a good look. The shield will most definately be left ON. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:24 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

EVENT REPORT

Ahh... interesting day, roadkill's pretty much gonna be parted out now and used for snak masheen, but here's how its fights went.
We decided on a round robin with Cobra, Jolt, Roadkill and Plan G, and it was completed, with roadkill 4th ( Crying or Very sad ) and jolt 1st! Cobra and plan G are inbetween somewhere... so it went like this for roadkills last stand...

Roadkill VS Cobra: Glens new huge pushing spikes REALLY made the difference for him this match, and while we both did our fair share of full box rams, glens were decidedly more potent with a few managing to bend down the thick bolts out the back of the bot designed to hold the hinged wedge in place! Shocked Cobra won on vote.

Roadkill VS Jolt: Ahh i hate versing jolt, but this time was pretty funny. At the last minute Jake suggested I attach some steel plate to the front of roadkill for ablative armour... so three plates later (roadkill is quite underweight) and a lot of gaffa, I fought jolt. It went something like this.
Hit one, one plate flies off. Hit two, another flies off. Hit three, last one if torn off. Hit four, jolt whacks into roadkill whilst it was pressed right near the front wall, with the G force so high that a battery wire cracked clean off, dead. Laughing All of this in under 30seconds! Jolt wins!

Roadkill VS Plan G: This match went on for almost 10minutes due to about 20seconds in Plan G having loose connections (forgot to tighten them) and they had to be repaired. Basicaly a lot of pushing around, with the drum not really catching on much. Did get roadkill about 5cm off the ground at one point though. Roadkill wins! (w00t)

MELAY: Ahhh... Shocked Shocked Shocked Psycho.
El B, which jeff had just got working was also entered. Jolt, Plan G, Roadkill and El B... Destruction!

Very quickly Plan G had problems and died, leaving it up to me to take on jolt and el B. Well... I did take on jolt, which tore off the antenna, leaving me with little to none reception. Jolt got into el b's front a few times, causing shrapnel to ricochet around the arena. Then el bravo managed to flip roadkill and it was stuck in a corner... I soon realised that jolt was closing in at full speed, and yelled out that I tap... too late! Shocked The whole front wedge (they don't work too good upsidedown) was totaly torn off in mid flight (the whole bot was thrown into the wall above the arena wall!) and came crashing down... OUCH!?

Post melay, roadkill wouldn't start. Due to the microswitch being totaly annialated, all the was left was the little tabs which had to be held together to turn the bot on!

No responce by the drives, yet the ibc was obviously turning on due to the small spark... Jake closed in with his multimeter and skillfully weilded it, and soon discovered there wasn't any voltage coming out of the ibc's BEC... not good!

So we then proceeded to open up the ibc case... and were shocked to realise there was stuff shaking around inside it... This is what happened in that hit:

A whole 18 pin chip was totaly torn off out of its holder and was loose in the case.
A jumper lead was also removed (for the BEC we think)
The nut for the voltage regulators was off...

After we fixed this, and worked out where the jumper came from, it worked fine, even though the reciever had no antenna...

Laughing That's gotta be a record for something!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:46 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Um, yeah, sorry about that Embarassed! Hope the ali sheet makes up for it.

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:06 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Haha yeah sorta, still need more though... small quantities are always the hardest to find! Shocked
Heh Nick, as long as you can help out getting this new robot going, I don't really mind. Wink

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:07 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Good news! Just measured up my left over sheet and the sheet you gave me Nick, I only need one more 360x150mm sheet and some scraps to do the little triangles! Very Happy I shall check out ebay... failing that, I might be able to con welch out of some lol. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:50 pm