www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

Hi from Canberra (near it, anyway)

Author    Thread
GraS

Hi from Canberra (near it, anyway)

Hello there - inspired by my recent viewing of robots beating the crap out of each other at the Big Boys Toys expo, I'm now trying to design by own fighting bots. I have the basics worked out (I am starting from a point of zero knowledge) - battery, ESCs, wiring, rear motors, frame shape etc and am now muddling my way through the process of design so that I can begin to understand how the more custom mechanical components will work (namely; front spinning weapon).
I thought I'd give SketchUp a go, to design the layout however I've been unable to find much in the online libraries other than the TZ85a ESC and some generic drill motors.
I've read some old threads in this forum on CAD usage and am wondering what the current preferences are? Do others use a different CAD program/library?

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:47 am 
pilleya

I use SolidWorks for my CAD, but it really depends on what you can get access to for free or for low cost. I only use SolidWorks because I can get it for free as a FIRST Robotics Competition participant.

-CREO, AutoCAD and SolidWorks are available for low cost for uni/college students etc.

-If you can get a CAD model of something as a STEP file, you can usually import it into any software package.

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:15 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by pilleya:
-CREO, AutoCAD and SolidWorks are available for low cost for uni/college students etc.

AutoCAD and Inventor (and Revit) are free for students and educators. I've been using Inventor for 12 years and it's nice to finally have a free copy.

And if you need part files you can always look at GrabCAD.

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:43 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

onshape is free web based cad, autodesk have a free web cad too I think

Post Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GraS

I've managed to get a hold of AutoCAD2017 (my wife works at a Uni) - I think it'll be a while before my proficiency is where I want it. My skills development in this hobby will be glacially slow but I'll get there!

Post Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:28 am