www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

Robot Combat fan from TAS

Author    Thread
Ash

Robot Combat fan from TAS

Hi Builders

New builder here, so an introduction, as the title suggest I’m very keen on Robot Combat. Back in 2003 I caught the Robotwars world competitions episodes and was hooked on the idea, at last a fascinating competition replacing Gladiators. Unfortunately seeing any other Robotwars was difficult to say the least; our TV broadcasts were different from Victorian television where half my childhood was spent. It wasn’t until around 2010 when a spark of nostalgia led me to youtube in search of that intriguing robotic carnage. I lurked here around that time and no offence but I thought the place was inactive with the 2003-4 winners and lack of updates etc so I thought there was no Robot Combat in Australia. Well there was that and mainly the fact that I’m a hopeless builder, I can’t even plain wood without splinters and 50 chips and undulations cut into the surface, I think robot building is something I can’t do.

Time passed and last year I thought I’ll watch old CC Battlebots again when suddenly I find it’s come back, ABC picked it up! In fact so much has happened in the last 5 years, I discovered FRA and Robogames, Robot wars returning etc and the community here is picking up well, really all over the world the sport is picking up. I just had to get involved somehow so I talked to a bunch of people/friends trying to find skilled people in metal work and electronics who’d be interested in forming a team since I can do graphics and design work. Well at first I found some real enthusiasm and we talked, discussed ideas and planed a lot. I started to learn CAD considering I’ve worked with 3d software before it wasn’t overwhelming but still complicated at an engineering level, I’m still learning stuff. The team had votes for a name and talked about all sorts of designs and eventually I got the design complete… well to the point of my limited knowledge! I’ll have to dig up my old research and do a lot more reading in general. We also started a simple test bot build before we would build a sportsman/featherweight. We were looking at competing at Vivd in Sydney and then the Nationals in Canberra this year for experience before setting sights on heavyweights and comps like Robotwars, Robogames or Battlebots, I’m on Reddit for that. I would’ve registered this account 4 months ago if things were going as planned.

However other commitments caught up with my previous team mates and they can participate no longer (even having sunk some cash into this project) and now I feel In all likelyhood that I won’t be able to build and compete this year Sad unless I learn, buy and do everything for myself. It’s a seriously bitter blow but I’d love to see the designs up and running, pursuing art means I have an urge to make the ideas a reality but I really need a team with skills and I don’t know anybody with the skills who’d like to build and compete in Robot Combat.

I may still attend the Nationals but really I wish I could participate as competitor rather than an observer but I’m not sure how long it’ll take me to afford the tools and learn new skills, this could take many many years. So a shout out if you’re in Tas I’d love to form a new team but for now I’ll share the build ideas from the old team with all of you in the build threads forum if that’s appropriate.

TL;DR

I'm an fan of robot combat with skills in Graphic Design/CAD and had a team whom was willing to build robots with me. I mocked up some designs based on lengthy discussions but due to other commitments etc they've dropped the idea. I'm still keen to compete in events and would love to develop the current designs and better ones for bigger events like Robotwars, Robogames or Battlesbots except I have little tools and little building experience. I don't think I can do this alone so I hope anyone in Tas can PM me so we can form a new team. In the meantime I'll share work with you guys/girls on the builders forum if you want to see them.

Post Sun May 29, 2016 9:14 pm 
evil_steve

Welcome! I'd love to see your designs, definitely post them. A few suggestions though:

* Don't be afraid to start building. I have more ideas that robot building skills and very few tools, but am still attempting a couple of featherweights for events this year. Starting with a simple design gets you into the box - there's plenty of time to build a wedge for nationals!

* You can always start small. If you've got a few other interested people with no time to build a big bot, do what we've done here in SA and start with antweights. You can get a few put together and a basic arena and start having regular meets. They might be small but they're still heaps of fun to build and drive, and you can start off fairly cheap. They're also a good way to hook other people on the whole robot combat thing.

* As you're handy with the CAD, you could always get parts commercially cut, it's what a lot of builders seem to do. You could always base the design on one of the other ones with CAD files out there, like Nyx.

Post Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 pm 
Ash

I like the idea of antweights. Thought there was no events happening in aus for that, learn something everyday. Not sure about starting a club for it but maybe the local RC club could warm to the idea. I'll certainly explore this option further.

I'll post some stuff about the other projects I'm just thinking on how to categorize these since it's 3 projects. 1 is the test bot, bodging recycled parts with some new gear, no plans just get whatever together and test some gear. 2nd and 3rd project (sportsman and adaption to featherweight sharing many parts) is far more complex based on the building skills of my team mates. We had the idea of casting some Aluminium parts! Since they're gone it may make these designs too difficult, I certainly don't know about casting, so I'm not sure If I should make a 2016 build progress thread or a separate threads for each project which would be easier to follow but would clutter up the forums. Any suggestions which would be the best way to go about these build reports so I don't tick people off with the wrong choice?

Post Mon May 30, 2016 10:13 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

With the build thread people usually start one for their team which covers all the projects.

As for nothing in Tasmania there really isn't ever anything anywhere unless you make it happen. The Adelaide guys are a really good example they started off with a few ants and now they have a bunch and some the most regular events. The best way to make something happen is to make something yourself.

As for where to start. I am a big fan of starting small. As you get bigger the robots get far more destructive, arena get bigger, harder to transport and store. I really like the fact that you can click 3D print and get an antweight robot, you can glue something together with hot glue or you can machine tiny intricate parts.

If you run a no spinner sort of class and have a raised platform that you can throw each other out of its far more fun than I would like to admit as an adult. A lot of the RC parts such as radio and charger are reusable for the bigger classes as well.

Anyway hope that gives you some ideas.

Steve

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:33 pm 
Ash

Thanks for the advice I'll keep it in mind. Been thinking about a 3d printer, just need to line up projects to justify the cost. Should get a decent one.

Post Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:56 pm