www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Shock- UK Team

Author    Thread
teamshock

Team Shock- UK Team

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd come and introduce myself.

I'm Will and I'm a student from England and have been building robots for the best part of 7 years now. I have several ants/fleas, 5 featherweights and 1 (soon to be 2) heavyweights.

Here is a quick run through of my current robots:

Ants/ Fleas (clockwise from top left)
Inertia 3: Vertical spinner with 19g titanium disc powered by a 22mm outrunner at approx 15,000 rpm
Quake (now sold): 2WD flipper
Inertia 4: anther vertical spinner with same setup as I3 (both versions made from milled blocks of 20mm HDPE)
Tesla 2: Fleaweight 2WD flipper- won the second Fleaweight competition now awaiting a rebuild.
Inertia XS: fleaweight vertical spinner- one of the smallest vertical discs in the UK weighing in at 63g an exact copy is being built so that both can be entered as an antweight cluster.
Velocity: Fleaweight rubbish 2WD pusher built from spare parts to enter into the last AWS competition.

Inertia XS being tested http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqF9QsgTCtI&list=UUWZpWAjGcd4SNe6vgth2LlA&index=1&feature=plcp

Featherweights

Inertia XL- UK champs 3rd place 2011 & Annihilator runner up 2012

My first attempt at a featherweight spinner which turned out a bit better than expected- the upgraded version for this year runs a 2kg Hardox disc on 2, speed 900 motors with a 2.5:1 ratio on 24v. This spins the disc up to around 4500rpm which gives it more than enough power to cut through hardox (which happened 3 times at the UK Champs) and also throw other robots out of the arena. The main bulkheads are 20m HDPE and the rest is armoured with 3.2mm Hardox and 5mm HDPE.

Lambda- Built for a friend of mine for the 2012 UK Championships

2nd Featherweight spinner which ended up weighing less than 10kgs with 2.5kgs of that being the bar. All HDPE construction with a single speed 900 motor on the bar. In need of a new drive system and a bit of rework on the bar mechanism but it was a good base to work from.

Shockwave 2- Full pressure flipper

The latest in our long line of full pressure flippers with a titanium chassis and hardox scoop on the flipper. 60mm bore, 80mm stroke custom ram gives plenty of force although the design doesn't seem to make the most of it so will likely be rebuilt in the near future.

Heatwave (on right next to our old Aftershock)- UK tour champion in 2009

Another FP flipper with a 45mm bore, 60mm stroke ram- all HDPE chassis and driven by 2 drills- built during 2009 and still going strong.

Aftershock 4- 2WD Lifter

New for 2012 as a drive all day robot which won't need charging or filling with CO2. Linear actuator powered lifter which can pick up at least 100kgs (tested with our heavyweight). Mild steel construction with 2 drills for drive.

And finally our heavyweight

Maelstrom (a very old pic from 2008 I think)

Used to be St Agro from robot wars which we bought in 2008 although very little from the original machine remains (next year we plan to make a new chassis which will be the last bit). It has a unique double flipper which is Full Pressure. The design allows it to drive and flip inverted which is currently the only one of its type. The main chassis is aluminium with Hardox flippers and HDPE lids. Weighed in at 100kgs dead at the last comp. Had a fair amount of success coming 2nd and 4th in the UK champs as well as picking up 4 1st place trophies last year.

We also have our new heavyweight Soundwave under construction which should be competing by the end of the year.

Quite a long introduction I know but I aim to keep updated with our various changes and if anyone here is planning on heading to the Robogames in 2013 I hope to see you there!

Will Thomas
Team Shock

Post Tue May 08, 2012 9:39 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Hey, welcome.

It's funny how the different countries build in such varied ways to each other. The US seem to use tons of s7 steel and aluminium and we seem to use wearplate steels. Looks like alot of the UK ones are made out of plastic. Whats the reasoning behind that? (am curious Smile )

Nice robots though Smile

Post Tue May 08, 2012 9:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
teamshock

Thanks,

I think the main reason that a lot of UK teams use HDPE, Nylon etc is because it is fairly cheap and can be cut using basic woodworking tools which many people already have to hand.

I chose to use it for our featherweights a few years ago as it seems to give good protection against spinners (a few years ago 6mm HDPE would do but I think an absolute minimum of 10 is needed now). Lambda uses various layers of up to 14mm which nothing seems to get through.

The 20mm stuff i have found to be damn near indestructible- I use it on Maelstrom which has fought just about every axe and hammer with no damage. It's also used on the bulkheads for Lambda and Inertia XL as it provides the bushing surface for the weapon shafts without the need for bearings. The increased speed of Inertia's disc is starting to wear the holes down a little but a simple bushing could fix that.

The majority of heavyweights now use hardox or titanium instead of plastic but in the lower classes plastic seems to be the way forward.

Will

Post Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 pm 
Mouldy

Dont worry glen- we dont all use chopping board over here Wink

Post Wed May 09, 2012 4:19 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Ha cool robots mate...love that vertical bar spinner...such a simple design but looks like it would do some serious damage!

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed May 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
teamshock

Haven't posted here for a while so I thought I'd give a couple of updates for our team. We now have a new featherweight to replace Shockwave as that one didn't work out too well along with a couple of new ants.

First up is Earthquake- new FP flipper

couple of videos of the self righting and driving around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqmMZs3yQq0&list=UUWZpWAjGcd4SNe6vgth2LlA&index=4&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDzTK7oUuAo&feature=relmfu

And a pic

Next up are my new ants Inertia 5 and Momentum

I5 is the latest in my line of vertical spinners, gone for a single tooth disc mounted straight onto the case of the brushless with a 3D printed chassis (the disc is a prototype to check the idea before getting the titanium one cut)

Momentum is a FBS, still got the teeth to add but everything is working

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:05 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

crap that FBS ant looks neat,
whats the shell made of?

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
teamshock

Thanks, the shell is aluminium but with the teeth added the whole thing weighs 75g which is too much for the motor to spin so I may machine an HDPE version of it to replace it

Been trying the spinner with just the bar fitted and it is really effective but took a lump out of the table while testing.

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 pm