www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Victorian State Titles 2007

Author    Thread
Sidetracked

Victorian State Titles 2007

Hi all. Thought it was time for Sidetracked to make an appearance and get going to make Victoria the REAL home of Robowars in Australia. As manager of Sidetracked, I have an interest and wish to expand Robowars to its fullest potential. So - it is my intention to hold Victorian events at LEAST 3 times a year during school holidays, with the National titles at years end - 4 guaranteed events in the spotlight. We plan to take a page from wrestling and hype it up - making 'warriors' of the bot builders. I need to ask a few questions to ensure that it doesnt just suit us - but also suits you, our valued competitors.
1. What day do you prefer - a Saturday or Sunday, or perhaps even a Monday - can you all take some time off to indulge in your fav sport??
2. We hope to have a sponsor (hopefully Coca-Cola) for our next event, and it will be held in our Grand Prix room where we can charge for spectators. Would a possible $1000.00 first prize, and a $50.00 entry fee be feasable?
3. The Pits will be in our All Sports room which is near our Laserforce centre. You will need to carry your robots from there when cued - and parade through the spectators to the Robodome like a warrior - any problems with that?

Please make any comments you have - or questions. I will be on regularly to answer and reply to your posts here.

Lets make Robowars the ultimate extreme sport in Victoria.

Cheers - Mark Naumann

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:10 pm 
Fish_in_a_Barrel

I had a thought, where thr robots could be wheeled from the pits to the arena in a box, so that any possible activation would be safely contained.

If you want to make it dramatic, you could weld up a gaol cell on wheels.

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:18 pm 
Sidetracked

Hmmm - good thought on the jail cell - would be impressive.
Also - am hoping to get a plasma for the event to screen footage in downtime.

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:30 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Personaly, $50 is asking a bit much from builders, especialy during national comps where builders are already spending a lot of money to fly up and for accomodation. Would the possible sponser be able to add into the prize money instead of raising the entry cost?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:31 pm 
Sidetracked

Nothing is set in concrete yet. I take your point on the $50.00. but given that we will need a 2nd prize as well at least - we will need money from competitors. The money from Coca-Cola is actually Sidetracked's money that Coke gives us for promotional purposes based on our purchaes from them. I also know the manager of J Car in Springvale so I intend to bite him as well.

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:43 pm 
assassin

Fly down to Melboure for a weekend, put up with the shitty weather for just two days, win a $1000 bucks and then fly back to the Sunshinecoast and start spending the money on improvements/next bot and then 'Repeat'......Sundays thanks Laughing

Seriously thou I agree with Angus. The costs just add up, I just want to have fun.

You know what would get maybe more people entering and happy content builders, no prize money and $50 to each builder!!!

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:44 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
You know what would get maybe more people entering and happy content builders, no prize money and $50 to each builder!!!

Hear hear!!

Not every builder can be a winner, but every builder still puts in a lot of effort, getting some constellation money would be blessing I reckon, even if it just covered the drinks and food for the night.

But I would also like to see our EO's get a little bit into their pockets too, without them, we don't exist.

Wink

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:00 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It says "State titles" - are interstaters invited? I'm keen to have another crack at the best in the country (and Aaron Razz Laughing)

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:06 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

perhaps some kind of "catering" ?
just some sandwiches or something that isn't deep fried would be nice.
(its ok as a treat but as 2-3 meals for 2 days isn't fun ;->)

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sidetracked

My plan in Victoria is this -
1 time each year (probably early January) will be National Titles.
1 time per year will be Victorian Open titles - which means anyone can compete.
2 times a year and based on aggregate over bothe events will be Victorian residents only titles. During these events if we have interstate visitors wishing to test etc. we could work out a 2nd tier comp based on those knocked out of the comp perhaps.

Catering can be a problem. If a few of you want to have sandwiches delivered etc - I am sure we could get together an order for say a Subway Platter or similar???

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:14 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
I am sure we could get together an order for say a Subway Platter or similar???

You sir, are god-like Laughing Robots and Subway... Can it not get any better then that???? Shocked

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:13 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing No it can't, jake had it right all along, learn from the best! Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:37 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Confused ohhh my goodness

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:48 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Very Exiting Mark. The Rotwang team is grateful that Sidetracked is supporting our sport. Very Happy

Couple of thoughts, we don’t mind which way things work out as far as entry fees and prise money.
We are in the black as far as prise money vs. entry fees. Smile

Sort of comes down to number of competitors and quality of competition.

The entry fee might put builders off and the chance of a cash prise might encourage builders to compete and try hard. $50 to enter seems very reasonable to me even without the chance of prise money.

Keeping to weekend days might be easier on some people but not absolutely necessary as far as we are concerned if it works for the venue.

The lightweight class has been run on a free entry no prise money basis deliberately and there hasn’t been a lot of interest. Sad

There are probably other reasons than lack of prise money but Novelty bots and Lightweights were there if people wonted to avoid KE spinners and entry fees and builders voted with their feet by entering Feathers.

So a couple of Questions; Brett mentioned that you were a bit concerned about the lightweights damaging the arena, just wondering if you had any thoughts as to the Lightweights future.

Also hope you have done your sums right as far as the state rounds go, Does the $1000 apply to all to the State as well as the National events? Entry numbers will be well down without the interstate entries.

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:30 pm