www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

drilling hardened material

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

drilling hardened material

hello,

im trying to drill through the 5mm hardened steel on auroras spinner motor to put a split pin through but it just does not want to drill.

is there some way i can anneal the material to drill through it or some method i can use to drill through the material without annealing it.

i read you could use a nail in a drill press to heat the shaft of the motor but aaron said it would fold the nail, im inclined to think the same thing.

any suggestions?

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mytqik

Glen,

Chances are if it is a shaft then it is only case hardened. Case hardened is used to give a nice hard surface for a shaft to run on, while still leaving the centre "soft" to resist shock loads. If it was "through hardened" it would be very brittle & no good as a shaft..

So to answer your question, if you can grind the top 1 or 2 mm off the shaft then the centre can easily be drilled through. I would use a burring tool in a dremel to do this.

Hope this helps.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:01 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

thanks im sure it will help Smile

ive filed off a big flat on one side now so ill have a go at drilling that and see how it goes.

btw what is the recommended drilling speed and lubricant for drilling steel?

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mytqik

Going back to my fitting days, the formula for normal HSS (high speed steel) drillbits is 900 / drill diametre. Therefore the smaller the drill the faster it spins.

As for coolant, you could also try using normal brake fluid. It not only cools but acts a cutting compound. Just be carefully with the brake fluid as it is really bad in your eyes & it is a really good paint stripper, so make sure it doesn't splash anywhere.

Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:12 pm 
3Faze

Cobalt drills anyone?

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:25 am