www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Non-spinner antweights
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Non-spinner antweights

Would people be interested in having a non-spinner competition running in addition to the open competition?

The idea is to increase diversity and enable everyone to build interesting robots without having to devote so much weight to surviving spinner attacks. Imagine a Sproing style of antweight picking up other ants. Axes, flame throwers and everything else would still be allowed. Trent might even be able to build a high pressure ant if he doesn't have to use up too much of the weight allowance for armour.

Hopefully, skillful driving and timing with the weapon would become a large factor in a class such as this.

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:07 pm 
andrew

love the idea

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That's how I ran the high school robot club, they had a lot of fun even without spinners. We upped the weight limit to 200grams to allow for the heavy AAA batteries.

Horrific quality video follows - More on my youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zQH4Vf9GkM&feature=relmfu

PS: Not responsible for their insane yelling and swearing >_> Kids these days. Razz

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:28 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I also think that playing things like soccer and races could be interesting. Also may link better with workshops as not as many people will be scared of seeing their bot destroyed.

Steve

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

"Dont flip me bro!"

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:12 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

From a personal perspective, I'm looking forward to producing a new antweight (non-spinner) to take on anything that turns up in competition Smile. Unless a bunch of people can put forth their innovative plans that they can commit to building for a non-spinner division, I don't see it creating a big increase in antweights or creativity in antweight design.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Is there even enough scope to make anything worthwhile in 150 grams? that isnt destructive.

Sounds like itll be a yawn fest of lifters, flipper and wedges like any alternate class ever proposed has turned out to be.

Prove me wrong tho ;D

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yes and no.

The scaling of spinners in the tiny 150g class is pretty crazy. (Motor + bar = lots of destruction) Which causes a few issues so I think having a non spinner ant class is probably more viable than most. Also as they are so cheap you can just build a non spinner and spinner class ant. Or run it in both.

Some of the dancing around the pit which has gone on with scorpy has been more entertaining than the one hit wonders which have been thrown in there. Also just because you eliminate spinners doesn't mean there will be no destruction. I have an idea that if aaron ever actually builds what he is talking about he will make sure of that.

In any case I really don't worry about spinners anyway I just rebuild after every bout. Razz

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:57 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
The scaling of spinners in the tiny 150g class is pretty crazy. (Motor + bar = lots of destruction)

Yes & No. Taking the Scarlet Vs Stig matches at FMC as the example. Scarlet belted Stig with some big hits, and Stig barely took any damage. Both matches were won by Scarlet due to damage to the weapon servo and Stig ending upside down (or is that right side up?). With a small change to how the flipper is mounted and actuated in Stig (creativity and ingenuity), that probably wouldn't have happened and Scarlet would have definitely lost the finals (Was a pwn fest till I got the full throttle hit on Stig).

Some of the desctruction caused by antweight spinners is because of some lazy designed robots. If you have exposed wiring and no armour in certain places, of course is gonna be a bloody mess when something hits it Laughing

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Who would ever leave parts exposed, or use battery as a structural component..... (I may be a little lazy)

I also have a piece of 1.5mm ali which would disagree with your no damage/limited damage argument. Not all of us have Ti sheet lying around.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

It's not the material, but how you use it Razz

(Don't ask me how to use it, I'm still stuck on coke bottles >.>)

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:33 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I somewhat agree to what aarons saying, power to weight is crazy, then again so is armour to weight in that class. even cloth backed tape is legitamately decent armour Razz

I reckon youll find theres going to be a limit to how much power you can pack into an antweight given the bars and disks universally mount onto the motors too. Seemed like alot of us were already finding that out at FMC.

The class is still in its early days though, give it time and things will spice up eventually. So long as people are willing to not take the easy way out and put some awesome designs into practice Smile

Should have an award per event for most inventive robot. Complete with trophy, crown, glory and women! XD

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Just an off-the-top-of-my-head thought, might be silly, maybe not.

How about a class based on a a particular size/weight hammer as the only weapon allowed

ie. a 1Kg bunnings 1 foot long hammer that has to swing in a vertical axis. with a maximum robot weight of X, and if you want to keep it cheap, electrically driven only.

Hammer bots are about the most visual, loud, exciting non spinner type that I can think of.

The idea might be full of holes, but it sounds like a reasonable stab at a non-spinner class that doesnt turn into a wedge/flip fest.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:39 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Question you really have to ask yourself is would you build one?

I think I am much more likely to try out something inventive then build just a hammer bot. But just my opinion. Also can the hammer spin about the vertical axis with counterfeit attached to the other end so that it's balanced. Nice idea but very hard to get people to build one with such a narrow design. Would work well as a beginners class but then you would need a large group of beginners.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:20 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, Its a technically challenging design to build, but yes I would probably build one.

I think hammer bots are about the most entertaining robot Ive seen.. they cause a lot of anticipation, require good driving skills, make a lot of noise, arent too dangerous (if not pneumatic) and keep the potential damage reasonable.

Theres nothing to stop someone adding wedges or spikes or whatever, (although I would exclude spinners), just that it has to carry the hammer and be able to swing it.. but like I said, just an off the wall design idea.

I dont see a lot fo "inventiveness" in any of the "unlimited" classes these days. people just go and build higher ke spinners, stronger wedges, or lifters over and over agaoin. hammer bots are pretry rare.

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:55 pm