www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

new builder

Author    Thread
sach

new builder

Hey guys I’m looking at making a featherweight bot and competing this year and was hoping you could answer some of my questions as well as give me some pointers.

I’m 15 from Perth and don’t have any qualifications other then that I can definitely see myself doing robotics or mechanical engineering when I leave school. I’m a hobbyist woodworker with a tiny workshop packed with woodworking tools as well as basic tools, some of which include;
Table saw, belt/disc sander, drill press, scroll saw, miter saw, drills, sanders, jig saw.

First, I was wondering if I would even be allowed to compete; is their any age restrictions?, ill be 16 come the competition in October.

I know the basics of rc but do you know any good websites or material that could help educate me?

Where would I be able to buy basic parts like a battery and radio for a reasonable price? Which ones would you recommend? I’m jobless so money is something for me to think about but I would prefer to spend that extra $20 for something that’s more reliable or just better.

I reckon I could build a bot for under $250. What do you think?

I noticed there were no competitors from WA is there a reason behind this?

There’s heaps of content on the Robowars wiki on getting started, but is following those tips and basic instructions going to result in me having a terrible and cheap robot that wont be any good?

Any other tips and tricks?

Thanks so much for the help I really appreciate it, by the way the names Sachio.

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:23 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Sachio, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have plenty of skills and far more tools than the average new builder. I got in to robots from woodworking and many skills transfer over. To answer some of your questions:

There are no age restrictions - 15 - 16 is just fine. We are more concerned with how smart you are about safety than your age.

For R/C knowledge, just trawl through our build threads and the UK bot forum: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/forum.php and of course, just post more questions here.

The best place to get electronics is Hobbyking: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp and Botbitz: http://botbitz.com.au/

$250 would get you a fairly lux robot.

Angus is currently in Perth but due to the distance, he hasn't competed recently.

The info in the Wiki is solid but a bit out of date. If you see something that interests you just post a question in the forum. I'd decide on a team name and start your own build thread to post questions in. There are also some good Youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVEp15yu3q_YT3908XlFhdw

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:49 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Sachio, Welcome to the forum!

As Nick mentioned I'm in WA now - moved over from Sydney last year. I brought some of my robot stuff but had to sell my whole workshop Sad There's a few other guys here in Perth who are keen to start building so we might get something going locally.

Would be more than happy to help you build something for the October event, I'm hoping to go myself. I got involved in robowars when I was 15 myself so certainly no worries about the age!

$250 is plenty for a starter bot for sure, you can get most of what you need from bunnings, kmart and hobbyking for the radio and batteries.

Where are you based in WA? I'm in Shelley at the moment and more than happy to come say hi to yourself and your parents, main thing I noticed when getting involved is my parents were terrified I'd hurt myself haha, once they met the rest of the robot guys they chilled out.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:30 pm 
sach

Sorry bout the delay I'm just down south for the Anzac weekend. Thanks so much for the help! I'm in mount Claremont and would love to meet but it will have to be in a couple weeks because I've got school and am coming back down south on the weekend. I'll go ahead and get a team name and start researching, thanks again!

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:55 pm