www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Ant receiver

Author    Thread
MichaelDobos

Ant receiver

Hi guys

I'm starting to get my ant up and going for Sydney this year. I'm a metel worker by trade but the electronics side of things to me is hopeless.

So I'm asking today about my biggest problem ... The receiver. So do you just connect your 2 drive motors directly to the receiver ? Is there anything in between like a speed controller ?

At the moment im just useing a 2.4ghz receiver out of my rc car to do tests however its to big and heavy to use permenently . Also I have 2 micro hacked servos now only having neg and pos and just tried to hook them up in my receiver. Soon as I plug the connector in to the receiver it just by passes the radio signal and runs the motor till I disconnect ?

Mabey I need a better receiver and handset ? Does anyone have a set for sale ?

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:51 am 
shakesc

If you are using hacked servo's (i.e. hacked so they rotate 360 degrees) then you can connect direct to the receiver
Otherwise you do need a speed controller to drive motors (such as pololu motors)
You could try botbitz for speed controllers. Alternatives such as sabertooth

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:56 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Here is a guide on hacking servos. If you can do this, it is a cheap way to start. You are far better off with ESCs and gear motors with screws . (2 of each)

Can you remove your Rx case to make it smaller?[/url]

What sort of weapon will your robot have?

Edit; you could also just get a kit . That is how I started. The components can be moved into your next creation.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 am 
MichaelDobos

My weapon is a jack hammer type setup . It works on the same principles as a piston in a motor .

Hmm it's just that when I connect my two wires directly into the receiver it just starts the motor manuly without even useing the handset .

Yeah , I would really like to just get a kit , and like you said I can put the parts into my next build. If I at least have something for this year then I can learn from you guys on the days in Sydney

Otherwise do you know anyone with a 2.4ghz handset and micro receiver for sale ?

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:29 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelDobos:
Hmm it's just that when I connect my two wires directly into the receiver it just starts the motor manuly without even useing the handset .

*snip*

Otherwise do you know anyone with a 2.4ghz handset and micro receiver for sale ?

Sounds like you've removed the board out of the servo which is what makes the Servo work with the RX. Now your just powering it directly of the RX's power and it's just on all the time.

Go to www.hobbyking.com.

Buy one of these radios - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28494__OrangeRx_T_SIX_2_4GHz_DSM2_6CH_Programmable_Transmitter_w_10_Model_Memory_Mode_2_.html

And one of these Recievers - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__35172__OrangeRx_R400_Spektrum_JR_DSM2_Compatible_4Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver.html

This will set you up for your robot combat career Smile

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:50 pm 
MichaelDobos

Hi guys

I've learnt a littel more about electronics this year lol.
I've now got a 2.4ghz spektrem micro receiver .

I just hacked a servo by bypassing the potentiometer
And useing risitors but the only problem is there's not enough
Trim on my handset to keep it at neutral . It's also shutters.

Any thoughts on how to overcome this problem ?

Post Sat May 31, 2014 8:10 pm