www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Windhammer - WA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Windhammer

[/URL]

Agreed.. Angle grinder for drive was a bad idea Smile Now switch to Kmart drills.

Very near completion now, having issues with overheating batteries on the weapon, I'm guessing it's drawing a ridiculous amount of amps with the weight of the hammers, should I lighten the load?

Otherwise it drives well and the weapon is super scarey spinning around 9000rpm.. :/

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:59 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

i would add another piece of metal on top of those hammers or it will bend as soon as it hits something….love it though. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:13 pm 
Windhammer

quote:
Originally posted by miles&Jules:
i would add another piece of metal on top of those hammers or it will bend as soon as it hits something….love it though. Very Happy

Good idea I'll do that now thanks Smile)

Post Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:15 pm 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

Question,is there only 1 bolt holding each of those hammers?and if so what stops them from moving when you hit somthing?

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:53 am 
Dylon

I would try to find some RHS that fits snug over the hammer handles, find some hammers that have a steel handle, remove all the plastic on them etc (though may be hard to drill through not sure never tried tbh) anyways slide the hammers into the RHS so they are as close to even either side as you can then use a few bolts either side to hold the hammers in the RHS, i would look to get some hi tensile bolts too just for the extra strength.
With the nut for the grinder just grind down 2 sides so it can slide snug down the RHS and you can use the handles of the hammers to line the nut up with the centre hole you drill into the RHS.
Its going to be very heavy so probably just use 2 standard hammers rather then the little sledgies
i apologize for my painting skills haha

Barton Robotics Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartonRobotics

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:54 am 
Windhammer

quote:
Originally posted by bastor87:
Question,is there only 1 bolt holding each of those hammers?and if so what stops them from moving when you hit somthing?

Yes mate, the idea is that the weapon is a flail type so the hammers can twist taking some of the impact and hopefully now destroying the gearbox.. In theory anyway Wink

Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:56 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Definitely test it against something that weighs about 13.6kg in a safe environment and video the results Smile

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:56 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Windhammer:
Yes mate, the idea is that the weapon is a flail type so the hammers can twist taking some of the impact and hopefully now destroying the gearbox.. In theory anyway Wink

The technical term for what you're design is Swing Hammers. Used in a type of ore crusher.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:11 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Having those large swinging hammers hammers is very inefficient. The motor and battery are killing themselves spinning up a huge weight and then quite a bit of the energy is not being used when you hit something. You could inflict just as much damage by using a lighter steel bar and it will be kinder on the batteries, plus you will have spare weight for more armour.

If you are worried about damaging the gearbox, you can build a basic safety clutch into the hub by using a spring washer and tensioning it so that the bar doesn't quite slip when the weapon spins up. Google " Belleville washer" to see more info and find a source.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:26 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Im fairly certain that some robots arent "engineered to win", but rather "engineered to fail in violent and entertaining fashion"..

Just make sure you have cameras rolling and are behind something safe when you first test it. Smile

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maddox

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
Im fairly certain that some robots arent "engineered to win", but rather "engineered to fail in violent and entertaining fashion"..

Just make sure you have cameras rolling and are behind something safe when you first test it. Smile

²

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I haven't used red wheels, but isn't there something else you are meant to do to get them not to fall off? I seem to remember people ripping the guts of the drill chuck out.

We were thinking of doing another run of our wheels (or you could grab those ones glen is selling cheap ;->) because I need to use some urethane, but we need to make about 10 pairs to be worth doing.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thomas AIC

I used red wheels, they came off in one of my fights at nationals, but it was fixed with a large washer on the outside and some loctite on the reverse threaded screw.

p.s. I would be up for some of those wheels Valen

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
seanet1310

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
I haven't used red wheels, but isn't there something else you are meant to do to get them not to fall off? I seem to remember people ripping the guts of the drill chuck out.

We were thinking of doing another run of our wheels (or you could grab those ones glen is selling cheap ;->) because I need to use some urethane, but we need to make about 10 pairs to be worth doing.

Your wheels are good but in 8 years I have managed to remove basically all the thread off my four so needed to switch to something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The Red Wheels are carefully "value engineered" to match your basic unimproved drill motor drivetrain Smile

ie. You *can put grippier wheels that attach in a more robust fashion to your stock cheap drill, but you will then most likely just break the drill motor gearbox with the increased torque from the better wheel.

The red wheels are a quick and easy way to get started and get your bot moving with minimal effort and expense.

After that, well you can fit RC Drag slicks with VHT traction compound, which of course will then break the gearboxes, so you can upgrade to a modded dewalt drivetrain, which then requires much bigger speed controllers, and batteries to feed them and so on.. Smile

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:58 am