www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Robowars Sydney 2013 - 3-4th August - 107 Projects Redfern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Author    Thread
andrew

yeah im hopeing miles and jules get that thing wortking amazingly caus mannnnnn it needs it

Well one of my robots was a complete dud and the other worked reasonably until the lifter banebots stripped its gears

either weay a really awesome venue, awesome action, always amazing to see the queensland crew and very excited for future sportsman events with plenty of ideas flowing

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:29 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

So who won?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

aaron and farmboy won, good drivetrain on that thing

jaemus came secondwith das boot.

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yay! Finally won something featherweight for the first time in 11ty years Very Happy
Jaemus put up a fight and it would have easily gone the other way if his drive motors hadn't started to crap out.

Big thanks to Anguz for running a great event, you raise the bar of each event to a new level. Thanks to the sponsors who put up the cool prizes and supported the event. Thanks to all the guys and gals who put in the wrench time to build new and different robots (or revive some old ones in new ways) for the event. Thanks to the guys who didn't compete, but turned up and helped with the event (setup, packup etc etc), the contribution was appreciated.

Really enjoy the sportsman class, like the fact that most of the fights are more about driving, tactics and design, rather then who has the most cash/spares, biggest spinner or most armour Smile

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:26 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

TWO THUMBS UP for sportsmans Smile Such a fun two days. So good to see some variety of all forms and get to try out some ideas that never would have lasted one fight in the full combat class. Good times. good times indeed.

Good job aaron on the winnage, was definitely the most sorted robot drivetrain wise, and that's the most important part of a robot for sure.

My little flipper did better than i thought by firing reliably, the return well, need to work on that Laughing but having lots of faults is always kinda nice, just means it will always work better next event when you sort them out! Lots of experimentation to come in the future all ready to build a much more serious flipper robot.

Lovely seeing everyone again after a fair old time, and most of all awesome job Angus on getting it all organised and running despite the crud you were suffering from Razz Guess i'll be seeing you all in 2 months or so all ready for some serious robot bashin' Cool

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Good times, had by all!

Angus deserves special credit, as Glen mentioned he wasn't exactly in top shape and still pulled off one hell of an event, well done sir!

Aaron congrats again on the win, I fought you to my dying breath but you came out ahead, well done mate

Thanks to everyone who came, esp the Qld'ers for trekking down and providing not only the arena, but plenty of assistance in times of need, great competition, and good company.

NOW SOME PHOTOS

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152471819723797.1073741826.751923796&type=1&l=b1566a4ef1

This is my public facebook album. Anyone who hasn't yet, and wants to, is also welcome to add me and tag photos. If you don't facebook but really want to see the photos, let me know and I will post them up here.

Here's a few random ones:

http://www.youtube.com/jaemus56

^ one video up at the moment but will add the rest of the next couple days

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:12 pm 
seanet1310

sportsman Class.
Very entertaining. Nice work organisers and compeditors.
Congrats Aaron. There were a few reliable bots who could' have won and driving was so important.
Hope everyone is now pUmped for nationals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hey all, will do a detailed post as soon as I can see straight, but for now!

Annnd back to bed. Rolling Eyes

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:04 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Genius event guys and thanks to Angus for organising..... and finishing up with a nice piano number.

[/URL] Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:50 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I look so.... dead ohgod Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:54 am 
Red.13

Just wanted to give you guys a hearty HIGH FIVE for all the effort you put into both your robots and to the organising of the event!

I turned up with my 3 kids in tow and they thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that they were begging to come back on the Sunday but we had other plans already. Don't know who won, but by far the most spectacular with Hunchback with his explosive CO2 flipper. Fantastic! Smile

Also a thank you to all the roboteers for welcoming me into the pits area and talking about their machines, and great to finally meet up with Steve (Marto).

Very exciting stuff and I do look forward to participating with my own design, probably in the beetle or ant weight class, initially. I think I'll make it an RC at first and then see if AR is at all possible. Smile

Again, great stuff and thanks for the big effort to make it happen.

