www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Connectors

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Connectors

Ok, this issue has been confusing and annoying me for some time.
We all have to connect our batteries to our bots, and then disconnect them. But the question is, what is the *best* way to do it?
I'm tired of crappy terminal blocks because they fail too easily, but all other ideas i've had keep getting pointed out as not good enough...
So what works the best? If money is NO object...
Deans, Anderson Power Poles, T Connectors, Gold Plated Bullet Connectors...Etc
Confused Rolling Eyes

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:02 pm 
assassin

Well I don't know whats best but I use deans and there much cheaper if purchased from ebay in larger quantities(10 - 20 pairs).

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:06 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah that's what I was leaning towards. I think Jeff F uses them in singularity so they're pretty much battle proven.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:07 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
I think Jeff F uses them in singularity so they're pretty much battle proven.

i wouldnt say that at all. i dont think i can count how many times the intermittent connection in them has caused all the version of singularity to stop lol. i just dont like how they dont have the locking tab so they could convievably disconnect just like the power poles.

i use the T connectors because they are cheap and bullet proof. the worst that ive had happen is the casing melted apart during various electrical shorts in the robot but i guess thatll happen with any plastic connectors. the locking tab is a bonus.

or best yet do what jake a nick do and use bolt down ring terminals. i guess thats the ultimate solution (just takes longer to use)

ive never really looked but if you could find a t connector with a plastic that has a massively high melting temperature with gold connectors inside i guess would be the best for me.

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

The trick there would be the zippy tie around the connector. I think Jeff told me @ Brisbane they get a little looser with use and a zippy tie fixes all. I've had no probs yet but its early days and a tie maybe needed in the future..

I don't see how you would get an intermittent connection?

Actually I would be interested in Jeff experience with the Deans connectors, for battle machines(robots, whatever Laughing ). Jeff?

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:36 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

The Deans connectors have been pretty good, I dont believe they've ever been the cause of screw ups in Singularity, thats been either the batteries or the faulty terminal block on the RS80D, or more recently a squashed Spektrum reciever. In a really old version I used Andersons which gave me hell, thats when I switched over and havent looked back.

Even on the oldest ones I have there still a pretty tight fit, but as a precaution I usually put a layer or two of insluation tape over them before each fight (when I remember that is). One thing that can get a bit annoying is soldering on wires larger than 10 gauge, theres only a small gap between the terminals, which makes things difficult, but not impossible.

The cable ties I was using in Brisbane were on the Dewalt brush holders, as they love to pop out during an impact (with the walls or otherewise lol).

ffej.net

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
assassin

Arrh my memory is bad, it was insulation tape not zippy ties. Good to here no probs with thou. A bit more info on the zippy ties on the dewalts would be handy for me, cheers.

Also I used 12 gauge wire with the Deans, one wire was soldered on the outside of the terminal to create more space. But you could still go the inside and I probably will next time.

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:48 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yes Deans are cool, never had a problem with them in probably 4 years of battles. Started using them even b4 that when building T34 because of their small size.
Always have used them with noodle wire as well.

One other thing to consider about them is they can be re used many many times, have resoldered mine at least 6 times.
If I did that with spade connectors thay would stuff up so in the end they might actually save you some money because they last.

They may not have a locking latch but thay have springs to hold them in and frankly if you are putting that much force on your connectors then the problem is somewhere else.

Its actually an advantage that if u pull hard enough they will come out clean.
If you pull hard on the spade terminals you might just dislodge a wire creating a short

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:39 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Ring terminals all the way.
even if the nut comes off (not gonna happen) you still have connection.
a Star washer might be an idea though.

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

You can get good ring connectors at jaycar and dicksmith can't you? Smile For the time being I might just use them...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:02 pm 
andrew

i use them also, they work nicely, all u need to do is ring terminals and make up something that both terminals can be bolted down to (i use them for battery connections) and as long as u have it so battery wires go to different locations and r different lenghs so u cant accidentally mix em up then its full proof

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:53 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

pk10 ring terminals at jaycar is like $3 or so.
we use the yellow ones. They fit the wire from jaycar nicley.

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
wilko

i have a friend who is a mobile auto electrician and he buys crimp terminals in large packets i thin its about $50 for about 200 (works out to be 25c each) but he buys them direct.

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:58 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I ended up using deans at robowars. No problems what so ever, and I think both Trent and Jeff could also stand by that, especialy with Eleanor moving up to second place. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:58 am