www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Bender~Rotwang~Vic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Still thinking about the 8 cell bender and possible new VD so have worked up enough courage to try the Sabertooth 2X25 I have had gathering dust for some time.

The 30-volt max is theoretically safe with the 8 M1’s and I have hooked it up and tested it.
With an FM radio.
Work up to the self-calibrating BR 6000 turn on weirdness later.
Used a 5volt linear as EBEC.

It works, so far so good.

Post Sat May 09, 2009 1:29 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Bender mark III drive motor and wheel

One change is we will be using lighter colsons 5 x 7/8 rather than 5 x 1/4

I'll point out the hub adapter, that particular part is the first Rotwang robot part to be designed in CAD before we make it out in the workshop, everything else basically comes straight from Gary's head into real life, besides the odd occasion when a concept is scribbled on a serviette or used envelope.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/762378/benderdrive.jpg

Benders NEW frame so far, what you see is about all that actually exists in RL and I'm cading it for experience, or you never know we might even draw the whole thing in CAD before the rest is built (not looking foward to drawing the bike tire).

So far im on the steep end of the learning curve when it comes to joining/constraining parts in assembly, the box that's not looking attached has been difficult, its a bit fussy because the top and bottom boxes aren't parallel...I got one side on though, unsure how...anyway, its taking some time. Also I got no idea how to constrain tube sections, so any advice using Inventor in that regard would be helpful!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/762378/benderframe.jpg

Last edited by Rob Team Rotwang on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:09 pm; edited 4 times in total

Post Fri May 22, 2009 6:46 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

Mark II Bender Blade

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/762378/benderblade.jpg

In a different story, this particular part is for the Sidetracked Arcade bots, which are the publics coin in the slot robots we're working on. I've been doing the lathe work and tapping of the hub adaptor which gives the sprocket something solid to bolt onto.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/762378/arenabothub.jpg

Last edited by Rob Team Rotwang on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Fri May 22, 2009 7:33 am 
andrew

NOICE

hey man, if that is a good mount for trolley wheels (looks like trolley hubs) to sprocket i will pay to have some done

got me numerous trolley wheels here originally for a lightweight just always had the issue of mounting the sprocket perfectly to it so theres no wobble and perfectly centred

Anyways ill pester u more on msn

Post Fri May 22, 2009 9:55 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I made the exact same thing for an electric scooter for my son Very Happy

Post Fri May 22, 2009 4:32 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Bender I

Bender II

Bender III

Bender IV

Bender I
Runner up Battle shed 07

The tree for ideas festival. One of the events this bot did really well. Singularity beat all three of the Rotwang robots Bane, Reboot and Bender to win the event.

The inner skeleton before being wrapped in motorbike tire. We used an old used motorbike tire for this version. With the theory “The green reed which bends in the wind is stronger than the mighty oak which breaks in a storm “ Later swapped to a new tire which was even more durable in fights. Less inclined to rip and tear, more bounce. It used Magna fast glass window winders for the drives.

1st 2nd generation weapons. The original weapon was a slow torquey chipper blade with a 24volt 250watt brushed gear motor.. That was replaced with the motorbike disk with a Boche radiator fan weapon motor.

4th this shows the cut out motorbike blade swapped to. Used in the mark II version aswell.

This is why we go for new tires now. This was an old hard one.

Bender II
Inheriting the weapon attachment from mark I leaving that version with the chipper weapon. Bender II continued to do very well. Now quicker using and gmc drill motors with 90 degree gear boxes. Colson wheels replaced the white wheels with the rubber tires. This removed a vulnerability, We lost a fight once due to the tire getting hit off and jamming the drives.

Runner up with Rapturer in this event. Rapturer had more reach and belted in the guard we had on the weapon pulley. Stopping it. In future the guard was removed and strived to package in a larger weapon.

Guard now gone and using a second-hand scooter motor for the weapon.
Robowars 6 Win

Win at battleshed when I drove it circa 2008

High scores

Bender III

Robowars 7 Win

This frames a lot like the mark II frame, just more cleanly built with the weapon motor now mounted right at the back of the frame. To balance the robot and protect the motor.

Using a 24v 250w scooter motor, modified with the pulley mounted straight on without the gear.