See you again, soon.

Mark

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:34 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Guys, so after a day recovering in bed I think I can manage a write up on the event!

Congrats again Aaron for a well deserved win! Farmboy's drives really made the difference in keeping the aggression and control up throughout the competition, while everyone else succumbed to drill motor explosions... Enjoy the printer! That burshless lifter also works really well and is well speedy.

I was sick as a dog.

Lost my voice the morning of the event which meant I handed a radio interview last minute to Stevo (sorry ;.Wink and my announcing had me sounding like a tween... but got through it. Quite possibly the worst time in the entire year for me to get sick.

Everyone helped and it wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Seriously, I cannot thank you guys enough for all the assistance. Steve and Aaron for driving the arena down and Steve for basically running the event at times when I was floundering. That and running 3 robots is fairly spectacular. Everyone helped out with the arena assembling, checking up on robot readiness and helping to get machines out on the marshalling table.

We smashed through the rounds.

It must have been either my awesome organisational skills (unlikely) or the fact that sportsmans could be run and repaired faster than conventional featherweights. The crowd really loved all the different designs and even just a simple lifter like wedgebot got huge cheers as it stacked warning against the wall, breaking its claw in the process. In the end we actually manually added a 7th round in and the move to go with a Rugby League finals structure was really successful in my opinion. With a 14 robot pool and 8 final spots you really want to have some way to reward robots that have been doing really well.

Selling food was a somewhat failed idea (sort of).

The actual selling of the food didn't really happen as we were all too busy running robots and I was doing other things most of the time – but actually having snacks and drink on hand was really good for the builders and crowd... we just had far too much. We did make a tidy profit off it though despite having lots left over, I'll slowly get fat off the left over cokes and Steve can enjoy his 100 packets of mini chips.

Drill motors suck.

WTF is going on with them... The drives in Forked Off were fine all day, they were the older style K mart drills (greyish cases). The new K mart drills seem to be totally rubbish with Pokey Dokey losing one pretty well every single fight. I have NEVER seen flames shooting out of drill motors before. Maybe they're using copper flaps in drill motors now, has anyone looked? >_> It was clear that drive power had a huge amount to play on the success of the robot in a sportsman style comp.

107 Projects is a pretty damn cool venue.

Yes... it's Redfern... but to be honest, the venue was very well suited to a combat robot event and we did have a maxed out crowd for the second half of Sunday. Organisation could use some improvement – setting up on the Saturday morning wasn't as painful as predicted but was very inconvenient. In future I'll be needing a written agreement to avoid these unexpected changes.

I really asked far too much of Steve and Aaron this time around, and wouldn't be comfortable with them driving the arena down again. There is talk of a trailer based arena but only time will tell. For now, I'm going to get these rewards out and look forwards to nats. >:3

We made about $500 in donations and drink sales. Smile Gotta consolidate it all then see to some cash getting sent to QRSC.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:54 pm 
SamJamCam

Hi Everyone,

Just echoing the sentiment showed above by many.
The event was wildly entertaining for all, I don't think anyone walked away without being impressed by what was displayed on both days. Hunchback in particular shocked many a small child and parent. Razz

From Pokey Dokey (or P-Dokes to my gf) and Sinister Blade in the first match to Das Boot v the champ Farmboy on Sun it was awesome.

Thanks.

Angus I hope you enjoyed your well earned coma!

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:46 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

LOST AND FOUND:

Also need to mention we found a full tap and die set - FROST brand. And a cordless drill in a black case.

SHIRTS:

Did the shirt tally, we indeed have spares!
1 x S
2 x M
2 x L
2 x 2XL
1 x Female L

PM me if you want em and we'll work something out. Gotta transfer a lot of cash later on in the week... Laughing

EDIT: Ahaha thanks Sam, was great to meet you ! Smile Reckon you'll pull something together for Nats?

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 pm 
Cpnwolfe

I would love to get a M shirt off you mate paypal ok?

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:53 pm