www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Banshee - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing Glen's still hung over at 12, so it doesn't count! Laughing They are "officially" open until 12:30 on Saturdays

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

what a bunch of dumbasses, i called them and they said they wherent Confused and theres a 12pm on saturdays now Shocked whats that like?

found an absolutely massive lathe for $1900 at penrith though i want. but its way too big

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

They probably didn't want to be there that week - the catalog and the website both say 12:30 pm on Saturdays - I will be super pissed off if they have changed it!

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:06 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

lathes are never too big.
The biggest lathe i've seen is still "just a little small" for the 3rd job you want to do on it.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well my new wheels finally showed up Surprised mmmhmhm! shane and i have a few boxes of them so if you want any let us know!

price between $25-$45

3 wheeled omni petrol powered undercutter should provide some interest Shocked

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
assassin

I wouldn't mind a couple. I'll get in touch with you bout it.

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:32 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Well the event draws near and with 3 robots to get done i need to pull my finger out and get this one under way for the next lightweight event!

trying to finalise the motor off. so today i added 3x big transfer ports inside the cylinder, filled in the compression relief and screwed around a bit with the port timing. compression at 15:1 now so should have some nice bawls to it.

more importantly was the removing of the tiny sprocket and adding of the pulley! i lathed up a little adaptor that the pulley mounts too and that passes through the clutch bearing + the clutch drum bolts onto it. works great.

excuse the camera piccies..

also need to get a throttle rod from the hobby store so i can adjust the linkages abit easier.

next thing to do is add the electric starter in which should be here any day now. then i can do some tiny mods to my old watercooleds bike exhaust and i can put that in.

thats the problem with 99% of gas motor powered robots.. no tuned pipe... which explains why they never hit anything resembling a power band and consequently suck so hardcore Razz

Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:45 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i got the phailbot out in all its rusting glory to see if i can get it together for the next event.

attempted to mill the hole out to a square shape for a hub design i had.

bar does not fit into mill. sigh.

tried to drill it out with the step bit. the 26mm step is totally blunt..

attempted to find pulley that will fit properly.

none.. ugh..

took apart my right angle drills to see if i could use them. has big 775 johnson motors inside and an open right angle gearbox. interesting.. will definitely make use of them in this robot.

went to put bearings on the shaft to at least start mocking up some hubs. the shaft is a mm or so too big and its welded in.

this weekend sucked Mad

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:00 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

You can always bring the blade over here for some mill action. is the blade mild steel or bisalloy?

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:41 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

not much to do on the bikes and getting a bit exhausted over making steveos new "part" so ill spend some time on this. this is about 2 or 3 months of work in the making so far

i did end up getting the electric start to work which involved -

- making a new plate to adapt the old pullstarts mounting holes to the new motors bolt holes.

- lathe up a shaft to bolt to the flyhweel and run the motor on (the motor is basically just a hollow armature the shaft goes through)

- make a special flywheel with no cooling fins or starter "pawls"

worked pretty good too except the entire setup for the starting gear weighs 4kg Shocked and its still pretty anemic at 24v which is all the volts i want to run in the robot.

so ill save myself the weight and use it for the frame instead. just going to bolt a pawl to the end of a corded drill and start it using that. the old cordless just cant quite do it unfortunately.

what else to say about the motor now.. has some interesting internals anyway that should hack it up to around 7hp. including modified port timing, balanced high compression crank and bore out to 50cc (from 39)

, seeing as though smoothness and nice progressive power isnt a worry i can just tune the thing for massive top end which has been a nice relief Laughing

also borrowed a smallish fuel tank from the weed whacker i bought ages ago and run an extra fitting to it for the return from the pumper carburettor so the fuel setup is totally closed. also got a fuel tap ill run off to the robot somewhere so i can get to it easy.

had a play about with a washer pump as a mini fuel pump but the carb didnt like that at all. probably screws up the internal diaphragm or something. but so far its pretty damn reliable in all orientations shaking it and everything. took me a few weeks to work out why it wouldnt work upside down until i realised the hole the carb gets its pressure from to power the internal fuel pump was blocked off. all solved.

linked servo to the carb with a proper adjustable linkage from an RC car to take up all the slack and such. works pretty well too. everything bolts together so wont have any problems with the linkage popping off mid fight.

also put a thrust washer behind the pulley and clutch housing to stop any sideward force from smashing the clutch bell into the clutch. spins nice and smoothly even with it on there. pretty happy with how my lathing efforts turned out there Smile

tommorow ill probably go get some box section and start a frame for it. also going to put my flywheel with no fins on it and see how it goes cooling wise for 3 minutes flat out.

also have to work out a pipe for it too. have about 5 different tuned pipes here but will have to just cut and bend them up until i can get a working one thatll fit into the robot. that could be a bit tricky. but one things for sure no muffler Laughing

still not sure on the robot side of things. will def be using the 100w scooter drives and the old IBC + one of the etek bike 24v packs.

i guess the only question remains as to whether itll be horizontal or vertical... guess ill just throw things on the floor and see how it all comes together then Cool the mill and lathe should make short work of it!

so theres about 2 months of mental thought into a post. sorry if it made no sense hah.

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:44 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

whats wrong with leaving the air cooling fins on and making a cowl out of thin ali like the stuff pie trays are made from then you wont have any overheating hassles you can get those disposable baking trays for a couple of dollars in woollies - strong enough to make a cover and easy to cut and shape with scissors

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:41 am