Weighing with the weapons. The weapons need to be hacked down to a useable weight. Tire has a bunch more wire put through it. One earlier vulnerability was it getting torn off.

Got a couple of these with Nick and Glens name on them. Laughing These are made of 30 300 grade structural. They are hacked down from a disk shape. Theres a lot of hacking that goes on to get these into shape. They’re free, from a rejected batch of lazercut parking brake disks, meant to be used on mining Land Cruisers. The hard facing is free from a guy who works in a quarry. The centre bearings a free Falcon air conditioning clutch. Its all free. It spins up fast and can hack and grind. They can bend on hard wedge robots but we have a lot of spares. Weighs about 2-3kg with the centre mounting star.

Set up for balancing

Bender IV
Planning to go away from the tire with future version. Using new indestructible armor. Car leaf spring.

Last edited by Rob Team Rotwang on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:48 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

"Got a couple of these with Nick and Glens name on them. Laughing "

So how thick are the disks - about 10mm? Just wondering how fast I should run Mangle's beater to pretzel up Bender's weapon Razz

Post Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:29 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

yes 10mm your eye micrometer is spot on, if you bend it into a pretzel you can take it for the trophy cabinet.. along side our broken axe heads from previous battles Laughing

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:53 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

mr mangle/shinny out to get some revenge for scissorhands

we kept this souvenir from this fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh3InCi3m64

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:10 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

i was really happy to be able to use bender. fun robot to use, can deal some real damage. on the upside the weapon was effective, spun up noticeably fast with the 400w motor. didnt need to use the spare disks. the drives worked well after rate limited with the sidewinders. could have benefited from more careful preparation, so bolts didnt fall out of the weapon hub and maybe something to stop the weapon motor wriggling out.

lost first fight back after all those years. fighting NC. benders dual 25 amp Sabretooth over heated and turned off. dad bought the sabretooth many years ago and never used it in fear of it blowing up but fit it this time with a switch mode eliminator and extra heat sink. thought this would by pass some the problems people had with them. but it just heated up and stopped. scorpion xl still needed rate limit. knocked a few bits of aluminium off NC and put a few gouges in here and there but didnt disable him. Thought id bend a disk in this fight but didnt. brought all the spares for nothing.

won fight but had some speed control issues with fight against kojac but more intermittent than the issues with nc. had to rate limit the drives afterwards. still more than enough speed at 80%. bent his plow up pretty well, lifting winch and drives were disabled but repairable.

won fight against not so plastique but had the bolts rattle part way out of the weapon hub. fights in 2 parts because they had to unstick. wiring was a bit hot afterwards. i thought there was just bits of seans robot stuck in the weapon which might clear so didnt totally give up trying to use it during the fight. seans come back to steel frames seemed to be as sturdy as previous bot Born to fail when versing bender. re arranged not so plastiques lifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7CKEoD9Xv0&index=9&list=PLCw5EpJWmv1k3ZftAkl-zORrzFhEjf-Mg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r38crURtGw&list=PLCw5EpJWmv1k3ZftAkl-zORrzFhEjf-Mg&index=20

lost in the semi finals, weapon belt came off when motor half fell out in the fight with angus's roadkill. i had things under control until bender fell apart. nicks warning roadkill can get hit and wont die came true for us. took a lot of hits, bent its prongs a little. wacked another hose clamp on the weapon motor for the rumble. but had to make the belt tigher, previously it ran a bit on the loose side. oh and last but not least the gearbox aluminium housing broke and the wheel fell off.

multiple things happened to the weapon in the rumble
i was enjoying quite a few good hits, think i belted everyone, trying to avoid any friendly fire pami had hydra and dad had skeletor.
tried to make up for not drawing mr mangle in the rounds and lined him up a few times.
mangle got underneath by the looks of the belly pan dealt a hit right under the motor probably loosening it from the hose clamps, that accompanied by a few aerial jumps, landing on prowlers saw at one point.
bolts in the weapon hub came loose and could be what made the weapon fry. weapon wouldve got jammed and the belt was a lot tigher this time.
weapon motor ended up on the floor getting kicked around by skeletor.

very cool pov rumble video by nick
http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74&start=7125
http://www.nswrfc.org/Nick/melee.mp4
rumble video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_o3psl9fDA&index=19&list=PLCw5EpJWmv1k3ZftAkl-zORrzFhEjf-Mg
few mr mangle marks on the disk here

dent in line with the weapon motor

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:24 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

So are we likely to see bender again at this years nats?

