www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Not robots but related, speed controller help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
nick_75au

Ordered 2 885 Victors with the 36" PWM cables today, even if my radio drives the Victors the length is handy. Mixing is handled by the radio.
The extra 40 amps may be handy in absorbing spikes that I cant see with my current testing setup. I couldn't find the astros you refered to Nick unless they are brushless. i may end up brushless in the future but not in this boat.
Regards
Nick

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:45 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The best Astroflight options are:

Marine range: http://www.astroflight.com/store/store-Marine.html?sid=0001SP1jIwEtdQsfXs0P9P7

Or the more powerful industrial range: http://www.astroflight.com/store/store-Industrial.html?sid=0001SP1jIwEtdQsfXs438i2

The 960 Industrial motor with the 2:1 gearbox would be in the right RPM range and would have much higher torque than the starter motors. The 940 motor is smaller than your starter motors but its cobalt magnets give it higher efficiency and probably more torque after its geared down. They are both expensive options for the future; I recommend getting the Victors working smoothly before deciding on the next step.

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:17 pm 
nick_75au

Got them, Victor 885s

I received the Victor 885s today. I'm very impressed with The Robot Marketplace although they didn't reply to my request of quoting postage first (postage was reasonable however). I've wired them up, so far so good they work the motors well unloaded except for one thing, I cant get the motors to both start at the same time, one starts (one notch on the radio) before the other. I've calibrated them according to the instructions and checked that all the mix settings in the radio are correct. Any ideas?
one more question, what size circuit breakers would you recommend, I basically only have long delay curve breakers available to me.
regards
Nick

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well we dont use circuit breakers Razz but a 40 amp polyfuse is probably as close as i can think. IIRC supercheap had them ages ago..

as for the starting at the same time i had a bit of a problem like that. just set the radio trims dead center, calibrate them ensuring you return the stick to the center and then all you can put it down to is either a mixer issue or one side of your drive has more resistance than the other.

and indeed RMP has good service, team delta more so in my experience. the one store i HATE is tower hobbies. ive never come across a more inept buisiness (multi million dollar one at that!) Mad

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nick_75au

As a side note I signed up for the USPS tracking service for the parcel guess what, the parcel arrived around 11:30 this morning and I just received an email at 7:10 pm that the parcel had arrived in Australia, when has email ever been slower than the post ? Surprised
Regards
Nick

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:34 pm 
cerberus3112

When n00bs operate the computers Laughing

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:45 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

wouldnt worry about it too much at no load. the friction forces etc are such that any minor variation will cause that. it'll go away under load (like driving), you will have more problems if your motors arent neutrally timed.

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
the one store i HATE is tower hobbies. ive never come across a more inept buisiness

Laughing I LOVE Tower, they sent me a complete SS transmitter for the price of just the receiver!

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:28 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hahah well they are thoughtful enough to send me a magazine every month its a shame they never sent my $200 worth of products XD

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger