V belt driven saw
10” saw
Stainless steel drum
Colson wheel friction drum drive
Welded steel tube frame
Aluminium, Polycarb, Stainless steel armor
DX6 spectrum radio
Spectrum BR6000 Bot receiver

What started out as a simple freshen up of old Minimower turned into a last minute total new robot to go to the 2015 Ipswich Nationals

Bit of back history, Minimower build thread
http://robowars.org/teams/rotwang/minimower/minimower.html

Some robots go on fighting until they're scrap metal, but Minimower earnt a bit of fame in his part in regurgitator video clip so really he should be retired alongside the likes of cake taker, powderpuff and kill bot while still recognizable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTQ2Y5oC3q8

Original minimower was built to the old 12kg weight limit and ran on lead acid batteries

So obviously there was more we could do with lithium batteries and a 13.6 weight limit.

Looking back at minimower there's virtually no armor and we didnt expect to need much armor in this sportsman class.

Either way the wedge will be deleted for sportsman. So with the weight to spare, another active weapon can be packaged in there.

24th September 2015

Pile of parts

Matthews BMX bike pegs, just some of the natural resources used. Dad can almost build a robot from his work bench by grabbing from the massive piles of clutter.

Pile of parts a little more

First weigh in just a very tube frame

25th September 2015

Drums on. Stainless steel pipe with plastic end caps and tube inner axel, very 'Minimower'. now to work out where to hinge the drill motor to friction drive the drum.

Drum motor mounted now wheels lined up and set in place with temporary threaded rod to get it all straight. Using standardiesd Rotwang height blocks speeds up this process.

We’re safeway the fresh food people… Parts all weighed to give rough idea and we will have a couple of kg for armor.

Wheels on so drive motor can be set in place and now contemplating saw

26th September 2015

Another weigh in just as a drum bot would make a good drum bot just as it is.

Weapon motor mounted decided all access will happen from the bottom so captive nuts are added for future service.

Working back from the mounted weapon saw is attached with a bit of thought into deflecting the saw when it bends, some warning before cutting our own belt.

27th September 2015

Flipped it up side down realized it’s like a 3rd weapon or at least offers a whole extra attack strategy being much higher than the under cutter.

We wonder which side people will consider “the front”

Cut top armor to size. Aluminium is not something we use in the main featherweight competition but seems ideal here.

Looking at what to use for armor. Theres some shiny Aluminium checker plate we wouldnt use on a feather anymore but can support itself for top armor in this class. Some verious bits of stainless there. Decide to use the aluminium on the top (550gram) with pop rivets and weld some stainless on the side to give some strength and screw clear polycarb (450gram) on the bottom. That should cover us for most scenarios and is within the weight budget.

Weighs about 2.8 here before welding and a few little tabs to hold the armor.

Welding all the joins properly now with the mig

28th September 2015

All welded now weighing 3kg and decide on stainless for sides and polycarb for bottom tabs for polycarb to screw to are attached with captive nuts that is frame complete.

Found a place to hang frame to spray some silver gal undercoat

few coats of golden yellow gloss, something that will stand out well on camera.Now hang out to dry for tomorrow and armor will be welded to the sides.

29th September 2015

Stainless welded on the side

touching up the paint

shell complete!

30th September 2015

the red wheels arrived for the drum and got machined up

top view. riveted the top armor on, should be good and sturdy, they hold planes together well enough.

grinder didnt like cutting the tool steel. divided the drum into thirds and welded 9 teeth on, nice and sharp.

looking at electronics now, 'series A' IBC with Minimower scratched into the heatsink. Just borrowing it minimower.

1st October 2015

installed the 'on' light, somewhere its least likely get a direct hit with a hammer or saw.

found the packaging for the electronics isnt going to be quite so easy, thought it was roomier. trying a couple of combinations. ibc or scorpion and different battery packaging.

ibc is heavier and bulker but it lets the drives run at full power where the scorpion will limit it a little. thinking it could be set up to run both with the same connections so we have a backup.

2nd October 2015

Took a few trys to get this picture with the weight, kept forgetting to throw something in the basket haha. Weighed in at 13 530g and that's without the on switch thrown in and not counting wire and a few small things. so far nothing has been modified for weight. Thinking a bit can be taken off the length of the bolt/shaft on the saw weapon aswell as remaking the crush tube and spacer in aluminium. Also could go with the scorpion over the ibc.

Tested the drums speed with the tachometer. as its 100 rpm over we have to consider some options. limiting the voltage, limiting the radio, using a smaller wheel for the drum friction drive, or changing the motor.

3rd October 2015

Wiring and smaller colson driving the drum saved some weight and helped bring the speed down

Weight saving, remade these saw mounting parts in aluminium

Refreshing my memory on receiver options, easy to eliminate a couple the 4 channel ones, need 5 channels for saw, drum, flip, drives and flip function for drives. Either the hobbyking Turborix or Spectrum DX6. Turborix is cheap and has cheap small receivers and needs a software package to program it. The old DX6 is conveniently digital onboard interface but has receivers that aren’t available anymore.

Programing the controller. Playing around with the dual rate function and exponential. Not sure how rusty my driving is so I can maybe slow it down or adjust steering controls exponential to up the sensitivity for box rushing.

Final wiring, Velcro keeps it all in place and adds a bit of shock dampening

Trying various battery cell configurations trying to get the best packaging.

Using something like this, one of benders custom aluminium hardcase to use 2x3 cell lithium polymer.

Final weight! Thought we should put a couple of bump stops on the sides to stop getting stood up by lifters and flippers. Thats the yellow thing balancing ontop there.

Basically complete now, just the bump stops for the sides and a few spares. Still got wiring to do on Minimower and Bender and some mods to Skeletor and tools to prepare and spare parts and getting the car ready for the drive up.

Last edited by Rob Team Rotwang on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:57 pm; edited 17 times in total

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:18 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

reserve

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:18 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

looks awesome..love the improvisation..its like a sculptural piece. Cool

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:37 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Thanks Smile i think it really is similar to sculpting. I did stand back and looked at it for quite a while after it was all together. built for battle but also has its style from the unique bits of junk that dad can pick up and visualize being put together in an elegant way to form a robot.

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:12 am 
Cpnwolfe

i love it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:31 am 
0xFFFF

Nice work! Thanks for the pics.

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:24 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I assume they are both going to spin at < 400rpm......

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:33 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

hydra was designed with sportsman rules in mind, we have planned to run a standard sized 250mm saw blade at any rpm and a drum at 400rpm, hopefully we understood that rule correctly.

quote:
KE/RPM.

Unmodified saw blades <250mm are allowed at any RPM.

As for other spinning weapons you are limited to 400RPM. At this stage there is no limits on mass or inertia however if your weapon mass is greater than 1/3 of your robot please check with me before coming entering your robot.

http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93308&highlight=rpm#93308

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:45 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ok so your going to swap the brush cutter blade?

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:16 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

during construction we mocked it up with the heavier biggest diameter blade that its ever going to have put on it which is a 10" blade. we assumed 250 was a rounded off description of the standard american 10".

is the issue the blades 10" or that its a brush cutter blade not a saw blade

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:40 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well the idea is not to build spinners. So a bit of both...

I said that as an arbitrary guideline to try and reduce the ambiguity with allowing saw blades. Disregarding the 250mm and saw blade part sorta doesn't help with that.

I am trying to stop the descent down this image. http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120314/Brush_Cutter_Blade_Grass_Trimmer_Parts.jpg

"But he used a brush cutter blade" argument. And then you get to the end and you just go well I am just going to make a 250mm bar spinner. But 255mm was ok, I'll just make it 260mm. Oh I might just make that a bit thicker... and on it goes.

I know I am being a pain but http://www.bunnings.com.au/blade-circular-saw-irwin-235mm-20t-20-16-21-95031_p6328593

Steve

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:17 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

yeah i get its about encouraging innovative designs without the high damage in the main competition. we're being innovative having 2 active weapons!!! Very Happy

What we had our eye on using were the little gold ones here because they looked really cool plus they're light and might make good wooshy sounds when they spin Cool

Silver is 235mm and the gold ones are a little bigger but thinner and lighter by 100g

We will take the smaller ones you suggested as its your discretion, just thought id give you the full spiel given we have ordered a few of these gold ones id say its best i give you the full details in case it makes any difference.

compared to bulldozers saw and lawnmowers saw, the difference in minimowers choice is trivial Wink

Last edited by Rob Team Rotwang on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:57 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

wow thit big saw looks epic. Shocked

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:41 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

hahaha yep its a monster alright Twisted Evil

bump. made an update, 29th sep-1st oct, all the works are in now bit of wiring to do.

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Nicely developing build thread there Rob/Gary. Smile

You make it look so easy, but I suppose 10+ years of experience will do that.

As always its great to see the signature build styles of the different builders.. I think anyone who has been involved for a while could be shown a never-before seen bot and make a fair guess at who built it, just from the different techniques used by different builders.

Paint on the Chassis ? That gives it away as a Victorian builder.. Dont forget those ever-controversial style points Laughing

Post Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger