www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Knightrous - Team Knightrous - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

seeing the way you drive I am fairly confident.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Still good enough to beat a kero Cool

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

PVC pipe = 4mm shrink wrap Sad

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:27 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

@ 1.30AM I had a microswitch jam and bent the actuator a bit and nearly smoked the motor, decided I would pass on the event and just deliver the arena (Running on 4 hours sleep and driving 500km in a day was just too much to ask from myself this weekend). One side of the drive is a bit louder then the other, going to just pull it down to make sure I didn't drop any crude in it @ midnight....

Need to fix a few things and adjust the pivot points to get the lifting arm to retract lower. Need to make a spar for the back of the lifter as the robot tips over sideways instead of selfrighting.

Videos here:

Lifter Test
Selfright Test 1
Selfright Test 2

Post Mon May 05, 2008 7:53 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Laughing Sounds like you need a hoop on the back Laughing

Post Mon May 05, 2008 8:02 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

When Scissorhands can actually drive in a manner that reflects some form of control, I'll reconsider your boring hoop designs Razz When the saw blades get added (Like in one of the photos) it should help it land in the right place to begin the selfright manuver, then it's just a case of adding some width to the end of the lifter. Similar to the 2nd version of Firestorm which has a lifting arm in a T shape.

Definately need to throw the micro switch system away, looking at replacing it with a BattleSwitch if I don't get time to knock a PICAXE or AVR switch up.

Post Mon May 05, 2008 8:19 pm 
seanet1310

I like the lifter would be interested to know how it goes.

Post Mon May 05, 2008 9:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

That lifter/self-righter would have excellent at yesterday's event. I could imagine you smashing a robot from wall to wall and then neatly stacking them upside down in a corner. Self-righting is more crowd pleasing than driving inverted IMO.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:19 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The big issue with the lifter idea was that it was all built on the outside of the robot, it really needs to be build into the bot, but due to the space internally, I haven't got the space for such a mechanism. Toying with either a mini drum undercutter similar to what Andrew made for Cheeze Wedge, or a flamethrower, both designs will fit in the small amount of space I have up in the front of the wedge.

Drives worked okay yesterday, but still need to get some billet boxes made, after looking at the kerison's old SS2 boxes, I might try to source a pair of them.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:39 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The SS2 gearboxes were basically just drill parts put in an aluminium housing - they got a bad reputation for breaking. Andrew would have to do all his best mods to them before they were reliable. The piranha gearboxes at Robot Marketplace are the same thing in a better shell.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:51 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm basically looking at just dropping the guts out of my andrew mods into the SS2 housings, and modify the adaptor plates to suit my dewalt motors. The biggest issue I have right now is splitting the drill gearboxes where the motor bolts on. Going to some solid aluminium should fix that Razz The Pirahna boxes are probably just a tad small to bolt the dewalt motors onto, which is a shame as they are pretty damn close to what I want, minus the price.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:01 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

its not like it would be too hard to make just ebay a billet of aluminium and bore the right size hole for the ring gear and bore a hole for the bearing in the front.

or you know you could just do the smart thing and use the bloody dewalt gearbox Razz

check up the new 36v versions. apprently they just use a flat D shaft.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've stripped Schmackhed head down to just the bare shell, and have now welded up all the holes I cut into the disc over the last 2 years. Also pulled all the electronics out of the electronics tray. Shifting the whyachi switch, and victors to the left more, providing enough space for the Sentilion brushless controller.

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:19 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

IonBox

Thought I'd post a bit on what I've been working on.

Been meaning to build these for a while to alleviate the issue of my dewalts separating from the standard plastic drill boxes, but have only recently started them as preparation for BattleShed. I've nicknamed these IonBox(es). Basically an AndrewMOD built into a solid aluminium housing. Upgraded needle roller bearing and upgraded shafts (not pictured). The new shafts are 0.5" chromed hydraulic shaft. A change of a motor face plate, should be able to swap in any RS550/Dewalt "New Style" motor for future bots I build.

I've learnt a lot from this first box, with roughly 10-12 hours of work having gone into it, a few things I've got to learn with my craftsmanship to try to increase accuracy but I'm happy with the results so far (Few holes out by 0.25mm - 0.5mm do make a mess at times). Definitely will never consider buying a Banebots setup, these have been seriously easy to make so far and are just made from Ebay bargain aluminium. Looking at making it all simpler for the next version of these will be a version what should only require a drill press to make (Although a lathe does save having to buy a few special drill sizes). Will follow the new idea up after BattleShed

Anyway, will post some more next weekend when I've finished this box off with the new shafts and new motor face plate.

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Finaly got off my can and bought a charger for the A123's. Razz (You can avoid the 7am wake up calls now Trent Wink ) I bought the iCharger 1010B from HobbyCity. I had read some good reviews on this charger and from a massive thread on the rcgroups forums, the manufacturer is working with the consumers, taking on board improvements and features.

Comes with all the bells and whistles, digital temp sensor, balancers, plugs and leads. The menus are extremely similar to the eStation units. Can't wait to play with this a bit more!

Also made some nice progress with the gearboxes, now have the shaft and internals installed, just need to make a new 8mm motor plate as the 5mm is too thin, and put a thrust washer and circlip on the front of the box and this one is done.

Will see what tomorrow brings!

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:32 pm