www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Jolt & friends - Team Overkill - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 537, 538, 539 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

As well as getting toasty to hold, its really not good for the torch head. After looking at the two smallest pressure washers at Bunnings, I think they could be adapted. OTOH, many reviews mention that they are very noisy, leak and have a short lifespan; you get what you pay for.

The submersible pumps don't have enough pressure to pump coolant for the mill but I found plenty of the transfer pumps at the same or lower price on eBay; I will go cheap on the mill pump and get the better industrial pump for the welder - all sorted Smile

Post Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:08 pm 
shakesc

How about central heating pumps? Cheap and lots around
Usually running 1 , 1.5 bar but through 28mm connections
They have a flow rate of around 3m3 per hour

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:24 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

What coolant pump are you using (for the mill)?
I think the one we have is the one from H&F and it seems to work?

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have the H&F 1/4 HP pump, probably just a bit older than yours. It works fine with a short length of hose but with a filter in-line and a nozzle on the end of some Loc-line, the flow reduces to a dribble. Glen commented that those pumps have a poor reputation for low pressure. It could be that my pump is old & rusty inside but whatever the problem is, is needs replacing.

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:54 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I have the H&F 1/4 HP pump, probably just a bit older than yours. It works fine with a short length of hose but with a filter in-line and a nozzle on the end of some Loc-line, the flow reduces to a dribble. Glen commented that those pumps have a poor reputation for low pressure. It could be that my pump is old & rusty inside but whatever the problem is, is needs replacing.

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:55 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Post Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:18 am 
mark_m

some random ideas:
power steering pump?
convertable roof hydraulics pump
"parts washer" pumps

for tig rig: 2 pressurised containers, using airpressure instead of a pump, alternating which chamber is vented/pressurised

Post Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:33 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I am not sure some of those pumps will last long pumping water; unless they have bronze or stainless bodies & rotors, they will corrode. I don't know much about steering pumps; what sort of pressure can they generate?

Shed:

The walls are all done but the ceiling is taking ages to insulate & line - lifting the Hardiflex sheets and nailing them in position is a bastard of a job!

Post Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:20 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

That is looking great- looks like an art gallery👍

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Oh damn, isn't that looking sweet! huge! Hope you left room for that CNC mill finally Smile

And yeah those coolant 1/4hp pumps for mills are just dribblers, my lathes one isn't very impressive. I will probably clone this fellows setup for the mill -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5zzm5eqz8&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=CAnglin
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Superior-Pump-1-4-HP-Submersible-Thermoplastic-Utility-Pump-91250/204589831

Post Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

@ Miles: An art gallery you say? Perhaps I should host the 2017 Nats event instead of having it at the Ipswich gallery Laughing

@ Glen: Excellent video! That pump he is using looks about the same size as the one I have - mine is a cheapo from Bunnings though. I am also using a coolant filter idea from the NYC CNC guy; its a very free flowing filter element but between all the 90 degree fittings and the small diameter pipes, the flow is slowed down to a dribble.

In the photo above, the CNC mill is going about where the two short step ladders are. I haven't thought it through at all, but the idea is to build a long enclosure that stretches the full length between the columns and put the manual mill in there as well to save space and to share all the common facilities like the coolant system.

Post Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:17 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Welding table:

Now that the shed is usable and with 15 amp power just 2 days away, its time to start assembling the welding table. The parts are easy to assemble but came with a coat of rust, this isn't even the worst part:

Its a bit disappointing when the new tool looks like its been left out in the rain for a year Sad!. I cleaned all the edges and welding positions up with a flap wheel and hid the worst of the rust under the table. After an hour of sanding and 10 minutes of assembly, the table looks like this:

Its going to take a LOT more than three lengths of all-thread to get the table flat, so its back to Bunnings and the storage locker for more bolts & clamps.

Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:36 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Oh no - better tell h&f that its rusty and you want a further discount - or a free bottle of argon ⚙

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:06 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

H & F are really good about after-sales service; when I had a a mill problem and fixed it myself they sent me a really nice set of drills because they didn't have to come out for a repair. I got the table at a large discount at their annual sale so I doubt they will give me any money back, but some supplies would be neat.

Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:20 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Motorising the workshop:

Several new accessories arrived today:

The small green pump is for the TIG torch cooler; its smaller than I expected but looks to be a well made European item.

The blue pump at the back is for the mill flood coolant. It has plenty of flow when not hooked up to anything but doesn't develop much pressure. I think it can be improved with some simple changes and it has a .73 HP / 550W motor that is more powerful than the pumps used by many US machinists with good results.

Last, the red overhead hoist is to change heavy mill fixtures like the rotary table. Lifting the accessories on & off the mill is a real drag and this lets me do the job faster and with little effort. The gearbox is different to the 12V car winches and quite a bit faster, which might make it interesting for Sportsman lifters. The hoist was $109 on eBay so its quite comparable to the 12V winch as long as you don't mind changing the motor.

The mill enclosure design is finished; its a 2.1M high by 2.8M long by 1M deep monolith with 160Kg of steel tubing in the frame. Both the mills fit in with room to spare and their major accessories fit on shelves at the back.

Post Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:38 pm