www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Haphazard Robots State: NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
Knight

I'll bear that in mind, tho like the battery packs, i've got very little money at the minute, oh well we will sort that one eventually.

BTW, yes i knew your name was Angus already, but thanks anyway Razz

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:53 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Heh ok no worries... and honestly, i'd be fine just *donating* them to your cause hehe, i've moved on from them and it'd save you a lot of hassle. Grab a cheap charger like a GWS and you'll be set. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:48 pm 
Knight

Well i just thought i'd let everyone know what is going on.

No i havn't dropped off the edge of the world, I've joined the navy, so am at the moment posted to HMAS Creswell, in jervis bay. Hence why I havn't been coming to the meets. We've only just started getting leave again.

Also the internet is a restricted connection, anything like internet mail, forums, chat programs, those sorts of things, are blocked, so i havn't been able to come on here and chat to everyone.

As far as the bot goes, same story, joined the navy, nothing has happened. Except now i have money to work on afore mentioned bot with. Very Happy

Anyway I must leave now, but hopefully, i shall be back here before too long, and i still look forward to a proper round of combat with everyone.

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:33 pm 
Knight

G'day all. It is with great pleasure that i can announce that team Haphazard will be returning with a new bot in the new year after acquiring a new team member and some money Razz

The new bot (name to be decided) is going to be a bar spinner. Two drill motors for the drive, probably a car fan motor for the weapon (connected to the weapon using a car fan belt), both run off (initially) 12V battery packs, eventually to be over volted to 18V.

Central control will be using an IBC (if anyone has one they want to off load i'd be more than willing to take it off your hands Razz) Radio will be a spectrum DX5e.

Armour will be a steel frame with removable 4mm steel plates.

There are still a few questions i need to answer before this will happen:
-Can i use the AR5000 that comes with the Spectrum as the IBC will have the failsafe abilities?
-how to mounting the various motors and the spinner itself.

I've acquired an old copy of AutoCAD 2006, so i'll try and put up a CAD of the proposed design...once i figure out how to use it...

Anyway, back to study, yay! Sad

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:32 pm 
KillerKat

Ello! yes i am the new member for team Haphazard! Very Happy woohoo! i'm excited. I think our robot needs some parts though, so if u have bits and pieces around plz feel free to share. Anway just thought i'd make myself known and all that.
byez

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:28 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

welcome back Very Happy Very Happy

i might be willing to let go of my ibc, its pretty used but it still works haha, drop me a PM or catch me on msn and we can talk about it Smile

design sounds good though! i **think** the DX5 is okay for failsafe but dont hold me to that. one of the others will have to chip in there. (might be the AR500)

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Mmm, more spinners! It sounds like you are headed in the right direction with your design - will it be a horizontal or vertical spinner? Some fan motors work much better than others; there are some photos floating around but I can't recall what model car has them.

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:59 pm 
Knight

We are looking at making it horizontal, angled slightly down towards the front.

Thanks for the heads up about the fan motors pics, i assume you were talking about the pics in this topic: http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Now its just a case of finding the local auto wreckers and seeing if they've got anything on that list. Or i may have to trek out to find pick and payless when i get back to Sydney.

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:04 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It might be hard to get to, but I recommend Pick & Pay Less out at Marayong. Most 'over the counter' wreckers want to sell the whole fan assembly at a huge price, while at PnP you just extract the bits you need. You can occasionally get lucky with a Bosch motor similar to the EV Warrior motor, while the Nichi Ra (spelling?) motor is much more common in Jap cars and is better than almost anything else.

I am not sure how you will go using belts and presumably pulleys from a car. Most car pulleys are steel and VERY heavy. Most builders end up getting Stenco aluminium pulleys from a supplier like CBC - I can find some details if you need them.

The design sounds excellent, not that I'm biased or anything Laughing

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:19 pm 
Knight

Yeah okay, i'll wait till i get back to Sydney, its not like i can build much here in Canberra atm.

Yeah i'd take you up on the offer of details about the belts and pulleys if i could. I'd been looking on smallparts.com.au but i decided it would be less confusing to just get the pulley and belt with the motor. If you've got details, i would welcome them.

Well i'd be lying if the spinners i've seen havn't influenced the design Razz

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:34 pm 
Archer

Whats wrong with good old canberra besides the lack of anything decent Razz

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:13 pm 
Knight

Well an update from team Haphazard:

No work on the robot yet because I've been at sea, but we have acquired a new radio.

Due to a (thus far unsuccessful) foray into model aircraft, planes in particular and thus a need for a reasonable radio, we've bought a Spectrum DX6i, its integrated perfectly into the plane and the hope is it should work fairly well in the robot.

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:06 pm