RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

The RoboWars Computer Tech Support Department
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

put the plan in her name and stop paying. worked for me Surprised

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Andrew W

Relatively easy to fix, most routers allow you to close down ports. Just close down most of the ports except for http (port 80) for her IP address. Your router should give you her IP address.
On my Netgear router it is called "Block Services", set up two one for port 1-79 and one for port 81-10000. If the games still work add another to block ports 10001-30000 and finally block ports from 30001 to 65000. Your router might not let you block ports in such a big lump, so you might need to make smaller groups.
This should still allow her web site access and MSN might still work (as I've seen it use port 80), but should stop the online games (as long as they aren't flash games, but if they are, you can't do much about it).

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:14 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

msn and games wont use 8gb in a week.
Have you set the security on your router?
IE WPA etc, your neighbours could bittorrent 8gb in a week without breaking a sweat.

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Yep iv set the security with a massive password and set it so only her pc will be allowed to even try to connect to the network all other will be blocked.

To be sure i changed the password tonight.

I think theres some downloading too and a lot of net surfing.

Lol its agreed she pays half the bill and ill get 20gb download Cool

Saves me moneys Very Happy

Takes care of download but i still have to share the speed Confused But my bills less each month.

Damn adsl2 not in my town Evil or Very Mad

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:43 pm 
cerberus3112

kk guys I return Razz I have posted on other forums and im still waiting for a reply hopfully someone here can give me a hand

My toshiba m400 tablet laptop stopped booting recently and I am unable to find an answer to my problem.
The laptop is refurbished I bought it off e-bay 6-7 months ago so the 2 month warrenty is out. It worked fine up until recently

History:
about 2 weeks ago it started to hang then about 1 minute later the fan would go really loud and the only way to get the laptop to work was to pull the power and reboot, it started off about once per day I thought that it was just weird and ignored it until it got more frequent.
then about 1 week later it when I tried to boot the laptop the power light would go on and nothing would happen then a while later the fan would start being really loud.
What I tried:
I replaced the battery as I thought it was a power issue, still not working
I did some research and thought it might be a over heating issue because of dust.I opened it up and cleaned out the dust and was careful not to kill it still not working
Connected it to an external monitor in case it was the screen that was not working , the screen didnt show anything

Currently I push the power switch and the 1st light from the left, the power light goes on and I can hear the fan and hard drive working but nothing is displayed on the screen and I dont think the system is booting. But the fan no longer goes really loud it just sits there humming.
The same thing happens regardless of what battery I use or if the laptop is plugged in. So any ideas :S

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 pm 
Collo

Im fairly certain that your motherboard is screwed. It sounds exactly like what 50 odd students at school have gone through. That or, from what I've been told, your RAM could have an issue.
That's just my 2c, might want to verify this with the other, more intelligent members of this forum Smile

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:34 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I had that a long time aggo but cant remember all the details but from memory when i took the battery out it would work again at least for a bit as it would reset something "bios i think" but i think it was eather the ram as i had to update the bios to see the extra ram i put in or it was from me overclocking the gpu.

Sorry i cant remember all the details but it sound like the same problem i had but it was fixed in the end just some setting somewhere.

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:51 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Why would a computer hate the cold?

I have noticed that my intermittent computer fault is worse in the cold weather, bellow 20 degrees. It can take an hour to turn on and will shut down randomly. This morning I placed a heater behind the tower and the computer started straight away and has remained rock solid.

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:35 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thermal Expansion.

Computers consist of *millions* of solder connections. Many of them are surface mount chips where the connections are formed automatically by painting the circuit board with solder paste, placing the cips, and then heating it until the solder melts and pulls everything into place and connects it.

This is called "Reflow" soldering - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AUpN5kfiLc (The interesting bit happens at 1:25 )

Sometimes a connection isnt made properly, and since a computers circuitry ticks over like a swiss watch running in hyperdrive, the effect of a single not connected pin would be like one of said watches gears missing a tooth whilst meshing at warp 9

Putting some heat into things causes the circuit boards and metal to expand slightly, which can either make or break a connection. Sometimes heat causes the dodgy connection to press tighter together and everything is ok, sometimes it pulls it apart and things fall apart when it gets warm.

This is why any repair electronics techies bench will always have a heat gun and a can of freeze spray - it allows you to move around the circuit board heating and cooling parts of it, which localises which area causes failures when temperature cycled.

Unfortunately most computer components are of such a high connection density (any square centimeter probably contains a few hundred connections), such a low cost, and are so difficult to hand-rework becuase of the tiny solder joints, that trying to find the faulty connection and resolder it just isnt worth the time.

Usually your best bet is to use afore mentioned hair dryer and freeze spray to narrow the problem down to an individual board (motherboard, graphics, card, hard drive, whatever), and just replace that part.

Thats the most common cause anyway. similair things can sometimes happen *inside* the chips on occasion and some types of components can suffer thermal-related problems, but its the solder joints most of the time.

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You are very good at explaining complex issues in a simple manner. Thank you.

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:19 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

check the capacitors on the motherboard, If any of them have domed tops odds are they are screwed, symptom of this failure is intermitant screwups especially when you do high CPU type workloads (games or something like that)

If its your power supply it'll happen on boot with all the disk activity.

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Ah yes, the infamous capacitor plague. courtesy of our reverse engineering, industrial espionage asian friends.. Smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:41 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Need help with overclocking my cpu.

e5200 stock 2.5ghz 200mhz fsb 1.225v 12.5x mutli

Now i understand cpu multi and fsb so i have it on 12.5x240 at the moment for 3ghz stock voltage "unless i set bios to auto voltage it will up it to 1.296v"

I have ddr800 2.1v 4-4-4-12 ram and cos im running 240fsb the ram is overclocks to 960mhz.

Now i dont understand ram multi but if i set it to 3.33 it will run the ram at its rated 800mhz with a 3:5 ratio in cpuz so im not sure what this means or if its going to bottleneck?

Also can someone tell me how 240mhz gets to 960mhz i think its 240fsb x2 "dual cores" then x2 again "dual channel"?

Im no pc expert im just self tought over the years.

Any advice on oc would be great as in lower cpu multi and higher fsb or visa versa is better things like that?

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:53 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Intel CPU's use quad memory channels (I can't remember the terms for it), there for it's the frequency x 4. For a FSB 800mhz = 4 x 200mhz. FSB 1066 = 4 x 266mhz, FSB 1333 = 4 x 333mhz. Dual core doesn't have any affect on the multiplier in this case.

Your bottle neck here is the ram, it's the same issue I ran into with mine (4GB of $80 budget ram). I ran out of multipliers on the motherboard to keep the ram in spec (4x200mhz for DDR2-800) If you get some DDR2-1066 you'll be able to push higher to 4x266.

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:09 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Quad pumped i remember now.

Im happy with 3ghz for now just wanted know how the ram multi works and would it decrease performance as it lowers the mhz or dose the mb some how actully multiply it via the northbridge or something?

I also have 4x ram multi if i wanted to go higher.

Also should i set the voltage myself or set the bios to auto and let it do it?

I managed 7 hours prime95 untill one core got 1 fatal error hardware failure and stopped one core and the other core was still going but that was when the ram was oc to 960mhz and stock voltage.

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:18 pm