www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Sidewinder - Hellfire Labs - Qld
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

You can check these guys for omni-wheels. http://www.rotacaster.com.au/shop/category/cat2165/Rotacaster_Omni-Wheels.html

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The flame thrower is installed but having issues. The ignitor is from a $15 usb plasma globe which I was planning to run from a 2 cell 360 Lipo. The wire from inside the globe is held near the steel chassis and will create a constant 5mm long spark and weighs only a few grams. I got myself a Turnigy electric switch but I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work. It seems the guys who designed it want the switch hooked up to the positive side of what I'm switching and then the switch grounds through the BEC. This if fine if I only had one battery, however I'm using a large 6 cell battery for the drive and a 2 cell for the sparker. The BEC is run from the 6 cell because the little battery can't supply enough juice for the dodgy Turnigy BEC. With the BEC and swith on different circuits the switch can't ground and it doesn't work. If I change the BEC to the little battery the receicer cuts in and out once a second because of a lack of power with the sparker running.
The very bad chinglish on the switch instructions say to put the BEC on the big battery and connect the black wires of the two batteries together. This seems a bit dodgy to me and I'm worried it might cause smoke due to different size batteries and the sparker grounding on the chassis. I'm also thinking of using a home made antweight regulator BEC on the sparker instead of the Turnigy BEC. Just not sure if I should trust the chinglish instructions

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:56 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Can you do a drawing of the wiring?
I can bring that old relay switch tomorrow if you want.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lemming

Connecting the black (ground) wires of the batteries together shouldn't cause any issues at all as the ground wire should be at 0v potential.

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

ok, I'll follow the instructions.
I just have a strong distrust for anything chinese people tell me. (hope Connie doesn't read this)

Grounding the sparker to the robot chassis is fun. Gives me a tingle every time I turn it on. Electronics if fun.

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:34 pm