www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

hay need help vic

Author    Thread
the link

hay need help vic

Hay im thinking about getting into robot wars so can any one give me tips and tell me if there is any fixed arenas in melboune Razz

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:26 am 
seanet1310

Hey The Link, Welcome to the forum.

Currently there are no fixed arenas set up in Melbourne.

Sidetracked entertainment centre own an arena however they have been looking to sell it last I herd.

There was some talk about hosting some fights at the hackerspace near Swinburne uni (non spinners) a few months back. It was discussed here http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2131

Victoria had quite a few bots at the last nationals event (thanks in large part to team Rotwang)

The only real weight divisions in Vic is the 13.6kg featherweight open and 13.6kg sportsmen. An ant weight or beetle could be good just to see how things work. NSW still holds beetle fights.

Regarding tips, just start building something. Post your ideas as well to get feedback.
These days the equipment is a lot cheaper.Just get some gear and get something moving. The wikka has a good post on modifying cordless drills however they are now rather costly new, some fokes have had good luck with buying from tip shops.
Hobby Remote Control Radios are also rather affordable now, Hobbyking.com has quite a selection. You want a 2.4 GHz radio.

Batteries, just for mucking around you may be able to use some that come with drills (if you go down the drill option although many tip drills are without battery or a dead battery and this is why the drill was dumped) however affordable lithium polymer batters are on hobbyking.com as well. Grab a charger while you are there.

Speed controllers, botbitz.com is the best option. I have competed a feather with drill drives on the 30Amp ESC they sell, I would go a little under voltage such as 15.6v for an 18v drill though if I was using the 30 Amp esc (advantage is drills last longer although you do lose some speed and pushing power).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the link

Thanks seanet ill make up a robot and see if i can do some trips but it will a rare thing by the way what are the age limits

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:39 pm 
evil_steve

I'm using the Hobbyking 6 channel transmitter/receiver , as a newcomer to radio control it's cheap and works well, but there's a few things to keep in mind:

1) Mode 1 vs mode 2 - mode 1 has the sprung stick (typically used for drive) on the left, and mode 2 on the right. I've played with both and prefer mode 2 (ie driving with my right thumb and operating the weapon with my left). The Australian warehouse only seems to keep mode 1 in stock, and the postage from the international warehouse is higher, but the Robowars wiki has a handy guide to swapping them over (which I'm going to do for the mode 1 one I have)

2) Make sure you get the USB cable for it so you can reprogram it, that allows you to program channel mixing so you can drive with the one stick (see the Robowars wiki again ). I also used Digital Radio as the software to reprogram it which is pretty full featured but a bit different from what's in the wiki tutorial.

3) They take 8xAA batteries, so make sure you have plenty of rechargable ones to hand.

Post Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:00 pm 
the link

Thanks i have played with rc cars so the control is no problem but what are the rules and regs for robot wars thanks again

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:31 am 
James2

If your going to use a pistol remote control (which i do) these mixers come in real handy to make it in to 'tank style steering'.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__46730__TURNIGY_V_Tail_Mixer_Ultra_small_AU_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=v-tail

Post Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:28 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

http://robogames.net/rules/combat.php

Flame throwers are often not allowed at events.

Post Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:36 am