www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Rules, Safety, Administration

Tag Team Event Rules
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I really like this event format - just watch out for the higher attrition from having twice the number of bots in each match. Any thoughts on the length and rules for the matches?

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:28 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

TBH I really haven't thought about this too much. Would people prefer tagging in and out or would we just go 2 on 2. If we do tagging would run fights for 5min I think. If not then just 3min.

I am thinking bits of angle screwed down in the 4 corners with zones painted in the corners with steel 50 mm Steel Angle screwed down. You have to drive into this area to be able to tag out or declare you robot immobilised.

The winning team needs to have both other robots immobilised. In order to make tag team feasible I think we need to have at least 12 entries. We would also allow robots to fight in a 2 on 1 scenario if one robot is unable to enter. As I think otherwise we won't be able to last the whole day. Teams must enter with 2 robots but if you think your team can beat both other robots with just 1 then we may allow you to fight 1 on 2 voluntarily. (Otherwise "my robot isnt working" play is an issue)

Once a robot is deemed to be immobilised further attacks on this robot will be cause instant disqualification. You would also be disqualified for damaging the angle around an opponents "base" or damaging an opponent in the "base".

Facilitating this is going to be a nightmare but I think it will be fun. If it all gets too hard worst case scenario we just drop back to 1 on 1 but I would like to try it.

Steve

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:49 pm 
seanet1310

Basic idea above sounds good.
I would like to try taging over straight 2x2. Would ensure people need to build a drivable robot so they can tag in and out

quote:
Originally posted by marto:

Once a robot is deemed to be immobilised further attacks on this robot will be cause instant disqualification. You would also be disqualified for damaging the angle around an opponents "base" or damaging an opponent in the "base".

would accidents still be disqualification. An example is two big spinners hit in the middle of the arena. They go flying a couple of meters (we have all seen this ) and a still spinning bar hits the angles or a disabled robot.
The robot committing the offence was in no way controllable during the hit. These kind of hits would not be full power but potentially damaging.

One advantage of the 2x2 is it allows new strategies amongst a team. An example is a grabbing robot and a high ke spinner could team up to do massive damage and this type of stategic fighting is not seen normally and could encourage a creative team robots over the standard 'rock paper scissors' we see in normal fights and probably to a large extent in the tag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:

IMO, Once a robot is deemed immobilised, the match should be paused and the robot removed from the arena. This will remove any complications with unfair damage or accidental hits causing disqualification.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:03 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh well everything is up to judge in this situation. I think you have to take everything relatively. Other situation is bring pushed into the opponent however if they are on your team you would expect you to shutdown the weapon. I am mainly considering where you drive into the opponent "accidentally".

As a rule I would expect to be disqualified if you damage the opponent immobilised bot. UNLESS the ref says otherwise. If you damage your own team.... I dunno.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

We coup do this but for safety reasons I would prefer not to. Don't particularly want people heading into arena with active spinner on a regular basis. It also wrecks the flow of the match. Though we could asses this on a match by match basis.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

It's the only way your going to avoid a shit tonne of fights over "You hit my immobilised robot, and now I'm down $500 due to damage!!" or "I was pushed into the immobilised robot, why should I be disqualified?!"...

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:18 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ref bot?

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:23 pm 
seanet1310

quote:
Ref bot?

To stop damage wouldn't the ref bot need a way to get the disabled bot out of the arena or push it into a corner and stand between it and open arena to take the physical hits?

Would need to build it tough and with plenty of grunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Ref bot?

Gonna build it? Gonna drive it? Gonna maintain it? Gonna ref all battles with it?
Gonna just not compete for this event? Laughing

EDIT: Plus we already pause matches and have people walking in near armed robots when they get stuck or jammed on the walls or gaps. Removing a dead robot will be no different.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:27 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I'll bring a ref bot that no one will mess with Twisted Evil

Last edited by Daniel on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:01 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What is that? You are stuck? I will chop you out with my axe.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:05 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Well keep the rulemaking to a minimum, we're all responsible enough to not plow into robots with their guts hanging out.

Except our good friend Aaron of course Laughing

Refbot could take on the form of an older robot that's not used anymore. There are plenty going round if it comes to that. Not a half bad idea though given a clapped out robot in the center of the arena is a bit of a hazard.

Perhaps pause the fight and both robots have to go back into there arena section while refbot scoops em out of the way into a safe zone. Pausing the fights to have someone go in is a bit of a cop out, Specially when you figure in the 40-50 second (whatever it is) spin down time for spinners.

And that reminds me of how we did the tag in and out thing now. We had each end of the arena marked off with a black line of tape, and you could drive in there to tag in and out. Both robots weren't allowed to go past that line IIRC. I guess it was a bit like a corner patrol zone in robot wars Smile

I do like the tag team dynamic though. 2 on 2 saves the reams of rules but i imagine if one of your teams robots dies and you have to take on 2 at the same time that could be quite damaging worst case.

The crowd could really get into a tag team style event as well Smile

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

How about a mechanical solution ?

Each corner of the arena has 2 "gates" - sections that raise/lower (out of the floor maybe if you have underfloor room) preventing the robot in that zone from exiting. To raise/lower the gate, the *other* robot has to push on the back wall of its home-zone, thus releasing its team-mate.

Perhaps a revolving-door type arrangement ? Only one exit gate is open at a time, or something like that anyway.

Theyd have to reasonably tough to withstand accidental (or otherwise) collisions, but it should unquestionably prevent both bots being in the arena at once.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Don
Experienced Roboteer

I like the idea of the ref bot,It would be kool and crowd pleasing to see a smaller version of the robotwars ref bot,with a face and head also with a fire extinguisher and it wouldnt have to come under the wieght,would it?

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:04 pm