www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Fragmentor~Rotwang~Vic

Author    Thread
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Fragmentor~Rotwang~Vic

Fragmentor is our second attempt at a feather weight hammer bot; obviously an evolution of Killbot [Ballpein] http://robowars.org/teams/rotwang/ball%20peen/ball-peen.html

Ballpein uses 2 drill motor and gear boxes friction driving its hammer. Frag has a chain drive 250 watt geared scooter motor.
As both these bots are ones I [Gary] campaigned they tended to get a low priority compared to rob and matt’s bots and have had a few easily preventable problems in competition.
There seems to be a bit of interest stirring concerning hammer bots at the moment so I thought I would finally get around to starting a thread for our Hammer bots.
Currently I am thinking of beefing Frag up a bit and letting him play with the lightweights in Brisbane. Smile

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:18 pm 
andrew

heck yeah, thatd be soo awesome to see.

thicker armour and mayeb two more drills as extra weight etc, just fix that relay jaming on deal and all should be good with it

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:47 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Frag’s original heavyweight design had horizontal griping claws like finished up on Skeletor. With the extra weight available they are a possibility for the lightweight version.

And yes I can armour him up a bit; some 10 mm polycarb over the existing 0.6mm stainless for starters

. Drives will stay as is for the Brisbane event.
The must do upgrade is mounting the scooter motor so it doesn’t twist and de rail the chain. Smile

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:43 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Frag moved under his own power for the first time in a long time abought half an hour ago. Very Happy

He has a brand new IBC, new 18 volt Johnson’s, reinforced hammer motor mounting and reworked front sheet metal. His original 3 ch futaber has been found and reinstalled; there are even some spare parts ready. Smile

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:18 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds good Garry hope to see you on thursday what time are you ecpecting to be in brisy ?

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:53 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I think Brett said 8.00 am sharp so that is what I will be aiming for. I just had a little trouble taking Brett seriously when it comes to being places at particular times; he is not the most punctual person that I know. Smile

So yes looking forward to seeing you and everyone else there; should be good. Especially spread over 3 days of competition, time for repairs and time to relax and have a good chat. Smile

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:08 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Time is just another dimension.. Wink We just think its linear due to limited perceptions. Now if I could just convince the airlines of that, I'd be right. Cool

Admittedly its a strange attitude to have, being an electronics person working with bits where nano-seconds matter, but I suppose if you are going to communicate effectively with other entities, you have to operate at the same baud rate.

Actually, the 8am time is the time we are *supposed* to start setting up.. I dont think anyone will have a heart attack if we started at 9 or 10, as long as we get it all done before 4pm, which is what I'm concerned about. getting all the Setup done in time. dont do anything dangerous if you're running a bit late on Thursday morning.. Smile

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I will basicly get there when i can im not good at city trafic so dont realy want to be driveing in peak time either

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:58 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Frag had a good day out, the scratchy old radio was annoying [I love my Spectrum] but apart from that he worked fine, reliably self-righting and body slamming his opponents when the hammer was fired in the wrong direction which seemed to happen a lot.

I think a heavier weapon would do more damage but he is so thin skinned I don’t think this version is competitive in a real event even with M1’s but he is good for fillers and demoes. Smile

Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:06 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Fragmentors is entered as a sportsman at the nationals, obsolete as a regular featherweight I think with the popularity of hammer bots in the sportsman class he will fit right in.
Just been choping his pointy nose wedge of.

Post Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:06 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Woo, Thread Necromancer ! *9 years between posts !
Good to see Frag heading out for a bit of action again,
Always an Entertaining bot to watch..
I just watched BBEp3, and Blacksmith is very reminiscent of Frag (+Fire).

Post Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Resurrected from half way down page 4. A little above IG's thread.
Time must of stooped then or something.

Thread wasn't dead though the link in the first post still works.

That really took me back.
Frantically building the pilot bots for the first Robowars.

Frag is the easiest bot to get ready of any were taking, apart from the rhinoplasty the original IBC pluged in and a modern RX and its good to go.

Leaving the red wheels as is, no under-cutters out there to cut the tires of. Smile

Post Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:17 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hah, Steve was trying to talk me into putting a Lo-KE Saw back on I.G. and bring it up to the nationals for the Sportsman class.. Smile

It would be nice to come and spectate, but I told him I'll compete and resurrect I.G. and maybe build a new bot *when we finally get someone down here who can get some events organized on a semi regular basis. Hopefully someone will appear eventually who can get (and keep) the ball rolling.

On that note, Barry said to get in touch after the school holidays and "make him an offer".. Id suggest coming and visiting there in person sometime and we can scope out whats in what condition, and what additional bits you want and haggle a bit.

Ill give you a call and we can figure out a mutually convenient time, if you want me to be there as well.

regards
Brett

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:41 pm