RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Video Production and Editing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
I love lazy fridays at work Razz if only I could do my video editing here hehe

You could! Just write an article in new months issue about editing HD video. You could do comparisons on Dual/Quad Cores, Overclocking and even look into future possibilities of using GPU's to stream process the data Razz There's an article in itself! You can process all the videos from Battleshed as your tests!

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:40 pm 
cerberus3112

lol nice idea will it work Laughing

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:11 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

More comments on video production.

The camera, not the computer, does the compression to HDV or long GOP Mpeg2. You will notice that you can still ingest the HDV in real time. As you say, HDV takes up the same hard drive space as DV25.

Having used Premiere in the past, I feal for you. Premiere is an unstable program. You say that Premiere ran poorly on your PC even with SD. You might consider the Avid family for your next software upgrade. You will be able to mix all sorts of formats on the one timeline without conversion or rendering until it is time to export. The constant rendering sucks on Premiere.

Every time you transcode you will incur artefacts. You will maintain the highest quality by capturing your footage in the format in which you wish to export. In this instance, that would be SD. You might find that the loss of quality is unnoticeable, but it will be there. The limiting factors are more likely to be the lighting and shooting through polycarbonate.

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:22 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

While the camera does the original encoding to HD the PC then has to process it like any other video codec during editing or playback.

In my experience playing back HD takes a lot more processign power than SD. This makes sense when you reliase while the compressed footage can take up the same space as SD during playback it is getting uncompressed. Since you can have basically 4 times the information being uncompressed and displayed it does take a lot more processing power to accomplish.

If you look at the tech behind HD and bluray DVD players they do a lot more work to output full HD. For example the first Toshiba HD DVD players were esiiantally a highly modified P4 PC dedicated to video plyaback.

Even current computer videocards have on board HD decoding to help with proper HD playback due to the extra processing power needed.

Capturing HD is pretty much just copying it so it is not too strenuous. Once you start wokring with it however while it is the same size it still is much more information being bandied around.

Thanks for the tip on Avid, i will definately give it a try. Having used a varitey of programs including Final Cut Pro etc I have found Premiere to be the most powerful, but certianly not the most user friendly. Mostly however thats due to lots of extra plug ins for effects etc that are not needed for robot editing.
I am happy to blame my old PC for a varitey of troubles and yes the latest version of Premiere ran badly, mostly I suspect due to the low amount of RAM I had. Anyway after an upgrade to a water cooled overclocked quad core with 4GB and dual 10k RPM raptor drives I don't have too many issues.

I disagree that I will maintain the best quality by shooting in the format I wish to export.

For example when i got my camera I tried out a whole bunch of different things to see how the camera performed. The camera CMOS chip captures footage in HD, it has that many pixels. I can either choose to record the information about all those pixels in HD to tape or I can let the camera downconvert to SD and record to tape.
The thing is the camera is downconverting the image for me in hardware on the fly. It does a good job and the SD footage looks great. However, the camera is still down converting the footage to SD from HD. This is exactly the same as is done on the PC except the camera does it real time.

In my experience with my camera I can get a better result downconverting in post. The PC has a lot more procesisng power to put to work in the convert than the camera does and in every case i have tried or seen it does a better job of it. When you think about it that is hardly suprising since it is a full PC vs a hardware coding chip in the camera.
As you said, every time you transcode you incur artifacting. Thats why I let my super powerful PC and latest software do the transcoding for me, not the few years old first gen camera hardware.

There is also the argument that HD footage is more compressed and therefor has more artifacting that SD. In practive however both compression codec cause some artifacting and while the SD codec is less compression the HD codec is more advanced, resulting in similar levels of artifacts once at SD. IN fact i generally find the artifacting from HD that is then downconverted to SD much softer and harder to see than straight up SD compression artifacts. Anyway these effects are almost neglible in the majority of examples i have seen.

Also I have yet to shoot any footage that does not benifit from some post production colour correction / brightness adjustment / white balance etc, however small. In my experience this is best done with HD footage as it always looks better when converted to SD than doing the same effects to SD.

While my moral choices are not in question here I am happy to admit I download and use the latest version of my editing software of choice. I have found that the various updates have made some big diferences in post production editing quality.

Also while this thread is spawned from Robot footage discussion I am not talking about it specifically. Any video production practices I employ are not limited to this one aspect, though i agree that most of the differences are almost entirely negated by other factors such as the polycarb that effects the image a whole lot more.

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Which version of Premier are you using now? I have Premier Pro 1.5 and am thinking about getting an upgrade as its fairly cheap.

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:38 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I was going to say this yesterday but got caught up with the pro-NSW talk and since the thread editing fairy has come along this is a bit late.
The DVDs I was referring to in my posts are the 2006/2007 Robowars DVDs which have not been mentioned since those events. I was asking for footage to be posted on the web because I don't like the chances of a 2008 Robowars DVD considering the track record.
I don't like pointing fingers in my posts but it seems if I don't then someone entirely unrelated to my argument takes offense. I try to be political and end up as the bad guy.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Just for the record I didn't take offense.

I was just explaining my position, mostly because I feel bad about how long it has been taking me.

Whether you intended to or not you definately helped push me towards getting more done sooner and that can only be good! Smile

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:59 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I suspect this is all an intelligence gathering exercise so our bots and fighting moves can be analyzed and counter measures and strategies worked out to defeat us. Very Happy

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:14 pm 
Astronautics

If someone has a way of sending video files through e-mails or something (which can be complicated seeing as though most video files are huge) i wouldn't mind attempting to put a DVD together of an event or two. I can't guarantee the best quality as i don't have the fastest computer, but i may have a bit more spare time than some of you.

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:54 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Can Windows Live Movie Maker export an mp3 file? I want to shorten an mp3 and export it as audio only without video. Any ideas?

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Dont think so, Vegas Pro will do it though. I use a copy of it now over WMM.

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Philip:
Can Windows Live Movie Maker export an mp3 file? I want to shorten an mp3 and export it as audio only without video. Any ideas?

Download Audacity, it's an open source program for editing audio files etc etc. Real easy to do what your looking at.

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:58 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks, Aaron. It worked.

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:59 am