www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Super Featherwieght
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Some of us started building Heavy weights and if we were in the US or UK that’s probably what we would be doing still.

I remember the first time I heard of Chris from Brett he was interested in a pair of MMC’s for his heavy weight.
Anyway I can understand his wonting to go up in weight class and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that.

No one minds if those that are interested work at their ant or beetle class.

We already have tried our no KE spinner class down this way and so far it hasten really worked. Sad

I think its good that there are at least a few lightweights in this country as you never know what might happen, at the very least anyone wonting to build one for an overseas event have a couple to spar with.

I think the lightweights qualify for a proper double eliminator, there is no way I would go OS for a sudden death one strike and your back on the trailer sitch.

Maestro runs fine on a fan cooled IBC but he is only 24KG, Weasel has 300 Watt scoters on a fan cooled IBC at 20KG no problem and Ultidrum is around 26KG on 200Watt scooters and IBC no problem and that’s in soft gravel and Energize is 4 drills IBC no problem but its never been in a fight.

So I can reasonably confidently say that its possible to run bigger bots than feathers on IBC’s.
But those of you with dewalts for drives etc need tougher ESC’s just for your feathers so trying to save money by compromising the weight limit might not benefit many builders as some will insist 2 mag motors are barely enough for a lightweight and others will be happy with 100watt scooters.

Not entirely sure who would be rushing to fight a 20Kg super feather with there 13.6 feather spinner but some of the no Ke lightweights were built under the assumption that they would not be fighting spinners so they have highly vulnerable pneumatic wheels e.g. Maestro and King Pincher.

I will have to get the fight between Weasel and MiniMower up. Very Happy

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:13 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

I did express some mild support for the idea at battleshed as I believe the idea of giving newbies a way in is a good thing for growing the sport,

However I have since thought a fair bit about it (especially after reading others posts) and have concluded that it's probably not such a good idea.

-1- With an extra 5 kg's and M1's could you build a 6 wheel or 8 wheel dewalt powered ram bot? I think you could and I'm fairly sure that Sidetracked wouldn't look to kindly on something with that much pushing power. (as BH mike said) Probably to the point of banning it as it would bend their arena to much and hence you wouldn't have any Vic's building them.

-2- With the above bot you could build a very effective high energy thwack and as has already been stated a thwack is a spinner in a different form so would it be allowed?

-3- I remember what happened when we went from 12 to 13.6kg's we all had great plans for the extra 1.6kg's however we were still all drilling holes in things to get the weight down before the next battle. So I don't think there would be any difference in going to 19.6kg's

However as I said I like the idea of encouraging new people into the sport and growing it. so perhaps a modified super feather idea is the way to go.

Would it not be simpler to just allow new builders for a fixed amount of time (and with no active weapons or some such) a higher weight limit?

So for their first few battles they don't have to learn the hard way how strong things have to be as they can just over compensate for things. I don't know if this is a good idea or not but thought it better to propose something rather than just dismiss the idea outright.

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:14 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
the no Ke lightweights were built under the assumption that they would not be fighting spinners so they have highly vulnerable pneumatic wheels e.g. Maestro and King Pincher.

I think to make the lightweights a more viable place to play, it would probably be best to leave this class as a non spinner class. From a personal perspective, I'd love to have a crack at a non-spinner lightweight class, but unless a few more builders here in QLD supported it, it would limit me to competing interstate with a LW and I'm not really interested in the shipping of a 25KG bot or taking it on the plane with me...

If you want to push for a heavier weight class Chris, push for the lightweights, I'm sure you'll find more support in that Smile

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:23 am 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:38 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

ok end of topic Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:42 pm