www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Workshop construction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

No expansion gaps needed in that sort of construction. The concrete will stay more or less where you put it but will seep thru larger gaps if you are compacting it down. Formwork needs a surprising amount of support from the back, you probably need to bolt it to the slab on the inside

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:52 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

A good tip is to speak to your council building inspectors even if you don't intend to get it approved.

Have you considered running roofing battens horizontally across the existing posts and cladding with vertical iron sheeting? It would be very quick and easy.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

In Sydney that is the absolute LAST thing you want to do unless you want to spend more money! Once you talk to the planning department, you are on their radar and even if you don't go thru the approval process you might get a surprise visit. Check out the council web site first and only talk to them over the phone at first

The project is non-structural but as there is a foundation, they might ask for a soil report and a structural engineer's design, which can easily set you back $1K. Then there are the drawings and other planning documents you have to submit (with another fee) and then you wait. It might not take long to approve under the new fast-track scheme, but if the planning dept. doesn't like something, they can reject it and you start over again.

I would look on the council web site for exempt or non-complying building - as you have roller doors and the floor space is fairly small, you might be able to skip approval entirely.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:29 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I wouldn't advise giving your name and street address, but I have found my local building inspectors helpful. Your results may vary.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:03 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That area is likely to be classified as a car port which are usually exempt from approval. You could search the local council web site or call to ask about adding 2nd wall.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:12 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Generally adding a wall like that makes it a garage that needs approval.
I'd suggest just digging a trench and bagging concrete into it, don't bother with form work just bring it up level with the ground. I would put a waterproofing membrane under it however, then I'd put a row of cinderblocks or even builders bricks on top of that. Then wrap the damp course up and over that and sit the timber atop that and perhaps an ant barrier.
$6 a 40kg bag from the concrete place off batt st (or at least it was).
65c a brick from bunnings for builders bricks. $2.70 for a 390x190x140mm cinderblock.

No need to worry about formwork and it exploding then ;->

Also before putting the timber on I'd cover the whole thing including the existing floor with a crystalline waterproofing compound.

It won't actually be waterproof then, but barring the water level outside being higher than your internal floor for a while it should be good enough. Most importantly it'll keep "damp" out and with it all the lovely toxic mould species ;->

If you do drill into the side of the current slab I'd also paint it with bondcrete just before pouring, it wont do a whole bunch but hey every little bit helps right?
Are there any expansion joints in your existing slab? If there is you will want to match those.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sorta workshop related Razz
Just saw this cool folding mobile work station (maker station...) that I reckon would be really nifty to have at robot events.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Maker-Station-The-Portable-Reconfigurable-Work-Sta/

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:39 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

You don't need council approval for a 3m x 3m garden shed…..We poured our own concrete tiles for the base to….probably get a shed for $500 no sweat. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:36 am