www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

mega squirt

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

mega squirt

I know there used to be a thread on this but cant find it.

I need an ecu for my v8 soarer. uzz31 or 1uzfe engine. auto trans.

My one got lost in the mail and cant find one local. had no car for months now.

I dont know much about these ecu's but im hoping to just buy one plug n play or at least not too much stuffing around.

Anyone know what kits or parts i need to get?

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

MegaSquirt is the opposite spectrum of Plug n Play unfortunately, even the top level MS3PRO is still a custom wire up job and some research into correct settings, and even that doesn't handle the auto trans. The MegaSquirt is a deep rabbit hole and requires a hardcore learning curve before you'll get any where, my first MS2 install took 6 weeks to get running, and it was largely attributed to me thinking I knew how a motor worked and had an understanding of how all the parts operated (I was wrong).

If you want to make it easy on yourself, buy another 1UZFE ECU off ebay or from a reliable source.

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:23 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Hey mate

Try Soarercentral forums, or even Supraforums.com.au. Or Toymods.

Otherwise i'd suggest an Adaptronic, cheap, proven, aussie made

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:43 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Like What Aaron said. - Megasquirts are the hardcore-hackers linux-like-EFI Computer.

Super customisable, amazing features, excellent price, but definitely NOT plug'n'play.

The Wiring can be dealt with IF there is a plug'n'play kit to suit your vehicle, and the Tuning can be simplified a lot with a good aftermarket program like Tuner Studio, but if you dont know an injector duty cycle from a volumetric efficiency table, and arent interested in some serious brain cramming, then look elsewhere..

I think theyre brilliant and wouldnt use anything else personally, but Ive been tinkering with Engines and EFI systems for 20 years with Come Racing, and think the open-source electronics and code are serious benefits...

But if you dont have the fundamentals down pat, you'll likely find a lot of confusion to wade through before you can make it work for you.

If the goal is to get it running with minimum brain pain and effort, and learning a lot more about EFI wouldnt be beneficial to you, then go for a simpler, turn-key package, even if it costs a fair bit more, unless you have lots more time on your hands than money.

Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger