www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

QLd Arena
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
chris

why dont we use 3mm poly, cheaper and more practicle

EDIT 6:14pm: - ADVERTISEMENT: head over to the off topic forum, i have a funny story, you will love it!!!

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:01 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats up to whoever owns the arena, but the standard for featherweight spinners seems to be 6mm

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well dont forget weve had every spinner in australia run in our dinky marayong arena and the only bad thing i can recall is little pieces of swarf getting launched out of the front of the arena back when we only had pvc screen and mesh.

last event i think we had a few pieces of crud ricochet of the screen, including the steel ball from my castor. theres a lot of flex in our screen too which no doubt helps things.

andrew put it well enough with the air gap and inner wall, thats the part thatll be "savin' your ass" Very Happy

it sounds like qld has a few arenas in the plan now though.

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats because nothing bad has happened yet.

The 6mm polycarb's not there to protect you from little bits of crud getting in your eyes.. 1mm would do that. Its to save your head when (as an example), a bar spinner gets tipped, the hardened steel bar hits the concrete, and a section of it breaks off at the drilled lightening holes, and a 1Kg piece of steel launches directly at you at 200km/h.

Sure, its very unlikely to actually happen, but would you play russian roulette even with only one bullet in the gun ?

What has happened so far has no bearing on what might happen one day. *Thats* why we have polycarb

Post Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:27 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

very true brett

Post Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:06 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Well to go through a few points - for everyone who doesn't know where Toowoomba is, it is about 1 1/2hours west of Brisbane - easy drive... I'm actually at Goombungee (no you wont find it on most maps - only 750 people live here) 1/2hour north of Toowoomba...
As far as the cost of arena goes... I have an old stable we are converting to an arena. **$600 in gravel and concrete is the first stage - if any QLDers can get it cheaper please let me know ASAP,
**Marto is organising panels for the walls,
**I thought 6mm poly was strong enough to contain lightweights (but since it now doesn't look like it is strong enough, the arena may have to be limited to feathers)...
** 2 viewing areas each protected by 6mm poly
I don't mind paying for the arena construction myself - since that way I get an arena to my liking but donations are welcome Laughing
It should be built before Xmas '04
The core idea is to have an arena that "full-throttle" spinners can be used - since I plan to rip-off Wink one of Team Storm's designs, "Storm Vortex" I think it is called...

Last edited by original_carnage on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:11 pm 
chris

Continue discussion from this thread in the thread in state specific infomation called: QLD arena

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I've moved the relevant posts from the big guns thread over to here. feel free to keep chatting about arena's here..

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:11 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

@ Spockie-Tech

Are the poly panels at sidetracked yet (or soon) ?
Has anyone fixed you up for the sheet we need up here ? If not, I'll be able to afford it myself soonish...

The concrete is due to go down in the next week, I guess. Then interior paint and internal panels go in within the following week. The only thing left will then be the poly sheet.

If all goes as planned, I'll organise a courier to bring the poly up before the event down there..... Idea if something stuffs up, I might as well accept the offer for a QLDer to bring it up with them when they return from the event in December.

Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:12 am