www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Demon Robots - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 113, 114, 115  Next

Author    Thread
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

i just noticed the 'ozito' logo visible in one of the first shots where its just tacked on Razz

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:59 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Nothing subliminal there. Its at this time i'd like to announce my new sponsor, OZITO! >__>;

And of course its bin metal Razz, where else would it come from, some kind of STORE?! Shocked

Better start work on that antweight. see if i cant make a one piece frame. Where is my rotary table ebay >:C

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Busy week here, got a few robot parts to make. I particularly like this one :3 the entire rod only weighs 4 grams. Dont mind the ragged tapped hole, i havent cleaned it up yet >.>

Had a decent idea for demons wedges that ill tack together if i have time. it should follow on with the "chunky" theme quite nicely Smile

Hopefully all the bits will arrive for my mates antweight and he can start putting that together here for the 25th. Apparently they're still floating around in switzerland lol. GJ hobbyking. GJ.

Exorcist i think ill just be adding metal gear servos and tinker with the belt drive so it spins much better. Also got some c4 bearings (the uber efficient kind i have in killer) so that should make it all a bit quicker and heavier hitting.

Got a new demon drafted up mostly too so i can shoot off an email to the waterjetting place this arvo. fingers crossed they stock bisalloy!

Post Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

What could this be for! Surprised Time to make - 14 hours start to finish x.x

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Looks a bit like a multi-V pulley; is it something for your bike?

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:44 pm 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

that looks pretty good glen,14hrs you've earned a break Wink
nice job

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:39 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

And back from a weekend sojourn,

Thanks for the comments Smile and nah its a part for a new beetleweight someones making. Who ever its for can say what its purpose is cause honestly I'm not entirely sure Laughing

I christen this, robot week! I dont think there's much to do but you know how things pop up during testing. Well Killers tooth was one of those things.

I was ramming it into an 8kg ingot of steel to see if the new bearings i got were good (one of them has gone all grindy so apparently not!) and just mashed it into oblivion.

I think it was some random chunk of steel i used to start with so really no surprise. It lasted a while considering, but the new breed of hardened beetleweights would have been the end of it. So time for a stronger one.

Cutting the old one off, this new one is a bit bigger and 1mm thicker to offset the balance issue its developed as a result of the disk being bent >.>

The disk was lathed back as true as i could get it then a curve was put in the bottom of the tooth ready for weldinating.

All zapped together at 160 amps. Should be strong, the last tooth was only done at 90 amps and never came off. so watch as this new one flies off on the first hit XD

In any case, it should be stronger even having been heat affected by the welding.

Next plan is to remake it entirely out of some waterjetted good steel and use a small replacable aluminium hub. Some cad works showed that a huge ali center isnt really any lighter then a spoked steel one even after being attacked with holes and recesses and the like so that was rather enlightening.

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:04 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
Some cad works showed that a huge ali center isnt really any lighter then a spoked steel one even after being attacked with holes and recesses and the like so that was rather enlightening .

ISWYDT

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:27 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

EYYYYYYY

To make this post worthwhile, weapons all tested out. Much better balanced then before. success!

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:39 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

hooray!

bags not first match against sharp new tooth

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:46 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Alrighty, time for my own robots today.

Killer had the cut outs on the side panels enlarged a little to accomodate the bigger tooth. It sounds a trivial job but the way the frames assembled it was a major ass of a job that took nearly 2 hours from start to stop. ugh!

Aside from that all good to go. i wanted to replace the pulley with one that has larger flanges on it, but i dont have any ali rod thats larger enough, so thats rather pointless. she shall soldier on for one more event at least before i replace the disk with a waterjetted item Razz

Exorcist needed a little bit of work. Things to change were the servos, the reciever wiring and the weapon belt.

Reciever i just hacked the pins off, and i mean hacked then soldered the wires on the bottom to give it a bit room inside the robot as well as save a gram or two needed for the heavier servos.

The metal gear servos from angus look great, i did the paperclip speed mod to them (jamming a paper clip through a 1mm hole drilled in the middle set of gears) and it seems to work better than on the plastic ones. the paperclips a damn tight fit.

With any luck the metal gears and bearing support should make em a bit more durable then the TG9s. Certainly drives better at this stage Smile

And the belt! well that was the main reason apart from crappy drives that stopped it working well at robot serial killers. Everytime it would hit something the controller would crap out and need the throttle turned off then on again. which was basically every hit. This is more or less because the tiny motor isn't that powerful.

After some experimenting i found the right belt length that lets the bar spin up from a dead stop with barely any slip but once the motor is going, the bar can be stalled and the motor still turns. its works really damn good and the bar spins up again super fast after its stalled. So im really eager to see how it goes in a fight!

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:50 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Event report!

Killer -

Only 3 competitors but it did okay. It seemed to drive much slower than at robot serial killers so i think the cheap HK battery is a dud. Ill do some testing on that later.

Aside from that the only things worth noting are the belt stretched a bit slowing the spin up considerably and one of the drives is all crunchy after a big landing. Definitely need some battle hardening in that area.

Next round of mods will be some improvements to the drive, a better weapon motor (not necessarily more powerful however!) a waterjetted disk and maybe an automatic belt tensioner.

Exorcist -

Really happy with how the little guy went. The metal gear servos from angus are great. not one fail all day despite them being ripped out of the robot and the wheels being hacked off a couple of times.

Problems through the day were the wires getting sucked into the belt jamming the weapon, crap wheel attachment and using the wrong length screws to hold the drives on which let them fall off lol.

Things to improve are definitely a new frame as there are a lot of oversights in this one. Id like to try fit the bigger weapon motor in and maybe make some new one piece wheel hubs with the spline cut into the hub itself. But happy enough with it!

Also looking at upgrading some of my elderly equipment. Battery charger being the main one.

The old mega power 960 is still a beast, doing up to 12 cells and 10 amps but its spastic amount of external modules and wires and plugs is utterly aggrevating. The balancer is also a piece of crap, so im looking at getting this baby for the smaller robots.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=6478

Much lower specs but its all in one unit, power supply included and it has rave reviews. At the price, why the heck not!

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:00 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Ant testing!

Had some time to muse on exorcists last two events, and the main thing is it needs more motor power. The current setup is extremely conservative i reckon given nothing runs that hot and it seems a bit down on power, especially on start ups. So i've been tinkering with both a bigger motor and some more voltage.

Yae olde results of voltage testing -

Much faster on 3s and much more start up, oompf Razz Its running off a 15c 500mah battery which is about the same in performance as the 40c 160mah one. Only takes out 120mah freeload in 2 minutes. so i think it'll just work out.

Controller seems fine, motor however gets pretty toasty but i think its just within limit. Some carefully made ducting from the bars air flow to the motor should make things all fine and dandy :3

Tommorow i have to try it with a bigger motor on 2s but for now added voltage is looking pretty good provided the BEC and drives don't mind.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 pm 
Kenvs001

Out of curiosity, how do you figure that you need MORE power. It seemed to have plenty of destructive potential to me.

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Razz Well energy is fine, it just needs more start up torque to stop it from cutting out on big hits. So i may well run it on 3 cells and put some more gearing on it so the top speed is about the same but who knows.

More power can never hurt especially if its free :B

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 pm