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:16 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Sorry for the late reply I saw it when you posted but I didnt know if we will be back this year and I still dont know. We shall see, last time was good but time really flies its almost June! and gary has been busy with car projects work etc doesnt want any distractions. But maybe closer todate well do some robot stuff, he can accomplish a fair bit in a little time so im up for the trip it if he is. The comps in November yes?

Post Wed May 11, 2016 9:21 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Sooner but in Canberra August. So bit shorter trip this time.

Steve

Post Wed May 11, 2016 10:09 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

2018 Robowars Brisbane

Bender 4 and Bender 3 and although it was hard to pick it Bender 2 was entered aswell sorry Bender 1 you were left at home.

Bender 4 got a big KO hit from Glens Obliterator, quite remarkable the damage inflicted by one hit to what we considered pretty impervious, car leaf spring armor. But Glen keeps breaking boundaries like that, ever since the early days when he was putting his Nicads in the fridge between fights to cool them down. Glen knows how to push the limits. Demon was probably the first vertical spinner to make a robot hit the roof. Might've even been one of ours receiving that hit Bane? I think against anyone else that car leaf spring armor would've stood up pretty well. Now bender 4 is retired and bender 3 is relied upon to take the team through to the finals.

Bender 2 as stingray had a great matchup against the new Zealand team and some spectacular highlights were generated, i remember the comment from the new Zealanders was like we've never fought another robot that takes that much damage and keeps moving. we had to stack you in the corner to beat you! It took a great bit of damage and went out in a blaze of fire. how every robot should retire. We wont be bringing stingray out anymore that was his last hurrah.

Bender 3 made it through day one without a loss, fought some new bots that havent competed before, some fights didnt go the full 3 minutes, some were fought with a motor hanging out the side, fought our friend from Victoria and took his weapon out with one hit, broke richards speed controller twice hitting, that meant i fought richards drumbot killeniumfalcon twice. eventually facing upto the chance of fighting the new Zealanders, here i was hoping glen would beat dream crusher and take on bad blood, glen looses to dreamcrusher through some unfortunate high siding after one of the most spectacular ke fights ive seen. those kiwis build a mean robot.

the last 2 fights against the kiwi's naturally didnt go the full 3 minutes and in both instances they incapacitated, the kiwis put 100% into weapon and dont compromise at all, so it was only by turning them over that i could win those fights as bender 3 had a few issues by that stage. ie bolt came loose holding the A frames together, contributing to the crack in the frame, frames from 2009 and done a few events. im not sure if the bolt came loose when the frame snapped or the frame snapped because the bolt came loose.
lost a motor in one of those final two fights.

the earlier fight where the motor was hanging off the side was just a pit mistake, not twisted in with wire.

apart from that no broken electronics, no belt failure, the disks werent made to last long we expected the hubs to break bearings so we brought heaps of blades. i was using a lot of bender 4's blades up by the end. and i had to go in with a long bar when i really didnt want to use that against the kiwis. but that was all that was left.

too short of a bolt in the weapon bar was a big problem, needed a little more thread.

really happy with the robot, would like to put it back together and maybe keep it on the side lines for when matt wants to come to an event. chassis could do another few fights we're just getting low on reserves of that right angle gmc gearbox. so i was planning on making a beefier version on the cnc machine when i skilled up enough.

started talking about a bender 5 straight away. with glen pushing the arms race we needed something to take him on.
so the way to beat a horisontal spinner is the one with the biggest blade wins. i put an offer to buy his bot if it became available. but as that never eventuated we started buying parts to go with bender with bigger blade, bane bot drives and basically everything else pretty similar. we improved on the electronics with the scorpion xl to run on the 36 volt. running same 400w brushed weapon motor. little bit of hardox to improve the front apex. dads gone a bit different with the frame. so we've saved weight here and there, banebots bit lighter, we done away with spring steel and hoping to get a bit of flex with the hardox and keep the rest pretty stiff with rhs.

bender 4 become drop bear and thats another story. basically a 4 wheel bender.

Post Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:26 pm