www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Zenghiaro - Slightly Evil Robotics - SA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Nice work! I wish my bot for vivid was that far advanced.

Post Thu May 05, 2016 9:22 pm 
evil_steve

Thanks! I'm less stressed about getting it finished now I've (hopefully) got all the parts I need, but then I'm not ordering bits from America Very Happy

Post Thu May 05, 2016 10:17 pm 
evil_steve

The slow progress continues!

The second lifting arm is done, I took a few photos of the attachment method this time.

Here it is with both arms attached and the cross supports in place.

And with the weapon bar (yet to have a handle attached and be painted fluro orange) in place. I was going to cover the sharp tips with foam, but now I'm thinking tennis balls might work better.

Thought I'd better hold down the battery with something other than all the excess wiring.

Still to do:
- finish the safety bits (including a stand for the event)
- cut and attach the top and side armour
- make a final decision on where to put the removable link and wire that up. At the moment I'm thinking above one of the rear drive motors
- sort out what bits I can take as spares, and what tools I need
- work out how the hell I'm going to pack it all into a suitcase or two

Post Thu May 12, 2016 8:50 pm 
Ondray

I am impressed, jealous and scared all at the same time. Especially with the titanium.

Good work.

Post Thu May 12, 2016 10:13 pm 
evil_steve

No titanium. I wish I had titanium armour, but a) that's a touch out of my budget, and b) it's well beyound my fabricating ability or meagre collection of tools.
The lifting arms are 6061-T6 aluminium, the rest is HDPE cutting board and Bunnings-grade aluminium.

On a side note, I like the fact that on a rough conceptual level our bots are similar (twin motor lifters with drill-motor drive train bodged together by first time builders) but in design are so different. The way you're using box section is cool, and I love the idea of independently actuated lifting arms.

Post Thu May 12, 2016 10:17 pm 
Ondray

Well I'm less scared now, but yeah I did like the similarities - when I was playing with the motors on the floor I looked at your layout a couple of times so it's nice to see it realized. Even what I'm planning on doing with the arms - having the little hook at the top - is on my plans. To stop the other bot going to far up the arms right? Hopefully I'll have my arms on by the end of this weekend Smile

Though I don't know what suppliers you have in Adelaide but Bunnings cost literally 3x as much as Ullrich Aluminum here in Newcastle.

Post Fri May 13, 2016 10:01 pm 
evil_steve

But Bunnings is right theeeere! Very Happy
I kept meaning to find other places to buy aluminium (and eventually had to for the lifting arms), but there's a Bunnings (and a Stratco) dangerously close to my place.

The hooks on the top are there for 3 reasons - 1) as you said to keep other bots going up and over the arms, 2) to give a 3rd spot for a cross brace that was nearer the pivot point but wouldn't jam into the front of the bot, and 3) cos I think they make the arms look cooler. I look forward to seeing your bot fully armed - I'm particularly interested in how the sprockets and chain come together.

Post Sat May 14, 2016 11:08 pm 
evil_steve

The good news: I'm doing fine on weight! 9.4kg with (at a guesstimate) another 2kg-ish worth of hits to go on.

The bad news: my lifting mechanism is not functional.

Decided to try a lift test with a 6.9kg towbar and the motor shafts just spun in the clamping hubs I'm using. Decided to try tightening them as far as I could, and ...

... the machine screw snapped. I suspect I'm asking too much of them, but from what I've read clamping hubs are more robust than set screw hubs.

I've come up with a few options, hopefully I can make one of them work.
Plan A is to stick with the clamping hubs and source alternate 6-32 machine screws, and see if I can tighten them enough to actually lift something.
Plan B is to try to grind a flat onto the motor shafts and try using set screw hubs.
Plan C is to try to throw together some sort of alternate lifting mechanism using sprockets and chain and a different motor. I've ordered a couple of sprockets for #25 chain that use the same screw pattern as the current hubs so I should be able to just bolt them into the lifting arms. I suspect that this will need to be the long-term solution but I'm really worried though that by the time they get here I'll be cutting it too short to have it functional for Vivid.

Post Sun May 15, 2016 10:00 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Yo, robot looks great, Love 4wd types.

I think those gearboxes won't take any abuse with 6mm shafts. Even if the clamping solution is fixed (a keyless bushing like a taperlock or tran torque would be what you want for that ideally)

Have you thought of attaching a threaded rod to a drill and use that for a lifting device. It would be slower but definitely more reliable. Something like what rob posted in this thread -

http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2146&highlight=&sid=b08502d2335398a9e73afc9f76bbd4f5

Let me know if you need a hand milling or lathing up stuff, I'm not entering this year so happy to fab up any parts!

Post Sun May 15, 2016 10:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
evil_steve

Yeah, been thinking about a DIY linear actuator like that for future bots, not sure how I'd shove it on this one. I really appreciate the offer of help, but I'm not sure how well my low precision design and construction methods would enable you to fab something that'll then fit on the day.

Between this, having to work this weekend and a headcold I'm dead tired, so I'm going to sleep on the problem and take a fresh look at it tomorrow. I'll certainly take you up on your offer if I need to.

Post Sun May 15, 2016 10:37 pm 
Cpnwolfe

I am using the diy linear actuator idea when i stop being such a lazy dude i will upload some photos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Mon May 16, 2016 1:50 am 
Fryddog

Back on the topic of metal in Adelaide. Surman Metals in Green Fields, near Mawson Lakes has a good selection. I've been there a couple times now for aluminium. Far cheaper than Bunnings!

Post Mon May 16, 2016 10:06 am 
evil_steve

Yeah, I like Surman Metals, it's where I got the aluminium for my lifting arms, and I've bought stuff from them before. They don't stock aluminium tube though, you need to order it in.

Post Mon May 16, 2016 12:50 pm 
James2

There is a metal place next to paromount browns that is fairly cheap.

Post Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 pm 
evil_steve

Well, another good news/bad news day.

Good news is that I had some spare time today to build the top armour. Very Happy

The bad news is the reason for the spare time - someone drove a car through the front of my work and we don't yet know if the building is still structurally sound. Sad
Fortunately no one was hurt, although it was a very close thing. And given all the uncertainty, I may have a heap of extra spare time over the next couple of weeks, or I might be flat strap trying to work out of another building or around construction.

So, this may all mean I turn up to Vivid with a bot with a piss-weak lifting mechanism. I should recheck the Sportsman rules - they don't require an effective active weapon do they? Very Happy
I've ordered more bits for plans A, B & C for the lifter, and even come up with plans D through F (although at least one of those requires me to somehow cut an 8mm "D" hole in some of the 1/4" aluminium, and two are no longer technically lifters), but we'll see what I have time to implement. Certainly I could try plan A and B, plan C requires waiting for parts then building around them and I seriously doubt I'll have time. Plans D through F are last ditch stuff.

Post Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 pm