www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

New Vic Builder

Author    Thread
Satran1000

New Vic Builder

Hey guys, so I've had a read of some of the threads and such, I have some experience in robotics, though I'm rather young. Wondering where local competitions are so I could check them out before I get into things, and everything I've read considered, I'd probably want to build FeatherWeights ^_^ again because I don't think I'll be building yet, I don't really have a budget, but thanks a lot for any direction and help, and I hope get involved in the community Smile

Post Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:29 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Welcome Smile

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:04 pm 
seanet1310

Welcome,

Vic currently does not have any active competitions however there was a meeting on the weekend involving new and old people. We will see what comes out of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
0xFFFF

Welcome Satran1000 Smile

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:20 pm 
Cyber

hi Satran1000 Smile

Definitely get stuck into building a bot! Possibly have a dig through the existing build threads to get some ideas. Keep an eye on the forum for an upcoming post about an event

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:25 am 
Satran1000

I have some idea of a robot I way want to build Razz I think I'll build it anyways and wait for the competition to come to the state. Can't wait for things to heat up here ^_^ is there a discussion here for Victorian-based builders? XD thanks again for replies :3

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:40 pm 
Cyber

See this post from George (Nexus):

quote:
Caught up with some of you on the weekend and suggested a possible gathering soon at my place. Thinking early next month maybe. Have a slab of concrete in the backyard waiting for a shed so an area for some driving is possible

also this thread is worth a read: http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2110

To sum up - we are organising some 'back yard' events in the coming months. Once we know we can field a respectable number of bots, SideTracked will host us with a proper arena for public events. I've put my hand up to run them but am also brand new to the scene so I'll need some time before I can say I'm ready to hit the go button on a public event

In the meantime I'm working with the CCHS (hackmelbourne.org) to build a club mascot and a bot of my own Smile a couple of other groups (Swinburne Tinkerer's Club for example) have expressed interest in getting their members involved - hopefully it boosts the numbers significantly

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:46 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Cyber:
Once we know we can field a respectable number of bots, SideTracked willXXX might host us with a proper arena for public events.

Just thought Id better correct that so people dont get the wrong idea. I talked with Barry, and he said he would *consider it, but hes also equally considering selling the arena to either one or a consortium of interested parties.

Someone mentioned the idea of several groups of builders buying 1 or more of the wall-panels themselves for use as single-sides in their own sheds/yards, with the possibilty of them coming together to assemble a full arena for a larger event. Sounds like a good idea to me, since it enables several groups to start having smaller non-public events themselves at a low cost for a safe wall while they develop their machines.

So, Events at SideTracked arent out of the question, but arent very likely at the moment.. maybe once they see how the field grows again, If someone hasnt bought the arena by then, Ill have a niggle in his ear and see if something could be done.

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger