www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Rhino, plastique, Zebra And family. team NET state victoria.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

That’s sad, nice new sanyo's.

If they haven’t vented and they haven’t shorted out as in insulation at pos end melted through they might survive, best to cycle them individually and try to match up a pack.

A few slow cycles is a good way to run in a new pack, lets the cells settle in.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:29 pm 
seanet1310

i got them second hand from angus so i gues they could have been well used. most have quite damaged insulation so i atleast wont use them in my bot again probably. Ill look into it all after robowars.
Thanks for tips/Advice Garry (sorry if i got the name rong).
i realy need to get myself some all new cells not second hand ones but unfortunatly no one seams to group buy anymore might be worth just looking into A123 instead in the future.[/list]

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Yep when you factor the shorter charge time for M1’s the weight and space issues etc I don’t think there will be any more group buys.

Its Gary with 1 r if your fussy about the spelling.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:58 pm 
seanet1310

thats what i was thinking. guess its about time to save up for a new charger.
Sorry about the rong spelling of the name. i personally dont care if anyone spells mine wrong but a lot of people i find get quite annoyed.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I've seen plenty worse than that keep running.
Put a multi meter across each cell and pull out any that are way off. IE most should be 1.1 or so more than likley, pull any that are 0.6 or below.
When you do the measurment put a load across the cell. I used a 5 ohm 5 Watt resistor, curled the leads around both multi meter probes and used the legs of the resistor to clamp on to the cell.

The super low voltage cells you can give a slow charge cycle to individually, the rest of them if they are about the same voltage you can charge as a batch.

odds are the super low voltage cells are stuffed though so you might not bother.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
seanet1310

thanks for that (not so use to battery packs which is quite ovious)

im haveing no luck today one of my moters started to have smoke come out of it. again checked the wireing all still seams fine to me. Aslong as the gearbox is ok i should be fine but only got one motor spare o well gives me a job 2morow morning before it starts. i was running at half voltage so i guess that may have been the problem o well ill see.
Gl everyone with everything

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:45 pm 
Sid

looking forwardd to seeing it (and you) at robowars

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:50 pm 
seanet1310

you 2. i hope the new frame works well

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:21 pm 
seanet1310

i was happy overall with my bot. 3 spiners and it still moves and 1 side of armor is almost intact.
No full penertrations of my armor.
badger seamed to spend most of his time upside down or onto of my bot and spent way more then 10 seconds unable to drive but o well guess he was still moving. main damage was a side paneral of PC was mostly distroyed. only 1 scratch on the uhmw PE. slight top panal damage
bender was a little more evil distoryed my replacement side panal of PE and did quite deep cuts into the uhmw. the spikes where prity much totaled. and the back PC was quite damaged and missing. top panal took more of a beating continuing off from where badger left off.

screwed a new piece on the back and entered the rumble. quite fun. angus distoryed yet more of my top panal but not much else how he missed my lights is beyond me. If his wepon was working fully he may have been able to breach my damaged side armor. My bot and angus's where the only 2 still moving when it stopped so i guess i came equal first and would be the achivement of the day.

A bit of a shame about fighting 2 of Garys in a row but great leasons learnt.

plastique will be up for grudges if anyone is interested (at my sole descresion) 1 side will not have PE armor.

just got to cover the lights so they are protected for the wacky races as at the moment if i hit a bot they might take them out.

i can atleast clame i exploded to an extent as the name segests that polycarb flew everywhere. i must have left more of my bot in the arena then most others today which counted badly for me even when it was nearly all superfical damage on 10% of my armor (10% was PC)
over all a great day and the fact i still move perfectly with just plastic armor against 3 spiners was quite suprisng to me and i lasted the hole time every round.

hopefuly i can have a better bot next time
on the youtube highlight vid
36 seconds to 1:31 then 2:57 to 3:33 for my reference

Post Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:11 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

It is quit an achievement to last the full time. Well done.

