Site Admin

Posting Rules....Newbies Please Read

Every forum newbie needs to view this flash video before posting. Cool

Last edited by Knightrous on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:53 pm 
cyberman

starter up steve has the lama song to Laughing

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I hope you actually took notice of that flash video... Rolling Eyes

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:46 am 
cyberman

i did

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cognisant

Oh no I can't see it on this device Sad

I'm guessing it's all the basic stuff, e.g. Don't be a troll, try not to create superfluous threads, don't post NSFW material, etc.

But is there anything else culture-wise I should know?

I've noticed while lurking that there's many how-to-do and how-it's-going threads but little in the way of discussing design theory, combat tactics, artificial intelligence, and other speculative stuff, is that in-team talk only or have I just not been looking in the right places?

Post Mon May 21, 2012 2:51 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Cognisant:

I've noticed while lurking that there's many how-to-do and how-it's-going threads but little in the way of discussing design theory, combat tactics, artificial intelligence, and other speculative stuff, is that in-team talk only or have I just not been looking in the right places?

Not much is generally discussed on design theory due to the fact everyone has their own theories behind what they build, but also because theory generally goes out the window when it comes to combat. Combat tactics are similar, but I guess most people rather just implement their theories in combat rather then talk about all the theories on the forum.

AI is an interesting one, and there is very little talk of it here because most people currently in the community are not from an AI background. AI is a pretty complex thing and it's extremely hard to apply to small scale combat robots (heh, the millitary struggle with their billion $ budgets). However, if your keen on this, check out the Towards Autonomous Combat thread http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1520

Post Mon May 21, 2012 9:00 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Epic 6 year dredge Smile

I think with combat tactics it's learned from doing, not discussing. But those sorts of conversations are definately had in-person at the events, usually following a fight!

Post Tue May 22, 2012 4:46 pm 
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by Knightrous:
quote:
Originally posted by Cognisant:

Not much is generally discussed on design theory due to the fact everyone has their own theories behind what they build, but also because theory generally goes out the window when it comes to combat. Combat tactics are similar, but I guess most people rather just implement their theories in combat rather then talk about all the theories on the forum.

AI is an interesting one, and there is very little talk of it here because most people currently in the community are not from an AI background. AI is a pretty complex thing and it's extremely hard to apply to small scale combat robots (heh, the millitary struggle with their billion $ budgets). However, if your keen on this, check out the Towards Autonomous Combat thread http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1520

There are a couple of people with an interest in Autonomous bots but it is just so hard to pull off no one has made a true attempt. A couple are thinking about ones for the upcomming nationals including myself. I have yet to come across good enough tough sensors and the lighting in an a featherweight and size of the arena it will be hard to pull off off bot sensing and control such as image processing well and sensors will have trouble on bot. For ant ATM I am thinking image processing to control robot. load cell to detect when to fire weapon.

As for tactic. There has been talk in build threads but each bot drives different and has performance characteristics so will have a different tactic. As a general rule, face weapon to enemy while avoiding weapon or taking it on extra tough section (eg IG bashplate). you are also at the end of the day competing.

(Should a mod move this to a better thread or delete the extra comments)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue May 22, 2012 6:36 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Oh No the starter up steve link is broken. Way back machine?

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Youtube to the rescue

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

would you be allowed to place sensors around the arena that wirelessly tell the robot where to go…or is that cheating?

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:06 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I think at this stage you can do anything you want provided you don't ask your opponent to do anything and don't mess up the radio spectrum.

AI bots being too good is a problem we'd like to have

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number