www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> The Marketplace

5mm Hardox 400

Author    Thread
Waddy the phoenix

5mm Hardox 400

hay just wondering if any one was interested in any 5mm Hardox 400 i have sent off an email enquireing about it but im not going to need a full sheet of the sizes they have i only need a small section of it (maby 2000mm X 60mm or there abouts) so here is my question would any one want to go shares with me for a sheet of Hardox 400 5.0mm thick X 2500mm X 4000mm

this is the mob i sent the email to http://www.hardox.com.au it dosnt have prices so thats what the email was asking about Very Happy

Post Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:56 pm 
mytqik

Waddy,

The plate you refer to is actually manufactured in sweeden & exported around the world, so dont be surprised if you fall over when you get the price back, especially if you only want one sheet.

Another option would be a steel grade called "bisalloy". It comes in several grades ranging from 80 - 500. Bear in mind that the higher the grade, the harder it is to cut/weld. Also as this is a quenched & tempered steel, once it is welded / fuel cut it is annealled back to a lower grade, so you will need to re-temper the steel to keep the high wear resistance.

If you are only after a small piece, as you mentioned, I would call up the local laser cutter & talk to them. If you can supply them a dwg / dxf file of the parts you want cut, they MAY be able to tack it onto a large job for a cartoon of beer or similar. It all depends on how you approach it. This also has the advantage that you dont have to cut it yourself.

The other drama you may face is availability. I know of manufactures in Brisbane that are literally on "rations or quotas". Wagners in Toowoomba are only allowed to use 2 full sheets per week. The Kkeerroo's should be able to confirm this as one of them works with ground engaging tools. China is currently using such a large portion of the worlds steel, they are driving the prices high due to short demand. I have designed over 1000 tonnes of steel to be manufactured this month alone. There are workshops over here employing hundreds of welders, that are manufacturing 1000's of tonnes each month.

Also 5mm thick Bisalloy/Hardox may be hard to track down. The only application of it that thin I know of is for linings in bins for material handling purposes. The majority of it starts at 10mm and I have even used it up to 125mm thickness for earthmoving machinery.

I am not trying to shoot you down in flames, far from it. Just giving some inside information into why it will be so expensive. Good Luck.

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:07 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thomas, from SSAB, manufactures Hardox in Woollongaba. He will only sell complete sheets. Have you looked at 450? I would guess around the $1000 mark for a sheet of 5mm.

You could try talking to someone who makes loader buckets for Bisalloy off cuts.

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:37 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Hmmm, I just read though those data sheets on the hardox website. Sound like the stuff our cutting edges are made of. It looks like the number after the hardox's name is the Brinell hardness equivialant, but the call it HBW on the sheet, so don't quote me there. 400 is pretty hard and I wouldn't won't to go any harder then that for high impact devices. We had some tub grinder blocks arrive from china and when I hardness tested them they came in at 450 BHN. The cutomer refused to take them as they have be know to explode in a machine if they are too hard. Now a 1kg lump of metal bouncing around a 500hp stump mulcher would be interesting to watch.
Also Randel's right about the price of steel going up. The Chinese strated buy it all at the start of the year for their olympic games in a few years. I think the chinese are charging us $1.40 a kilo, but again don't quote me, plus it be about 3 times that in Australia, I think.
Maybe I should ask Mark here if he has any cutting edge off cuts in the scrap bins up the back. I know he had one to hold up his kids basket ball hoop. But cutting edges tend to be at least 3/4" thick.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I priced up a sheet of 3.25mm Hardox 450, the smallest size I could get was 6000 x 1500 (LxW) and the price was about $580 plus GST. I'm saving up one again so I can buy a full sheet for myself. (Was so close last time till I went to Sydney!)

Philip, if your interested in getting some, let me know.

Post Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:59 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I am interested. I just need to know if I will have any weight left over. I still don't have my new parts. I should not have asked Annihilation to bite Marauder until my parts arrived.

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:22 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

LOL, I said are you sure....

What damage was actually caused? I remember you said the tank moved out of it's mounts. Did I manage to cut through that armour?

As for the Hardox, I'm looking at getting some when I get back from Melbourne just after christmas. I've got about $250 stock piled for the hardox, I'd like to personally buy 3/4 of the sheet myself and leave the other 1/4 to people who want to buy it.

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:36 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Annihilation cut through the armour in many places. It also put smaller holes in the 2.5 mm anti-Annihilation bars at the front. Hopefully my parts will arrive by Christmas. On paper there is sufficient weight for armor.

Post Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:00 am 
Waddy the phoenix

ok well i got a reply from them and it goes as follows

Wayde
Thank you for the interest in our HARDOX material.
Interesting application for the HARDOX steel. Please could you send me some photos of the robot.
For the thickness 5 mm I only take in HARDOX 450 and 500 to Australia. The smallest sheet I have is 2500x6000 mm.
For your knowledge we also have 3,2 and 4 mm sheets. I have two sheet in 3,2x1500x6000 mm
We are only selling full sheets. I working with some steel service centre which can cut the plate to the right dimension.

I am waiting for your reply.

Regards
Tomas Svensson

obliviously i cant show him a photo of my current robot so i think i will send him photos of the old version and also my cad drawings of tsng Laughing

Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:43 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Wayde, I'll get in touch with you, we might be abel to string a deal. Wink

Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:32 pm