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:05 am 
seanet1310

plastique grudged Schmackhed with temp armor i had just put on. this armor made the wheels hardly touch the ground so control was bad and we where pushed around quite a lot. got a couple of good wedges on him though even with half the wedge broken. he took the end bits of both side armor out.

next i think was the rumble complete with reboot. at the end plastique was yet again still moveing at the end with a little less armor on the top and one side was slightly bent. but we where moveing far after reboot stoped. Stainless steal rat , cobra, schmackhed and bane? where in it aswell was quite a good little fight for such a damaged wedge. most bots got stuck on top of eachother for a while. we lost drive to one wheel which i think may have been due to a reboot hit but inspection after the fight revealed a deans plug came lose so cable ties from now on will be aplyed to all conections,

the wacky racers my bot got stuck under the wall about 1.5meters from the start and a motor started smoking while trying to get it out. at a simple look it apears that everything else lives so thats an easy fix.
long live the gladware lid screwed onto the front of my bot for the race.

pics will be posted when my sister (kirst on the forum) gets around to uploading them and ill post anything else if i remember.
my first bot almost all plastic took on badger. bender who was runner up in the comp. rapture in the first rumble which i think got a few hits in from memory before its weapon stoped working and reboot got a few hits in during the rumble and my bot still works with side armor still in tact. all that and i break the motor in the wacky races

edit:
random thoughts and thanks.
i was a bit sceptical of the andersons wheels but they proved there worth in my opinion traction was great.

Thanks to team nmo for all the great bits of advice over the weekend and the cable ties. it was greatly apreciated.
thanks to Gary for the tips and explinations of a few of his bots while others go-karted.
Most if not everyone else also gave me a tip or 2 and helped out whereever posible and i greatly apreciated it everyone. Ill be aiming to be at most if not all the vic comps and ATM im thinking of going up to battleshed.

added pics:
rumble 2 (day 2's rumble)http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12/kirst1310/Robots258.jpg
reboot showing everyone the corect way to reboot a computer http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12/kirst1310/Robots195.jpg
day 1's rumble i think http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12/kirst1310/Robots155.jpg
midway though battle 1. http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12/kirst1310/Robots067.jpg more 2 come of the damage and battles. And we have a few from other battles i might post

Last edited by seanet1310 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:11 am; edited 4 times in total

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:59 pm 
Kirst

Before:

During:

After:

And then some tupperware:

-More photos coming soon Very Happy

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:09 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you will note the wheels seem unscathed ;->

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
seanet1310

yep i think team nmo are looking at them now aswell. ill defently be back for more.

EDIT: the wheels where slightly scratched in 1 spot which ill blame on badger bounching on them but nothing major and hardly noticable
Turns out i may not have burnt out a motor. some PE (the blue thing you can see in the pics around the ibc box) which is only there as the rubber designed for that spot was not avalible in time for weighing smells quite bad and black. im hoping it is just that anyway as dse are annoying to get.
I was however eyeing off there $60 18v drills max 10Nm more toque, 200RPM and comes with break so im thinking it may like stop start and reversing a little more. double the cost is the main off putter and for that i might be able to find an even better one.

Redesigning: looking at some of hte highlight vids from badger and bender the main damage was done when i attacked them and they came off my wedge or just missed my wedge and hit my side armor in the angle section. It was also the main way they took out top armor aswell from there. So if i make it less of an angle or remove it so my wedge is full size of my bot it may help stop some of my damage.

Last edited by seanet1310 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:08 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Heya mate, nice work on the weekend and was great to meet you and Kirsty!
That bot held up supprisingly well against all the spinners, and always seemed to be one of the last going in the grudges and rumbles.
Regarding the pack, I had something like that happen a long time ago on a previous set of sanyos, it definatley looks like a short, an overheating cell on its own shouldn't produce enough heat to melt apart solder joints!
I've got a couple of unused and used sanyos I can send, you could get the voltage balanced and have a semi decent pack again. Won't be as great as same usage cells but I feel kinda bad the pack got destroyed. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:24 pm