www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team AJW's combat robots - Team AJW - Vic

Author    Thread
Andrew W

Team AJW's combat robots - Team AJW - Vic

Decided to build a robot with an active weapon.
Here is a brief run down:

Class: Featherweight
Armour: 3mm steel angled
Chassis: unsure yet.
Drive: 18V DSE drills
Weapon motor: 12V Magna fan motor running at 14.8V
Controller: Scorpion XL for drive and Pico switch controlling 150A Jaycar relay for the weapon
Weapon: Chipper blade ?
Wheels: Valen custom 95mm ? (can't remember the dia)
Batteries: Drive - 2 3cell A123 packs in series, giving 19.2V @ 2.3Ah
Weapon: unsure yet.

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:10 pm 
Andrew W

For the weapon motor battery pack I was thinking of using a LiPo from RMP.
I have got a 4 cell A123 pack that I could use, but just figured out that I won't be able to charge it - only got one charger for A123s and need it for the drive motors.

Considering using these: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/LP-PQ-3300XP-4S.html
They are 14.8V 3.3Ah rated at 82.5A (25C) cont and 165A (50C) max.
Just wondering if they were able to supply enough surge current to run the Magna fan motor if it does happen to stall.
Also is the price from RMP a reasonable price to pay for this pack ?

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:17 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

sounds good!

with a magna fan motor you wont need a seperate battery pack im dead sure of that. they couldnt draw anymore then 50 amps stalled and the peak current on a good a123 pack is at least 170 amps.

that and i think youll need more power then a flat fan motor would give on 14v anyway so i guess its a win win situation if you run it off the one a123 pack Smile

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

chipper blade you say?

Post Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:47 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just wondering if 35mm is OK for the outer diameter of DAC’s drum.

Post Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:07 pm 
Andrew W

After getting a few bits from Gary last weekend, I'm going to use DAC's old frame and scooter motors for a flame thrower. I might put my picaxe controller in and run the scooters off 26 cells Very Happy
Building a new frame for DAC and using the DSE 18V drill motors for drive and the 100W scooter for the weapon. Not sure what I'll be using for batteries, since I've got a few problems with the A123 packs (see my post in Annoying A123s page 5). I might be able to make a good 6 cell pack (21.2V) and put a larger friction wheel on the drum, so it should continue to spin at the same speed.

Post Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:30 pm 
Andrew W

Getting motivated again

After keep current limiting/overheating the Scorpion XL to drive drill motors and my sledge hammer. I've bought the XXL V2, which should be capable of driving 2 900RPM DSE drill motors.

I've got a frame which is a bit too tall for the 5" colsons. I've found a local company that cut steel to length and have a webshop with all sorts of different lengths/widths of steel, shame they don't tell you what grade it is.
http://www.steelsolutions.com.au they have 3 sites and ship for all around the Melbourne area for ~$60.
Their prices seem to be pretty good, 100mm x 6mm flat for $13.90/m. They also sell pipe, which is making me think again about a better drum robot. They have 80NB Med Blk (88.9 OD x 4) Pipe Black Medium for $21.69/m, which could make a pretty strong drum, the next size down is only 60mm OD, 3.6mm thick and it's $13/m.

Thinking of just having armour and no real internal frame. This place has 100mm flat steel ranging in thicknesses from 3mm to 10mm, was thinking of 100mm x 6mm for the back shell and 5mm for the sides and 3mm for the front. Still going to use a sledge hammer as the weapon, although 6lb are getting harder to find, not sure if I'll have enough weight spare to go to 8lb or have to drop to 4lb.

Post Mon May 07, 2012 10:31 pm 
seanet1310

Good to see you back into it and puncture will make a return (or close to it, as this is the other buildthread). Goodluck..

Are you thinking angled armour or right angle like the old punctuer ?

In my experience when the grade is not mentioned it is typically the super common mild steel, Quick email/phone call however can not hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Mon May 07, 2012 11:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger