www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Team Demon Robots - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Having felt the bore with my own hands, I don't think it even needs a hone.

Post Tue May 19, 2015 9:51 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Ahoy robo peoples, More progress.

Drilled the mounting holes for the ram. 10x m6 ought to hold it. God help us all if not. Of course, it would be about 10mm too tall to fit in my mill. Gah. Had to start a collection of chopped down end mills and drill bits just for it.

Drilled the mounting holes in the weapon frame. There's 3 axle holes so i can experiment with leverage ratios. Each one bolts down with 4x m6.

Buffer mounted and everything else in place.

Was uhming and aahing for a few days working out the main tank mount. There isn't much space to get in and unscrew it, but turns out the final result was really simple. 8mm hardened rod welded to the side with some tube slipped over it, then a huge clamp around the bottle keeps it there.

Can also see the 35mm hole i had to bore in the bottom for the valve to poke through. That came out particularly nice all things considered. Really should have put that in before welding it together!

Back to das ram. Finished all the holes tonight and it fits together nicely indeed. The piston ring presses on against a big shoulder on the rod itself, then a circlip should hopefully prevent it from launching out.

Pretty damn good for a 70mm bore ram i reckon. The counterbored holes in the top are for the m3 bolts + nuts that keep the top plastic bushing in place. I didn't like the press fit option.

Ended up clocking the ram body and rod back up so i could turn the piston ring + top bushing square. Seems to operate very smooth even without lubrication. Happy days!

Side view of the arm mockup. Going to have two 25x25x1.6 tubes with a 5mm steel plate on the front. Not sure what to use as a "pusher plate" above the ram. Will either machine up a big round of aluminium that bolts on or weld a section of large diameter pipe in.

Next up, working out how to drill the paintball bottle out to 1/2 BSP and getting the fittings + making the gas manifold. Best make a start on the flipping arm too!

Also best think of a nice way to do the bungees and actually work out how to do the hdpe armour. Oh lawd not enough time!

Post Thu May 21, 2015 11:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Eventorizon-GB

Damn... that looks so good! Compact and powerful!

Post Thu May 21, 2015 11:49 pm 
maddox

I recognize that kind of layout.

Post Thu May 21, 2015 11:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

love it..so cute Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri May 22, 2015 12:55 am 
RogueTwoRobots

Looking good! It's actually got a bit of a Chaos 1 vibe about it in that last picture, which means its next incarnation will go on to be a double champion with numerous OOTAs Wink

With great power, comes great reliability

Post Fri May 22, 2015 2:20 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Good stuff, keen to see some ceiling hits Smile

Post Sun May 24, 2015 11:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

is it only 2 days till the event? [internal screaming]

Quick picture spam before bed Razz

Decided instead of going full hunchback and doing HDPE everywhere, that the front would be a big crumple zone of steel.

Forgive the frightening welds! I only have 3.2mm filler at home which is much too large Razz but you can see the gap between the body and the armour. Considering there wont be any grinding and stuff from what i can tell at the event leaving lots of wiggle room for damage seems a good idea.

Managed to get that all out of one cutting wheel too. Efficient!

Got the gas works piped up. Made my own 7075 manifold, complete with nut machined into the end to tighten it up Smile

Also made an arduino based flipper controller to pulse the valve. Steve wrote the code and it seems to work sweet. I'll be using 5x 2s packs to drive the solenoid at 36v.

Gave it all a test and seemed to work. but it leaks gas everywhere so i will resort to some old school measures. Thanks to mario and phil for the tips Smile

Aside from that i think the UHMW piston has broken as well as the ram wont return the last 5mm. Perhaps its swelled out near the inlet port or some such. I made a metal one anyway as a backup with some SKF o rings. Will install that tommorow.

nom nom

Picked up the "armour" from plastix who once again gave me some fantastic service and great pricing imho. Happy as with that. It's 6mm HDPE this time. Should be a bit stronger than the 4.5mm of the last version.

Note how i know what size to order so it just fits in my bike bag. What a life!

Busted this out tonight - what a struggle! fatigue is really kicking in now lol. Looking foward to a big sleep in sunday Smile

So tommorow i will install the new piston in the ram, install the electronics and drives, then friday seal up the pneumatics and add any touch ups with left over weight if there is such a thing!

Hope it works Smile

Post Thu May 28, 2015 2:26 am 
RedKnight

looking great mate were do you get the hdpe from

Post Thu May 28, 2015 12:58 pm 
RedKnight

never mind just seen it sorry

Post Thu May 28, 2015 12:59 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Know that fatigue feeling. Nice work getting it done man Smile

Post Fri May 29, 2015 10:22 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Shocked so much fatigue, going to be asleep on my feet tommorow.

Ermergerd, i made one under the weight limit! Nearly 400g under. Damn, wish i put more armour and a wheely bar under the flipper now. Ah well.

And done. It all seems to work. Still zippy with 4s on the 18v drive motors oddly enough. Even has a locking bar for the flipper and everything. Professional!

With the pneumatics i absolutely had enough with the thing leaking, so i've dumped an entire tube of 10 minute epoxy into the fittings to seal it off. We will see if it works tommorow. If not i will cry in a heap Very Happy

Post Sat May 30, 2015 12:52 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

So, three years on, are you still happy with the design of your self righter and the clutch set up? What is the ratio?

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
... Gearbox! complete and working....

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:39 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

So long ago i can hardly remember! But from what i recall it worked but the motor fell off immediately due to not having a motor support plus the spring wasn't a high enough rate, so it was way too sensitive to adjustment.

I redid the spring and added the motor support which should be documented here then yep it worked fine Smile i will probably put it back on with a small brushless motor now demons a demo robot.

Ratio is 3 standard drill gear stages, those are 6:1 so 216:1.

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:39 am